Retro fit of Rear View Camera

bluebarchetta

Reaction score
When I ordered my Avant I balked at the cost of the rear view camera because you had to add the Parking Assistance Pack as a minimum. I've fitted rear view cameras before, how hard can it be?

Well after a few days my answer is "fairly", but I do now have a working rear view camera.

I bought the camera and loom from k-electronic GMBH; knowing the instructions were in German and for a LHD car.

The instructions didn't quite work out of the box but K-electronic have been very helpful with sorting the right place to connect to and adapting the coding to work. The Russian vwts website with the wiring diagrams was help to trouble shot when cable the instructions predicted were there too...

The gist is:
Swap the standard handle for the handle with the camera
Run the cables to the fuse box on the LHS of the boot for power and earthing
Connect into the central electric control unit under the rear seat
Run the video cableto the rear of the MMI in the glovebox
Code addresses 5F, 9, 19 and 6c

If anyone else embarks on this I'm happy to say what worked for me, but I can't promise would work with every configuration.

Reactions: NicoS85 and Thundercliffe81
Well done for doing this and maybe a pictorial guide might be something you could produce for the future. Does it display the guide lines? One thing though, I have the camera and I didn't need to have any additional pack aside from the the standard front and rear sensors that came with the car. So it was 'only' £450 and no hassle...

Reactions: TripleD
I'm interested in doing this retrofit. The parts (replacement handle with camera and loom) are available from AliExpress for £140.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is running the video cable from the boot (I've got a saloon on order) to the front glovebox. What route did you use and how easy was it?

bluebarchetta do you have any more details of the coding?

Peter

Running the loom was relatively straight forward:
  • Removed the boot trim to fit the camera and to run the cables to the LHS compartment where I picked up the earth and power;
  • Ran the loom up the C pillar to get into the passenger compartment;
  • Ran one section to the controller under the rear seat;
  • Ran the remainder under the trim at the base of the doors to get to the trim in the passenger footwell, and;
  • Removed the glove box and MMI controller to get put the video cable in the back.
The coding would be the hard part without good instructions or support. There are different controllers for vehicles with adblue, stronic, front parking sensors etc., the coding is different for each. The German company I bought mine from gave me different coding to the ones that came with their std instructions.

You'd need to know what you're doing to do this from scratch.

bb

Reactions: NicoS85
£140 from China, that's enough to put me off! I miss the rear view camera, would love to have it retrofitted but at the cost it's just not worth the money IMO, as tempting as £140 is, I think spending £46k on a car if I were to do it I'd want genuine parts and a warranty so would go with one of the links cuke2u posted.

Reactions: cuke2u
The AliExpress listing shows an Audi part number (means nothing, it'll likely be generic parts supplied). Will Audi dealers supply parts that are not applicable to a chassis number because they were not fitted to the vehicle originally?

Years ago I had ETKA, is that still a thing and does it have the B9?