Retro fit OEM rear sun blinds

Az

Hard slammed!
Reaction score
I've been doing some searching and found a few threads on this over the years, quattrojames I'm expecting you to reply to this as I know you've done this to your avant.

My questions are,-

How good are they? As in, do they block bright sun well? We've got 2 kids and our youngest (11 months) in particular doesn't like the sun beating in onto her face. In your photos James they don't look that dark or that they block much light??

I'm not really fussed about drilling the top of the door cards but how do the top clips mount onto the door frame? 3M double sided?

Is this the right part number for them? - 4B9064362

And finally, how much are they Inc vat?

Cheers,
Az

They're very good, plenty dark enough for kids I'd think. They're a tailor made fit so very little light creeps round the edges.

The catches are screwed into the tops of the doors, but you could probably glue them if you wanted. You've seen my thread right?

The only criticism is that small hands can grab them and pull them, and potentially tear them. But they could do that with any blind to be fair.

I'd have to look out the part number for you, I think I paid about £65 from the dearly departed VAGparts, I'm not sure what they be now. Have you seen the full clip in mounted blinds people are getting now? They look quite good and less that £100 for an Avant. I'll find the link when I get home.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply James! :)

I didn't see a thread that had been started by yourself, just threads that were started by others that you replied to with a couple of photos. So the top clips are drilled into the door frames, not much room for error then!

That's one thing that would concern me I guess, with them being in easy grab distance, my 11 month old is grabbing everything in sight at the moment and is a nightmare, she has the touch of an elephant! What with the cost of them.

I want them to look as OEM as possible, I hate the stick on ones. Are you talking about the palm Automotive sun blinds? If so I had a look at their site and it wasn't very clear to me how they fit etc, plus no photos of them fitted to an a4. It's says 6 pieces in the pack so I'm assuming that's a blind for each rear door, a blind for each rear quarter window, and 2 blinds for the back window?? They're £85 for the lot. Not sure how good they look fitted though, don't want it looking cheap or anything, hence why I wanted OEM really, but if someone can prove me wrong with any after market blinds feel free!

Any got these palm automotive's fitted to their a4?

are you after the door blinds or rear window ?

My thread was actually on another forum, but I've plenty of photo's if you want to see them.

As I say they are quite robust, I doubt small hands would tear them, although they would probably stretch them out of shape a bit if they really tried, but this would apply to any blind. It depends on your child seat probably, but kids sit quite low in the back of an A4 so blinds won't be in reach until they're a certain age. It's possible the clip in blinds might not have a gap around the edge to allow fingers in to get a grip, I don't know.

I 'think' it's Palm Automotive that others have used, I recognise this site:

AUDI A4 2000-04, AUDI A4 - Van Styling Accessories

I'm not speaking from experience, but I think those who've got them have found them quite good, I can't recall who has them, but hopefully they'll see this.

I've no idea what Audi would want for a retrofit kit, but I might as well post the pics anyway:

Blinds001.jpg

Blinds002.jpg

Blinds006.jpg

Blinds005.jpg

Blinds009.jpg

Blinds012.jpg

Personally i don't like dark tints, and I don't like different tints between the front and rear windows either.

Personally i don't like dark tints, and I don't like different tints between the front and rear windows either.

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm not a fan of tinted windows on certain colour cars, I have tinted windows on my car at the mo, the rear windows that is, and I really don't think they suit dolphin grey paintwork, they were on the car when I bought it last July but I just haven't got round to removing them yet, I think it will look a lot cleaner looking without the tints. At least with blinds they can be retracted when not in use.

Thanks for the info and pics James, I'll contact my local audi parts guy to look them up for me, he's getting used to me going in with weird requests!

That link you put up James is palm automotive, I'd be interested to see if someone is using these palm blinds and how they'd compare to the OEM audi blinds in looks and fit etc.

Aron i have the "vanstyle" ones in my avant, it is one blind per side window and two for the rear screen and they are a perfect fit, i'll take a couple of piuctures of them tomorrow and post them up for you, my only issue with them is the rear being in two parts but thats how they are so thats how they are, and they do just pop in and out no drilling nothing have a look at the video clip on the site below as this is how they fit,
UV Car Shades (Set of 6) A4 Avant 2000-07 - AUDI A4 2000-04, AUDI A4 2004-08 - Vanstyle

I've got to say that the palm ones ( same company as vanstyle) are a much better fit than the OEM ones, only difference is the OEM ones obviously roll down and the others clip in and out,

Hi Matt,

That would be great if you could post some pics up! Thanks.

I did notice that about the palm blinds, with there being a join in the middle of the rear window blind, shame that.

What's with the small white strips on your OEM ones James? Could audi of done black strips if they have to be on the blinds?? Also, did audi ever do, or can you buy, an OEM rear window sun blind?

Those little strips are actually clear plastic, they're there to stop the unsupported corners of the blind sagging. The pictures make them look worst than they are in fairness.

If I was doing them again I'd probably just go for a set of Vanstyle blinds as I expect they cost similar and you can install them damage free and maybe one day sell them on, plus they cover all the windows.

I have these Palm Automotive / Vanstyle. Had a set on my previous car also. Very impressed. Excellent fit, fit right into the window frames so you cant see the edges. Just fit with a little black clip or two.The entire product is black. Stay in place whilst driving with windows down. There is nothing really for a little child to grab. As Matty said, the only down side is that the rear screen is in two pieces. But they nudge up tight together so again no real light creeping through the gap. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend these. Superb product. Little tip if you do buy:Check through ebay as Vanstyle have a shop on there and it work out a little cheaper buying them that way!

Thanks for the info and pics Jon! They do look very neat and tidy I must admit. It's a tough choice, I like the fact that the palm ones fit the whole of the window so there are no gaps for sunlight to come through, and I like the fact that I could sell them on if I was to part with the car. But, I'm one of these people that likes to fit OEM extras and I have a dig in the top of one of my rear door cards which could be nicely covered up if I go for the audi blinds....I think I'll contact audi today to get a price on them and go from there, if they are a ridiculous price then I'll go forth palm blinds for sure. I'll let you know how much they are!Cheers,Az

I have the vanstyle ones too and they are excellent, as mentioned the rear window does come in two parts so there is a strip down the middle but I don't fit the rear window one anyway as I don't find it's necessary. They are not cheap but definitely worth it.

Arron,
Obviously your call, and I understand that you want to keep OEM, BUT.............. !!!! surely its a no brainer?? The OEM looks dreadful , its bulky, you have to screw into the cards!!! doesnt even cover the window nicely. But as you say if you are sticking to the OEM theme then it does make it tricky.
Where do you live, just wodering if there is anyone near you that you could take a peek at them if that helped?

Last edited:
I know exactly what your saying Jon, it is kind of a no brainer, but I'm not entirely sure if I want blinds all round as it's only the kids I'm thinking of and it's only when the sun beams into their door windows that affects them. I've got tinted rear windows at the moment and I really don't like them so I'll be removing them when I get a chance.

I rang my local audi earlier and he couldn't find the blind on the system, I even gave him the part number in my original post and that didn't come up apparently. He also said that 4B parts are for A6's, so don't suppose you still have the part number of yours do you James? Maybe listed on the receipt when you bought them?

I've just found the receipt. I paid £54 plus vat and the part number is:

8E9 064 362

The OEM looks dreadful , its bulky, you have to screw into the cards!!! doesnt even cover the window nicely. But as you say if you are sticking to the OEM theme then it does make it tricky.

I think thats a bit harsh personally, yes they do sit on top of the door cards, but when do you ever sit in the back looking at them? And don't forget I took those photo's "of" the blinds so of course it makes them look more prominent than they are. When I bought mine they were all that was available.

Your only other alternative is to try and find an original set of factory blinds with them built into the door cards. If you manage to find a pair of them undamaged in a breakers in the right colour then I'd grab a lottery ticket on the way home ..... !

I think thats a bit harsh personally, yes they do sit on top of the door cards, but when do you ever sit in the back looking at them? And don't forget I took those photo's "of" the blinds so of course it makes them look more prominent than they are. When I bought mine they were all that was available.

QUOTE]
James, maybe it was a bit harsh, its my feeling based on the current choice of the two, sure something will come out that makes the tailor made blinds look like a poor option in due course!! Plus there are many who wouldnt be seen dead with these blinds whilst tinting is available.

Plus there are many who wouldnt be seen dead with these blinds whilst tinting is available.

I'm the opposite of that, personally I feel that any tint now beyond a light smoke has been done to death, and as mentioned by Az it doesn't appear to a Dolphin Grey car any favours either. A light tint all round is one thing, but darker in the rear (especially on cars of our age) looks retrofit and aftermarket to me.

James - Star man for digging out the receipt mate, appreciate that! I'll enquire again tomorrow with the correct part number! :)

Jon - Just about to pm you back mate.

Oh decisions! I'm torn. I like the look of the palm ones as they fill the whole window, but, I like the convienience of the OEM blinds for simply pulling up or retracting the blind and it stays in one place, rather than fitting the blinds and taking them down with every use and throwing them in the boot to get wrecked with work stuff. I sound lazy there, but another thing is I'm not sure I'd even use all the other blinds that come in the palm pack other than the door blinds, that kinda seems a waste then.

The palm automotive blinds are made to order, I'm sure if you emailed them you could buy only the ones you want rather than the whole set. They also come with a storage bag so they don't get ruined in the boot, they fit in the wet storage compartment above the spare wheel too.

I'm the opposite of that, personally I feel that any tint now beyond a light smoke has been done to death, and as mentioned by Az it doesn't appear to a Dolphin Grey car any favours either. A light tint all round is one thing, but darker in the rear (especially on cars of our age) looks retrofit and aftermarket to me.
I'm with you on that one. I am happy with just blinds as opposed to a tint. May change my mind in the future who knows but been happy with the blinds for two cars and over 4 years!!