Resonator Delete, flange or no flange?

Hendy

Reaction score
Looking to get the Resonator delete at the weekend, the guy I spoke to seemed clued up said he has done quite a few before and offered £100 for the delete or £160 for the delete but flanging all the ends for future.

I know it's probably just an opinion but it would be good to hear any pro's/con's and what the majority of people think would be best.

I had mine clamped and it was leaking, it couldn't be fixed even with the Audi clamps. Go with welding, it's still easy to take it off.

Forgive my ignorance, what does he mean by flanging?

Forgive my ignorance, what does he mean by flanging?

Rather than welding a pipe in, it would have flanges each end which would bolt together. Basically means it would be easily switchable back to resonated.

Rather than welding a pipe in, it would have flanges each end which would bolt together. Basically means it would be easily switchable back to resonated.

You'd still need to put the car on a ramp, I would never do that kind of work with a jack or axel stands you need room to move. Welded will limit future problems.

You'd still need to put the car on a ramp, I would never do that kind of work with a jack or axel stands you need room to move. Welded will limit future problems.

Never said it would be a diy job :stupid:

Yes, god knows how I did but one day opening the car at work it just sounded different. Don't know why and it was nothing obvious but didn't sound right, so I took it back the next day and the pipe they put in had black all around the joins. They tried to seal it, but it didn't work and ended up having it welded in the end.

Never said it would be a diy job :stupid:

Just saying because I thought clamps would be easier to remove, but logically you can't do it yourself anyway unless you have a ramp / pit. Always better now it's welded, rather than asking what if it's leaking again.

Just borrowing the thread for a quick question - hope it's okay.

Going to get a resonator delete myself and I have already decided to get the BCS with drone delete pipe which uses clamps. After reading this I may want to use something like the below to seal the joints. Any experience with this?

Last edited:
So far it looks like welding is the best option then, he said it would be about £100 to get the resonator welded back in at a later date if required so will probably just do that, worst case I paid an extra £40.

Reactions: AudiNutta
So far it looks like welding is the best option then, he said it would be about £100 to get the resonator welded back in at a later date if required so will probably just do that, worst case I paid an extra £40.

That's expensive to put it back in, seeing as the first time he is supplying material. When I have mine put in, I expect around £40.

Just borrowing the thread for a quick question - hope it's okay.

Going to get a resonator delete myself and I have already decided to get the BCS with drone delete pipe which uses clamps. After reading this I may want to use something like the below to seal the joints. Any experience with this?

They used something similar on mine, but it kept leaking.

**update and further question/opinion**

I got my resonator delete done at the weekend, wasn't 100% sure the guy was competent to do the job just going on certain things he was saying, but being such an easy job and having "done loads of these before", I let him go ahead (they build custom exhaust's so thought this would be easy) - the 1hr job turned into 2hrs got the car back and the exhaust pipes weren't correctly aliened, another hour later and it was complete (you can watch the guys work so I know he was genuinely working on it this long).

After the second time he showed me underneath the car and explained what he had done, all looked fine - he used the original clamp as the part to join which I was and am still a bit wary of.

So after driving the car home and out and about for a couple of days I feel it's louder than maybe it should be and just don't feel 100% happy with it, something at the back if my mind just tells me it's not complete to the best standard.

So the question is, would it be louder if the joint/clamp wasn't put back in place correctly?
Is there an easy way to tell if there is a joint/weld that is maybe 'leaking'?

Maybe I am just being paranoid and that is how it is meant to sound etc. but I am thinking of booking in to another custom exhaust place to get it checked out, one with a good reputation - I know I should have went here first, but it's further away and more awkward to get to etc. and with it being such an easy job, lesson learned.

thanks for any feedback/ opinion.

I put the BCS on our Golf R using the Holts sealant

Put plenty of the holts on the section of pipe I cut and it’s been faultless.

2ebeb759e8e17391c8197ab0ffda2dbe.jpg

Reactions: RSS-S3