Retro fit Cruise Control to S3

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.tuffty.co.uk
Hi all

I have read loads of posts and followed quite a few links from people who have asked about or have already retro fitted cruise control on drive-by-wire S3's.

I have as yet though been able to work out exactly what parts I need, how its wired and how to sort it out in VAGCOM afterwards.

Seems to be loads of snippets of info or 'yeah, I dun it' type posts so thought that some one could post here exactly whats required as it seems to be quite a useful and cheap mod to do. I certainly want to have a go..

Cheers

<tuffty/>

I would also be interested in a good proper guide as i havent found one to date.

I've done quite a lot of Skoda and VW 1.8T's and TDi's and I couldn't imagine the A3 to be much different.

Generally the 1.8T's require an extra wire from the through scuttle terminal box to the ECU. TDI's tend to already have it in place.

VAG-COM side of things is easy, enter the login 11463 in the Engine 01 controller.

I would think one of the VW kits which include the loom would work but I am only summising as like I said I've never actually done an A3.

Has anyone done it on an A3 TDI facelift? I want to do it but dont want to do any wiring. Will it be plug and play?

Awesome GTi are doing it on ebay for £117 fitted.

I think i may go for this but if its easy ill do it myself

Seen that... just emailed them to see if they can supply it as parts only. I live too far away for them to do it.

If I can at least get the parts, I will post the part numbers etc then take pics for a tutorial as I fit it..

<tuffty/>

That would be good fella, also let us know how much they will want for just parts.

The only thing im not comfortable with is any wiring i will need to do on my TDI, although ive read that on TDI's that some of the wiring is there. But its all very sketchy

I am also fitting Cruise. Do I need to remove steering wheel?

That is a very good price, I wouldn't do it for that myself it's not worth the hassle especially on a 1.8T.

Thanks for the info, obviously the A4 is a bit different to the A3 method but the basics are there.

Got some info back from awesome gti and they said I could have the bits for £100 inc postage and instructions... this sound reasonable? Vagparts have the stalks for £50 and I can't imagine the wiring will cost that much on top.

<tuffty/>

I think £100 is steep, but £117.50 fitted is an absolute bargain.

Could you not work it around a trip to midlands?

I live in Gloucestershire so would be a bit of a trip, I may well just hold out for someone to be nice and come up with the part numbers and go from there I think.

Vagparts actually do kits for £50 but not it seems for the A3/S3, the A3 stalk is about £35 and part of the loom (not sure if it the right one though) is £17. I believe there is another bit of wiring required too.

They are doing the fitted price that cheap to get people through the door which is fair enough but £100 just for the parts does seem a little OTT IMO...

There must be someone on here that has got the part numbers and knows how to fit one and that they would be happy to impart the knowledge to others wanting to have a go.

If I was closer I might well have taken them up on the offer tbh but I am not so DIY it is.

I have emailed vagparts asking if they do a kit or if they know which bits are needed but as of yet I have had no reply. :(

<tuffty/>

yeah i think its a bit rich as you can get the stalk from vag parts for £35.
Id say e-mail awesome to say you think your going to buy the kit but could you get a copy of the instructions to see if you would be capable of the DIY.

i did my 1999 A3 Quattro DBW about 6 months ago..it was quite easy once i got my head round it all.... basically you change the stalk (obviously) and you then have if memory serves me right 4 extra wires that come off a loom that you also need to purchase with the stalk .... most of the info on the web tells you that you have to wire these to a conector in the relay box.... to do this you need to remove the wipers as you need access under the plastic scuttle ... they then tell you that you need a loom making to go from the relay box to the ecu... in the guide i used it was for a TT and this part of the loom is already there.. however on the A3 it isnt... this is partly why they tell you to wire it to the relay box....however... what i did was just increase the length of the new loom that plugs into the new stalk and then run the wires straight through the bulkhead and and into the ECU 2 of them get joined together anyway so basically all you have to do is run 3 wires from the new stalk and add them to the plug that goes into the ECU (thats the hardest bit btw ) so .. wheel off , wipers off , plastic scuttle off , fit new stalk with modified loom , run loom through bulk head (you choose how you do that ) splice wires into ECU socket (tricky ) ... reassemble ,,, VAGCOM it and away ya go... if you do a lot of motorway driving as i do it's a brilliant mod... and as mentioned get ya bits from VAGParts.... if people really want a step by step with photos etc then i guess i could sort something at weekend but i would just be canabalising the TT guide thats about..

Excellent :D

Thanks, thats a great bit of info... if you could just find a link to the guide that would be useful...

Are these the parts we need?

Stalk, loom

Not sure about the loom, if you have a part number for that then I can get it from the stealers.

Pics on where to connect it into the ECU would be the most useful as removing all the rest of the kit 'should' be straightforward enough.

Thanks again

<tuffty/>

If you have a 1.8T the buy this part from a Skoda Dealer - BEA300003. It has the additional wiring that you need to get to the ECU already and will cost you around £60.

The stalk is the same as you have pointed out, the loom you mention is for TDi's and would need modifying for a 1.8T.

Thanks Stu, based on that the Awesome GTI deal doesn't sound that bad. I am not too fussed about having to modify the loom if thats the case as there is a big difference in price but at least the option is there :)

<tuffty/>

HI
Yes it is a cracking deal that we have been doing there , my opinion too cheap ;) but hey
The kit we fit and supply come with a custom made loom , that is what makes it that bit more expensive
But as has been said , cracking price , why do it yourself
With Trafford centre just down the road and Christmas just round the corner , we get quite a few people coming up and having a shopping trip in with the day out
If anyone has any questions , please feel free to ask
Sarah

Yes , but this is something that is being offered on ebay
So it is cheaper on there
Or give us a call on 0161 7760777 press option 1 ask for Andy in sales and he can get this organised for you , just quote the ebay price
Sarah

I think im going to book mine in at the end of the month, depending on funds, before xmas.

IMO a very good deal. But if it was plug and play id definatly do it myself

Eventually got around to looking at this again... managed to find a good deal from VW Teeside on ebay (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/VW-Teesside) however the instructions are for a Golf and while I realise that VAG cars are generally the same for core parts across Audi's, VW's, SEAT's and Skoda's, I just want to be sure the diagram sent will work for my S3.

The fitting instructions they supply are here: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/VW-Teesside/Fitting-Guides.html

Is this going to be accurate for my S3?

The kit came with 3 looms and the 1J0 style stalk.

EDIT:
Here are the part numbers of the looms and stalk for those that want them...

1J0 953 513 01C (stalk)
1J0 971 425 A (stalk loom)
1J0 971 425 B (80 pole ECU harness)
1J0 971 425 C (121 pole ECU harness)

<tuffty/>

Righty.... done it!!!! what a PITA too!!! but worth it, works really well and worth the effort...

Buy one and get it done if you haven't already :)

can any one give me a clue how to work cruise control lol, I have it on my s3, but i dont know how to use it! or if it is working!

You are just showing off now, LMAO:p
I wish i had DBW, tuning is easier, add on are easier, grrrrrrr.:haha:

I know the A3 is DBW but i can't have the mrs have more gadgets than me now can I ,:undwech:

Awesome did mine and i'm pretty glad, it turned out that my car had an anti-tamper device over part of it which turned out to be right bitch to get off lol.

did you have to buy the extra loom as well ?

The kit I bought from ebay came with all the looms you need. I listed them further up....

One loom is used from the cruise stalk to the connector block on the scuttle and then one of the 2 other looms (depends on the type of ECU you have) goes from there to the ECU.... thats about it

Biggest headache is removing everything to get to it and working out how to get the wiring through to the engine bay. Don't bother trying to find a way through the existing grommet in the centre, I drilled a hole on one of the sides and went through there... I already had done that to run a boost gauge pipe through so I just opened the grommet a tad and resealed it all.

Its a bit scary pulling the ECU plug apart but luckily its well designed and is relatively idiot proof so you shouldn't end up with it falling apart when you do it.

<tuffty/>

Think i may do this soon, but bluetooth is on my list first

You are just showing off now, LMAO:p
I wish i had DBW, tuning is easier, add on are easier, grrrrrrr.:haha:

I know the A3 is DBW but i can't have the mrs have more gadgets than me now can I ,:undwech:

Stacie would know how to use cruise control mate, her foot is always buried in the floor boards!!! :racer:

can any one give me a clue how to work cruise control lol, I have it on my s3, but i dont know how to use it! or if it is working!

There are 2 buttons on the end of the LH stalk which increase and decrease the set speed, and an on/off slider switch on the front of the stalk.

The bottom one (SET) also starts cruise at the current speed if it's not already activated.

The top one (RES) also resumes cruise at the last preset speed if it's not already activated.

Cruise is switched off by either pressing the brake or clutch pedal or by using the on/off switch.

Got it fitted 2 weeks after getting my S3 last year, and would not be without it now. Makes for effortless motorway cruising, and handy for these stupid average speed limit zones!

Cheers,