Restoring plastic colour

silent_wolf

Reaction score
Some of the plastic panels have faded on my car obviously from standing in the sun. The red buttons for the seats belts are faded, the scuttle board below wipers and the panel on the back bumper have started to loose their colour.

Is there a chemical or something that I can put on them to restore it? I have tried looking for this before but the only thing I can find is on a merc forum and there wasn't much info, just that there could be some kind of marine chemical that works. Anyone know?

On black plastic such as the scuttle panel, use a heat gun (obviously remove the scuttle first) but if you gently heat the surface the plastic will return to its original colour. A lot of mk1 corsa owners used to do this on the unpainted black arches.

Reactions: silent_wolf
I use Aerospace 303 on the scuttle panel.

Heat gun can get good results, do have to be careful with it though! . .

I just use a silicone spray - Cheap as hell and works a treat, I use it as tire shine shine as well. . . Either spray a bit on and rub in with a cloth, or spray it on the cloth and rub in. (If using it on tires be careful not to spray it on the discs!!!!!!) and because it's silicone based it works with the plastic to help protect. It's no permanent fix mind, I just give it the once over every time I clean the car...