Reputable GAP insurance company

frazzeld

Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone recomend a Reputable GAP insurance company

I've googled for GAP insurance and the first link is directgap . co . uk

£159 for 3yrs cover, seems very cheap compared to what Audi want

Any help appreciated

I used gapinsurance.co.uk which is the Frank Pickles one but know ALA is also a popular insurance product used from what I’ve read

Reactions: sve170
I’m With ALA, I’m struggling to find the price. Only heard good things but you only truly know of if the worst happens.

Reactions: NevMan and frazzeld
I’ve taken out ALA for 4 years costing £278.00 on a £28k S3 8v.

I don’t know if they are reputable as I’ve not had to claim but they have a 5* Defaqto rating for 4 years running if that means anything?

All the above mentioned companies are reputable. :)
I'm with Car2Cover, and cost me £208 for 3 years Vehicle Replacement Insurance(VRI) on my brand new S3 in June this year.

Reactions: frazzeld and TomBlueS3
Ive just been quoted on ALA but it wouldn't let me put the claim potential to full invoice price, max 20k

The claim will never be for full invoice price.....GAP insurance covers the shortfall between your insurance payout and original invoice/outstanding finance/or vehicle replacement.

Reactions: sve170, frazzeld and TomBlueS3
Ive just been quoted on ALA but it wouldn't let me put the claim potential to full invoice price, max 20k

Yeah that’s correct - I’ve got a 20k payout max (I figured that over the next 4 years my own insurance would pay out at LEAST 8k for my S3 if it became a write off - the car cost 28k. So if GAP pay 20k then my own insurance only need to pay 8k.

Chances are over the next 4 years my insurance would still payout around 15k So GAP would only need to cover 13k

Hope that makes sense :)

I’m also with ALA for my Q5......and I went for back to invoice cover, over 4 years.

Hi, Can anyone recomend a Reputable GAP insurance company

I've googled for GAP insurance and the first link is directgap . co . uk

£159 for 3yrs cover, seems very cheap compared to what Audi want

Any help appreciated
lol try getting a quote from Audi insurance compared to what you have!!!

As for gap I used https://totallossgap.co.uk/ who are owned and operated by Aequitas Automotive Limited in the UK.

I took out gap insurance with Admiral earlier this week, £178 for 3 years on my S3.

Chose them simply because my car insurance is with Admiral also so thought I might as well keep it all within the same company.

Suppose I will only find out if they are any good if the worst happens!

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Jcbmally
I took out gap insurance with Admiral earlier this week, £178 for 3 years on my S3.

Chose them simply because my car insurance is with Admiral also so thought I might as well keep it all within the same company.

Hummm. Many brokers will tell you that you should never tell your basic car insurance company in the first instance that you have gap insurance until quite late in the proceedings, because the basic insurer tends to quote a lower figure to you if they know you have GAP.

Forgot to say, there are policies that are transferable if you replace your car after a short period of time within the GAP insurance time period. Naturally the upper value limit of the policy still applies.

I took out a policy with gapinsurance123 on my BMW 320d Sport and after 2 years I replaced it with an X3 xDrive 30d M Sport and when I rang them, I was advised I could transfer it across. All they did was issue an amendment to the policy.

Hummm. Many brokers will tell you that you should never tell your basic car insurance company in the first instance that you have gap insurance until quite late in the proceedings, because the basic insurer tends to quote a lower figure to you if they know you have GAP.

But surely it doesn't matter what quote the basic insurance give me as i'll have the GAP insurance to make up the shortfall to the value I paid for the car?

Unless they have some way of wiggling their way out of it which i'm not aware of?

I have been using gapinsurance123 https://gapinsurance123.co.uk/ for the last 7 years. They are also owned by Aequitas Automotive Limited.
Yep, I had the S3 with GAP123 and if you use their website it takes you to the one I posted for the quote :)
Forgot to say, there are policies that are transferable if you replace your car after a short period of time within the GAP insurance time period. Naturally the upper value limit of the policy still applies.

I took out a policy with gapinsurance123 on my BMW 320d Sport and after 2 years I replaced it with an X3 xDrive 30d M Sport and when I rang them, I was advised I could transfer it across. All they did was issue an amendment to the policy.
Yep again :) When I changed the S3 for the A5 I had 18 months cover left, so they simple moved it over to the A5 for the first 6 months, then refunded the 12 months left and put a new 3 year policy on the A5....For those that don't know! They had to do it like this as to cover the A5 for the full 3 years I'm having it, it has to be done within 180 days of buying the car. So when this car goes back I'll still have 6 months GAP cover to move over to the next car :)

But surely it doesn't matter what quote the basic insurance give me as i'll have the GAP insurance to make up the shortfall to the value I paid for the car?

Unless they have some way of wiggling their way out of it which i'm not aware of?
Sorry I was not clear in what I meant. I was saying in the event of your car being written off, you do not tell your basic insurance company that you have GAP, otherwise they might offer a lower write off value for the car and then expect GAP to make up the bigger difference.
This is not my statement, it came from the GAP insurance company when I took out the policy. I was just quoting them.

Reactions: Jcbmally
I'm on my 3rd GAP policy with GAPinsurance123
https://gapinsurance123.co.uk/

No probs with them

I would have gone with ALA but there are too many discount codes about which makes it all their pricing a bit confusing IMHO

Sorry I was not clear in what I meant. I was saying in the event of your car being written off, you do not tell your basic insurance company that you have GAP, otherwise they might offer a lower write off value for the car and then expect GAP to make up the bigger difference.
This is not my statement, it came from the GAP insurance company when I took out the policy. I was just quoting them.
And if the worst were to happen, never accept the offer from your normal insurance before telling the GAP insurance what the offer is!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I used gapinsurance.co.uk which is the Frank Pickles one but know ALA is also a popular insurance product used from what I’ve read

Have used Frank Pickles for a few years now and have policies for two cars FL S3 & FL RS3.
So far no issues, they also offer a new unlimited policy, which was only another £7 for each car on a 3yr policy.

Well worth it, just hope I never have to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m also with ALA for my Q5......and I went for back to invoice cover, over 4 years.

Only issue with ‘back to invoice’ is should you need to make a claim at 3 or 4yrs then you will be out of pocket.
As the cost of your new like for like replacement will have increased significantly and you will then have to ‘top-up’ with your own money to get a like for like replacement.

Same with me, transferred remainder of the policy to my new car and had to pay a small top-up to get the new car policy back to 3yr policy.

Only issue with ‘back to invoice’ is should you need to make a claim at 3 or 4yrs then you will be out of pocket.
As the cost of your new like for like replacement will have increased significantly and you will then have to ‘top-up’ with your own money to get a like for like replacement.

Whoops, I’ve just checked my GAP policy, and I’ve actually got the Vehicle Replacement cover, not the ‘back to invoice’, so I wouldn’t be affected by any price increases. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Hi.
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP product we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.
Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
Regards,
Dan.

Well looks like I will be finding out how admiral are sooner than I’d have wanted to...

My S3 was stolen off my drive this morning at 4am. ******** broke the lock off my back door and got the keys from the house.

Only had it 3 months as well, I’m gutted!

Only saving grace is I took out my gap insurance policy on Tuesday, so hopefully the full value of the car is covered.

My S3 was stolen off my drive this morning at 4am. ********
What utter scum these people are!! :rage::rage::rage:
Bad enough that this happens at any time.....but even worse just before Christmas which is meant to be a happy time, then you have to deal with this ****!!
Was it return to invoice GAP you had?
Please let us know how it all works out.

What utter scum these people are!! :rage::rage::rage:
Bad enough that this happens at any time.....but even worse just before Christmas which is meant to be a happy time, then you have to deal with this ****!!
Was it return to invoice GAP you had?
Please let us know how it all works out.

I know mate, it’s been happening a lot recently around the local area so it was always something I was worried about, still awful when it happens though!

When I took out the gap insurance I was told I would be paid out the full value I paid for the car as long as it was still under 5 years old and under 50k miles which it was.

Reported it to the insurance today to get the ball rolling and they are ringing me back tomorrow morning to sort everything.

Had forensics round but unfortunately no prints were recovered, only glove marks on the door. They did leave the lock behind though which they smashed out so that’s been taken off for analysis but not really sure what they will find on that.

Had to have all the locks changed on the house as they got the house keys too. Thankfully nothing was taken in the house so they knew exactly what they were after.

I didn’t even get a chance to try out launch control! Kept waiting for the perfect empty space :(

Well looks like I will be finding out how admiral are sooner than I’d have wanted to...

My S3 was stolen off my drive this morning at 4am. ******** broke the lock off my back door and got the keys from the house.

Only had it 3 months as well, I’m gutted!

Only saving grace is I took out my gap insurance policy on Tuesday, so hopefully the full value of the car is covered.

So sorry to hear that. That's grim. I HATE reading stuff like this.

Utter, utter scum of the earth. Cretinous, pondlife ball-sacks.

It doesn't help your situation, but I hope that the scum, lowlife disgusting mouth-breathers crash it @130mph into a brick wall and then skid off into a lake of acid. And I hope there's 5 of them in it when they do. w**kers.

Thank god you or your family were unaware/unhurt, and I hope you get a full and speedy insurance payout.

So sorry to hear that. That's grim. I HATE reading stuff like this.

Utter, utter scum of the earth. Cretinous, pondlife ball-sacks.

It doesn't help your situation, but I hope that the scum, lowlife disgusting mouth-breathers crash it @130mph into a brick wall and then skid off into a lake of acid. And I hope there's 5 of them in it when they do. w**kers.

Thank god you or your family were unaware/unhurt, and I hope you get a full and speedy insurance payout.

Agree with everything you said!

I was on my own the night it happened and slept through the whole thing. Kind of glad I didn't wake up cus I'm not sure what I would have done had I seen them. Even if I disturbed them I probably would have ended up with a knife held to my throat.

Think it has finally sunk in whats happened today. I really am devastated! Only had the car 3 months and it was everything I ever wanted in a car really.

No idea what to look at getting next either when I finally get the insurance money. Don't want anything too high risk for obvious reasons, but I don't think i'll be truly happy settling for something in a lower performance/luxury category than the S3 now that I've owned one.

Agree with everything you said!

I was on my own the night it happened and slept through the whole thing. Kind of glad I didn't wake up cus I'm not sure what I would have done had I seen them. Even if I disturbed them I probably would have ended up with a knife held to my throat.

Think it has finally sunk in whats happened today. I really am devastated! Only had the car 3 months and it was everything I ever wanted in a car really.

No idea what to look at getting next either when I finally get the insurance money. Don't want anything too high risk for obvious reasons, but I don't think i'll be truly happy settling for something in a lower performance/luxury category than the S3 now that I've owned one.

I haven't even got mine, yet (due March ish) but I'm already paranoid about these scum fu**ers coming into my home after reading many threads like yours over the last 10 months. I have 2 young kids, also.

Such a truly sad state of affairs especially when we are supposed to live in a civilised society with rules and boundaries.

I talked it over with my missus and we both agreed that we work too hard NOT to have what we want, although if the worst happens, I already know it will be replaced with a 10 year old Peugeot!

I know being on forums like this doesn't help with the paranoia, but also "forewarned is forearmed" (although, sadly, not in a lot of cases)

Only you can decide on what you do next, but I wish you all the best. Glad you didn't come face to face with these toe-rags.