Resonator delete pipe

GTz

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a Resonator delete pipe for the A3 1.8T?
I've contacted zaustworx, but said they only do it for the 2.0T which is a different design/size, and it won't fit mine.

Thanks

Any half decent exhaust place who make their own systems should be able to cut a resonantor out and replace with a piece of stainless. Try a longlife dealer, my local one is Topgear Stockport who did this for me on my old Leon FR for around £90:

I would say though, I personally wouldn't recommend just getting a resonator delete. My Leon FR 2.0 TSI I had a few years ago was Stage1 mapped but otherwise stock and the resonator delete did add a bit more noise, but the trade off for it Vs the drone on the motorway at 70-80mph was awful. I didn't start magically getting pops and bangs just a bit more noise on DSG gear changes but that was it. The resonator isn't the main culprit for dulling the sound, it's the pre-cat and cat and backbox which are the main restrictions, the resonator really just takes some of the vibrations and harsh noise out.

Having now done it properly on my S3 8p i.e full turbo back system with a race cat and minimal backbox is a million times better. Obviously alot more expensive but worth it if noise is what you're after and are considering future performance mods to increase power - an exhaust upgrade is essential if so.

If you want to do it on the cheap you're probably better opting for a new downpipe which removes the pre cat, or get the backbox replaced with a better system (or a full catback if you can stretch to a few hundred quid - just avoid Milltek, they're ****, get a scorpion system instead). Upto you, but I think you'd grow to hate the resonator delete cos I certainly did after a while.

I would consider making sure you dont have a small resonator after the cats before the rear resonator. Some have two, some have one and some none. However, the rear resonator can be switched out to a Vibrant resonator which will increase exhaust tone and decrease drone to nonexistent

Any half decent exhaust place who make their own systems should be able to cut a resonantor out and replace with a piece of stainless. Try a longlife dealer, my local one is Topgear Stockport who did this for me on my old Leon FR for around £90:

I would say though, I personally wouldn't recommend just getting a resonator delete. My Leon FR 2.0 TSI I had a few years ago was Stage1 mapped but otherwise stock and the resonator delete did add a bit more noise, but the trade off for it Vs the drone on the motorway at 70-80mph was awful. I didn't start magically getting pops and bangs just a bit more noise on DSG gear changes but that was it. The resonator isn't the main culprit for dulling the sound, it's the pre-cat and cat and backbox which are the main restrictions, the resonator really just takes some of the vibrations and harsh noise out.

Having now done it properly on my S3 8p i.e full turbo back system with a race cat and minimal backbox is a million times better. Obviously alot more expensive but worth it if noise is what you're after and are considering future performance mods to increase power - an exhaust upgrade is essential if so.

If you want to do it on the cheap you're probably better opting for a new downpipe which removes the pre cat, or get the backbox replaced with a better system (or a full catback if you can stretch to a few hundred quid - just avoid Milltek, they're ****, get a scorpion system instead). Upto you, but I think you'd grow to hate the resonator delete cos I certainly did after a while.
Thanks. I'm not really looking to go full out and spend so much on a new exhaust setup, just looking to make the existing one slightly louder. I was told by other 8P users that a 'resonator delete' was the best option for me, and it wouldn't cause any drone noises.

Would you say a backbox delete/straight pipe would be a cheaper alternative? I want it to be legal as well, and be okay for mot emissions.

Thanks. I'm not really looking to go full out and spend so much on a new exhaust setup, just looking to make the existing one slightly louder. I was told by other 8P users that a 'resonator delete' was the best option for me, and it wouldn't cause any drone noises.

Would you say a backbox delete/straight pipe would be a cheaper alternative? I want it to be legal as well, and be okay for mot emissions.
A resonator delete will almost certainly introduce drone, it's what it's primarily there to prevent. Whether or not you find that irritating or not is down to preference and how you drive it. It'll only drone at a specific speed usually which is often around motorway cruising speed, in my Leon FR it was around 70mph which was irratating on motorway drives. If you do these sort of journeys alot I really wouldn't recommend a resonator delete. If you mostly do short journeys round town and don't get upto those speeds much then you may love it and it will add some noise, it's just crude and not the nicest sound in my opinion.

It's a cheap mod to have it done though, and they'll give you the resonator back so if you hate it you could always have it put back in.

In terms of other options, it's going to come down to budget, you'll have to spend a few hundred quid to have a different system fitted. Don't get a backbox delete, that would be way too much. Not sure what systems are available for the 1.8T, most are aimed at the 2.0 A3/S3 for obvious reasons so you'd have to look around.

Reactions: GTz and vdt
A resonator delete will almost certainly introduce drone, it's what it's primarily there to prevent. Whether or not you find that irritating or not is down to preference and how you drive it. It'll only drone at a specific speed usually which is often around motorway cruising speed, in my Leon FR it was around 70mph which was irratating on motorway drives. If you do these sort of journeys alot I really wouldn't recommend a resonator delete. If you mostly do short journeys round town and don't get upto those speeds much then you may love it and it will add some noise, it's just crude and not the nicest sound in my opinion.

It's a cheap mod to have it done though, and they'll give you the resonator back so if you hate it you could always have it put back in.

In terms of other options, it's going to come down to budget, you'll have to spend a few hundred quid to have a different system fitted. Don't get a backbox delete, that would be way too much. Not sure what systems are available for the 1.8T, most are aimed at the 2.0 A3/S3 for obvious reasons so you'd have to look around.
Thanks for your help.

I’m relatively new to exhaust ‘modding’, so not really sure what ‘drone’ sounds or feels like. Are there any videos of the 8P with this, so I can get a ruff idea?