Replacing the top mounts

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Guys, not sure if you remember or not, but a while ago i posted up saying i was getting a creaking noise when going over bumps from the front of the car, initially it was diagnosed at the ARB Bushes, which i have since changed, but the noise is still there.

I remember Sandip on the forum saying that he had changed his top mounts and this got rid of the noise on his, so im going to give this a go, but just wanted to know what was involved.

**Is it a big job?

**Do i need to take the whole suspension leg out, or can it be done from the engine bay?

**How long will it take to do?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nilz :)

Its a straightforward job just a little time consuming.

You need to remove the whole shock from the car and remove the spring, replace the topmount and topmount bearing, put back together and refit.

I'd say your looking at an hour a side tops if you do it at at a relaxed pace.

There are a quite few tools involved including : Spring compressors, hub splitter (optional), 7mm long allen key (brake caliper one from halfords works well) and deep 21mm socket and 18mm socket.

Easy job if your ok with a spanner.

You know once it has been done, does the car need the tracking done, as I am removing the suspension leg, or is that only if the car is being lowered??

Okie dokes, and soz for all the questions, whats this I hear about 4 wheel alignment, will i have to get all four wheels done, or just the front two??

Yer i did mine when I put the new kit on.... was definately worth doing and the cost of the rubber mount and bearings are sod all even from a dealer. Might be worth gettin a garage to do it though forthe amount of work. Its alot easier when u have a ramp and for £20 for an hours work its worth it.

Okie dokes, might go down that route then....

Daz where you been hiding??

Aint seen you on here for ages

Btw, have you considered that it may be the bushes in the wishbones?

I had squeaking noises going over bumps, and I too was told it was the arb bushes. However, on further inspection, it turned out that I had worn wishbone bushes.

Dealer replaced both sides for £380. Squeaking gone.