Resonated or Non, Sports-Cat or De-Cat? Advice Please

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to get a full TB system (looking like a Milltek) so I can go Stage 2+ but can't decide what to go for. I want max power gains but don't want the car to be 'chav' loud and can't have any droning as I use the car for lots of motorway miles, and with customers in.

So whats the best option, resonated or non-resonaated, sports cat or de-cat. On a mix? I want understated power!

Also, whats the difference between the 2 different tips Milltek make?

Or if Milltek is not the way forward, what other brand? :)

First things first, great addition to the car, you won't regret it.

Couple of question. Do you have children? Do you have a dog that travels in the boot often? Does you wife/girlfriend/boyfriend moan a lot about you modifying your car?

If the answer to any of these is yes, then go resonated! If the answer is no then go non-res! The noise is lovely!

Last edited:
Dont go Milltek, they started to make them in China so quality became poor lately. Supersprint TBE resonated should do the job or get downpipe and sport cat at least.

First things first, great addition to the car, you won't regret it.

Couple of question. Do you have children? Do you have a dog that travels in the boot often? Does you wife/girlfriend/boyfriend moan a lot about your modifying your car?

If the answer to any of these is yes, then go resonated! If the answer is no then go non-res! The noise is lovely!

TBH, I'll like it to sound standard if poss. Resonated then?

Thanks!

Dont go Milltek, they started to make them in China so quality became poor lately. Supersprint TBE resonated should do the job or get downpipe and sport cat at least.

Really?? That doesn't sound good considering the prices they change! I'll look it to the Supersprint one as well...

If money was no object then Supersprint with its twin exit pipes (although you'll also need budget for plastic welding a rear diffuser to accommodate the extra pipage). Otherwise Blueflame for me.

Millteks are very good, but I think they have suffered on the S3 due to the way the engine rears back on hard acceleration. I'd only recommend fitting one if you put an uprated rear engine mount in which will steady things up a bit. They may well have manufactured a fix in by now, and their customer services is reputed to be very good, but it's the inconvenience factor that I can't be doing with.

Others to consider, Pipewerx, and N8 knows of another custom fabricator whose name escapes me.

Supersprint look good, but how much!!

I've emailed Blueflame. I can't believe how hard it is to spend my money! Might have to go Milltek if no one else gets back to me. They are the only company that have replied to my emails so far!

Cheers guys.

If I m still struggling I might just go for a DP and sports cat and get a reducer to mount to the OEM back box system.

Just as food for thought, these small companies often don't have the manpower to respond to emails, it's always better to pick up the phone.

Blueflame have replied! Might go with there full system, don't want it too loud though! Anyone heard one in real life (i.e. not youtube) :)

I'm getting a tbe from milltek with a sports cat and like you I don't want it to be Chavy loud so have gone for a resonated system. I should be getting it fitted this month some time as milltek are out of stock ATM but are getting a delivery from there main factory in next couple of weeks. So once I get it fitted I could take a video of it stood still revving and going past and also in the cabin if you haven't made your mind up by then If that's any help.

My resonated Milltek is nice and quiet unless you're on hard acceleration, when it sounds beefier and better than OEM. It's a slightly bassier sound on tick over, but not boomy at all on the motorway...

The Milltek has been fine, but if I was doing it over again I'd get a Pipewerx...

Me personally id go de-cat! My guy is in Burton Upon Trent. Did pipework on my cousins Big Turbo TT a few years ago, the quality is absolutley spot on! His Milltek never fitted right anyway, not sure thats down to the exhaust or the fitter it was AMD Bicester that did it many years ago! In my opinion Millteks quality has gone down over the years. If I was going for one again it would be with them.

Paul - Motorwize - 07784 059024

Again I always talk from experience. I rate him highly.

Cheers N8.

Pipewerx could be loud. I had one on a Mk2 Jetta GTi 16v about 10 years ago and it was quite oppressive.

Blue flame are quite similar in sound to Milltek, maybe a little more bark at the top end but it's much of a muchness. It's general consensus MV Sport is a rebadged Blue Flame so if it is I can tell you from 2 years of use that it's just slightly dronier with the non-res than the OEM unit, but due to the straightness of the pipes it tends to fire the noise straight out the back rather than harbouring it under the car and annoying the crap out of you.

I haven't got any video to hand with it fitted where you can hear it clearly but I'll check tonight.

I've just been chatting with the guy from Pipe Werxs, sounds good and a good deal too!

Warren - you had anymore recent experience with them? The TT boys seem to rave about them.

Warren - you had anymore recent experience with them? The TT boys seem to rave about them.

Not really.

Many many moons ago when Mondeo man was voting in that jug eared tw@t whose beloved party left the economy in absolutely dire straits, I met a man in Wigan called Ian Birch at a VW show. Back in the day he was a bit of a VW legend making twin engined VR6 Golfs, Lupo's and such the like and once a year he'd take these monsters to GTi International (the decent one that used to be in Crowthorne). My Jetta had valve stem seal issues, so I took my car upto his tuning centre (Dubsport) where Mr Birch kindly dropped a 1.9 conversion into the car and fabricated a complete custom exhaust system from a Corrado and made it fit the Jetta!

Now to be honest it was a good piece of engineering, if a bit lairy, but I can't fault the quality. Problem for me was the drone, but I guess the new ones are likely to be much better.

I'd imagine you could give him a brief and he'd fulfil it, so if you don't want gangster then he can probably do it. The only time I've spoken with them since was when I was investigating converting my current backbox to twin RS style ovals (for last S3), and they said they could do that. May still get them to do it as it's cheaper than buying a new system.

blue flame on my mates ed30 2.0 tfsi at stage 2+ (same engine) sounds awesome. quiet when driving normally. mega sweet when going for it!

I fitted NonRes SuperSrint on my S3 about three months ago and i love it:wub:
In the beginning the exhaust had really nice deap sound and after 500 miles
the sound is even more amazing! Milltek on my mates S3 cant compare with SS
and the quality is TOP!
No drone on motorway at all and when you floor it down the sound is agressive.
If you can than go with SS NonRes and sport cats!

Just had a good chat with Jeff from Pipe Werx, and says he can meet my need of keeping it OEM quiet but while letting lose the power!

So we have agread to go with:

3" DP and 200 Cell Sports Cat
2.5" Cat Back System with Resonator
My choice of tips (going for same as OEM)
Install and road setup Revo Stage 2+ software

Roll on the 15th of Feb :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Just had a good chat with Jeff from Pipe Werx, and says he can meet my need of keeping it OEM quiet but while letting lose the power!

So we have agread to go with:

3" DP and 200 Cell Sports Cat
2.5" Cat Back System with Resonator
My choice of tips (going for same as OEM)
Install and road setup Revo Stage 2+ software

Roll on the 15th of Feb :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Thanks for everyone's advice!

I'm considering to get same set up as yours. Do you know roughly how much that would set me back? Cheers, btw OEM tail tips rock! Besides what is the difference between 100 and 200 cell sport cat? Is it louder, better performance etc?

If you find it drones in the cabin you can always heatwrap or ceramic coat the exhaust.

I'm considering to get same set up as yours. Do you know roughly how much that would set me back? Cheers, btw OEM tail tips rock! Besides what is the difference between 100 and 200 cell sport cat? Is it louder, better performance etc?

You would have to contact them about price mate. I've gone for 200 cell as I don't not want any problems when it comes to MOT time, and the fact that Jeff recommended it as the K04 turbo likes a bit of back pressure. Some 100 cell cat some times don't pass MOTs due to too much emissions.