Retro-fit Tow Bar

mjcourtney

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions / reccomendations for companies that could fit a tow bar to my A3 S-line? I didn't need one at the time I ordered last year, but could really do with one now. I've previously used Towsure, but they don't have any suitable products. Only place i've found is Witter, but the price is almost as much as the original Audi OEM option (£600).

I'm assuming I need a new rear valance with a tow bar cut out. I am reluctant to call the dealer to see if there is an Audi official retrofit, as I am guessing that'll be four figures!

Suggestions welcomed :)

Yup, guessing you'll be paying quite a lot for the OEM one, since it's a £650 option! It's a good system though, really neat, can't tell one is fitted at all really unless you look very closely.

You might be able to get a third party fixed towbar with 7 pin electrics for cheaper, but won't look as nice or be as flexible. If you want removable and 13 pin electrics, you'll have to pay I reckon. I believe the OEM one is made by Westfalia (looks like a Westfalia towbar to me anyway)

Reactions: mjcourtney
Aha, Westfalia - hadn't come across that one yet.

I've just searched their site and found this:
Westfalia Towbars & Wiring Kits - Setup Listing

£510 for the parts, plus i'd need the cut-out valance (£?).

I can see that being £700+ in total.... maybe i'll just change the car for one with a towbar instead!

What's the difference between 7/13 pin electrics?

Yeh, I fitted a westfalia removable towbar (similar to the Audi one) + 7 pin electrics to my old car for £299, at the dealers themselves. Was a good deal!

What's the difference between 7/13 pin electrics?

Whether you can fit 7 pin electrics I don't know, but basically 13 pin is the new European standard (well, it's not new to them, but is to the UK). It has all the connections of the old 2 plug system in one (if you have the 2 7 pin plugs, most have just 1 though), has a better connector, is more weather proof, doesn't rely on a friction fit, isn't susceptible to pin rot etc. You can get adapters to convert from one to the other. 13 pin has extra connections including a reversing light, 12V always on, 12V switched (used for caravan fridges), some extra ground connections for these. 7 pin doesn't have any of these.

Thanks, interesting to know. I primarily need it for a small trailer rather than caravan, but if 13 pin is the new standard I may as well try and get that.

I bit the bullet and called Audi. The complete kit from them is £527 (unsure if this included VAT), plus 6 hours labour at £130p/h.... Puts the total cost around £1,300...

Actually might be cheaper to change the car lol.

Ouch! I'd definitely question the 6 hours labour given that Westfalia list the installation time as 45 mins! Doesn't include electrics, but even so!

Yeah, I suspect their kit is essentially the Westfalia kit. Although they were unsure whether that price included the new rear valance, I suspect it didn't.

I can't see it taking more than 2 to 3 hours to fit, but I don't suppose there's any room to haggle on that front. Shall have to look at fitting a kit to my wife's car instead!

You could try telling the dealer it appears to be a 45 min job, cite the westfalia stuff, and let them know if they cant make it a more reasonable price you'll go elsewhere on the wifes car. Politely. If they can still turn a profit and hit a price you want they may do it.

You could try telling the dealer it appears to be a 45 min job, cite the westfalia stuff, and let them know if they cant make it a more reasonable price you'll go elsewhere on the wifes car. Politely. If they can still turn a profit and hit a price you want they may do it.

Yeah I could knock something off the price i'm sure. At the end of the day though i'm not gonna be happy paying over £600 for it, and that would mean they did the fitting for free - that won't happen. Just think it's extortionate price for the A3 really, I can fit one to the wife's car for less than £300...

Depends on the car. For a Skoda Superb it's circa £800, they have to rip up lots of the carpet to run the cable for the electrics apparently!

I just got a quote for around £600 with GT Towing in Welham Green near Potters Bar Jct 24 M25 for removable including the new valance from Audi.

This is on a A3 5 door sportback 8P Sline

I just got a quote for around £600 with GT Towing in Welham Green near Potters Bar Jct 24 M25 for removable including the new valance from Audi.

This is on a A3 5 door sportback 8P Sline

Just spotted the 8P bit, that might explain the lower price. I'll give them a ring though!