Retro fit multi function steering wheel

TonyGW

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Can anybody recommend a decent company or person to retrofit a multi function steering wheel to our 2009 Audi A3 cabriolet?

It has cruise control but no satnav just the standard concert radio with blue tooth. I have looked at a few guides on hot to's but it seems to me that its a mine fields of various steering modules, wheel types and wiring looms that I think I might need an exper to do the job.
Seems to be hundreds of steering modules to choose from and no idea which ones will or wont work.

Thanks

There is plenty off posts on here about doing the retrofit , but if you feel it is over your head and you want a great job done + if you live close to london grab member @Ash187 ( audiretrofit ) top guy for retrofits

Someone mention me? Lol
On a 2009 it’s pretty much fit and code, you shouldn’t need to change the steering control module and as long as you get the right wheel you won’t have much hassle.
If you want a newer looking wheel you will need to do some wiring changes in the back of the airbag which can be a little scary.

Someone mention me? Lol
On a 2009 it’s pretty much fit and code, you shouldn’t need to change the steering control module and as long as you get the right wheel you won’t have much hassle.
If you want a newer looking wheel you will need to do some wiring changes in the back of the airbag which can be a little scary.

Hi Ash everyone becomes hesitant changing the wiring over for the airbag, since you’ve done many can you confirm if the airbag actually deploys correctly on a vehicle one of your customers has actually crashed?

Not heard of anyone actually confirming the repinning of the connector to deploy th airbag in an incident since no one is willing to test it to see if it would save their life (taking into account fitting a dual stage where a dual stage is removed).

Last edited:
I’ve never fitted a single stage to a dual stage.... neither has anyone complained to me about a failure of airbag.
I wouldn’t recommend fitting a single stage airbag on a dual stage car either.
There are plenty of wheels out there and nearly all have the dual stage option. You just need to know what you’re buying ir have someone like me supply and fit.

Wow thanks for the great replies. Unforutnately I am in Leicestershire (Near Loughborough) so London is a bit to far away which is annoying.. If anybody knows anybody local to me that would be great unless Ash ever travels this far north LOL

Form what I have read here you guys seem to think its pretty straight forward.? I am happy with the steering wheel thats fitted, so can the multi function controls be retorfitted or is it easier to replace the entire wheel? I have uplodaed a picture. I would realy like the steering wheel to be the same but with multi function controls.
Cheers all.

Attachments

• steering wheel.PNG
    steering wheel.PNG
    593.3 KB · Views: 84
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ash, I did indeed mean replacing a dual stage air bag in a car designed for dual stage.
Just wanted to know if one has actually had a car where it deployed correctly other than the wiring being in the correct position.

Tony give it a go it’s very straight forward when you have the right steering wheel (you’ll swap for a replica of your current but has switches) and airbag MFSW harness, an I’m in Coventry not too far so could help.

I have the exact same wheel which I find pretty nice. Also mine is in perfect condition. So I would also like to know if it is possible to only fit the two button modules.
Are the two trim pieces removable so to be swapped with the buttons?

Someone mention me? Lol
Do the 2009 models have the Highline control module by default?
Is there a way to check without VCDS?

Wow thanks for the great replies. Unforutnately I am in Leicestershire (Near Loughborough) so London is a bit to far away which is annoying.. If anybody knows anybody local to me that would be great unless Ash ever travels this far north LOL
Lol I was up in Peterborough yesterday but it’s a rare occasion if I’m honest. Best to bring the car down to my workshop in West London.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ash, I did indeed mean replacing a dual stage air bag in a car designed for dual stage.
Just wanted to know if one has actually had a car where it deployed correctly other than the wiring being in the correct position.
If it’s dual stage to dual stage then there is no messing around with the airbag wires. So your question doesn’t make sense
Do the 2009 models have the Highline control module by default?
Is there a way to check without VCDS?
If you can’t scan it then have a look at the part directly. It’s not easy but it’s on the other side of the lower cowling under the steering wheel

If you can’t scan it then have a look at the part directly. It’s not easy but it’s on the other side of the lower cowling under the steering wheel

I suppose I have to take off the steering wheel so to next remove the lower trim to remove the module.
It is not visible without removing it. Right?

Reactions: George Kost
Hi Guys
Anybody recommend where to buy the airbag cable harness / loom from for the MFSW upgrade. I need the loom with the extra connection for the MFSW. I have checked ebay but not much luck there. not sure where else to try

Help!
Cheers

Cheers, I could but this would prohibit the project due to their exteme prices. I was hoping to find a used second hand loom as cheap as possible.

Any other ideas appreciated.