Reseting Long life service indicator

awmw

Reaction score
I've just been asked by a friend if I can reset the service indicator on his Audi TT.

I said, no problem, as I have vag com and have reset my own service indicator using the instructions on the Ross Tech website.

Then he knocked my confidence by saying that the local garage that did the oil change told him that normally they can reset the service indicator themselves using a generic scan tool but this wouldn't work on his car as the car is set to long life servicing.

Is there a different procedure for reseting the long life service indicator or was this just an excuse the garage used?

Thanks
Adrian

Dunno, but I know mine has 3 indcators that come up when something needs done. Oil, In1 & In2. If you check the owners manual you will see what the intervals should be set for. It maybe this that they may not have been sure of or were unable to set correctly.

< editited after Sebastian''s post below >
!!Please read Sebastians post below!!
It might be worth trying this on your friends TT,
This is what the Owner's manual says on my A6;(2001)
"resetting service indicator
the display is reset by the Audi dealer after the service has been carried out
If the service is not carried out, the display must be reset as follows

1. switch off ignition
2. press button (2) and hold while switching on the ignition.
the display should now read "SERVICE!"
(button 2 on an A6 is the one on the right, which normally resets the trip computer)
3. press and hold button (1) until the word "service!" is cleared from the display.
note don't clear the indicator between services, otherwise it will be incorrect
"

It may be that the above doesn't work on long life cars. Let us know

cheers

Adam

There are several versions of resets, but long life resets are always the same. The procedures described on our website are proven to work and what they told you sounds like excuses to me. FWIW, the procedure described by Adam leads to disabling the long life and switching back the fixed intervals, so the only way to reset long life / flexible intervals for real is using diagnostics via instrument cluster channel 2.

I went and reset the service indicator today.
I followed the Ross Tech instructions and set channel 02 to zero.

The hardist part was finding the OBD socket!

Thanks for all your help

Adrian