Replacing steering wheel buttons

davidbir

Reaction score
Hi all,

One of my big annoyances of my A4 Sport 8W 1.4TFSI (MY2017) was the lack of steering wheel buttons. I had an A3 8V before which had all the buttons I needed as standard!

I've managed to get hold of: 4M0 951 523 which will replace my existing button set.

Does anyone have the workshop guide on how to replace the buttons?

I'm assuming, steering wheel cowling off, airbag popped out and moved to one side, old buttons popped out and new ones put in, put back together, code via OBDEleven if necessary.

Has anyone successfully completed this job already? Any pointers you can give me would be very much appreciated.

I have attached some pictures of someone else who has done it Continental Klasse Pte Ltd based in Singapore. I have contacted them, but they have not got back to me.

Thanks,

David

Attachments

• 23621611_1623903057632139_7896936190611241225_n.jpg
    23621611_1623903057632139_7896936190611241225_n.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4,305
  • 23559747_1623903070965471_4915166282945741760_n.jpg
    23559747_1623903070965471_4915166282945741760_n.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,422
  • 23621296_1623903060965472_5284020395988909067_n.jpg
    23621296_1623903060965472_5284020395988909067_n.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,472
All I know is that steering wheels are interchangable and plug and play. But whether the mmi needs to be progammed for the switches I don't know...

I'm really interested to see how you get on with this.

The wife wanted the flat bottom wheel on her S-line, I baulked at the £300 cost for what I thought was the same wheel with a flat bottom so I didn't spec it. I now know that the S-line standard wheel has only a basic set of buttons, whereas the flat-bottom one has extra controls.

The biggest issue is the missing next/previous buttons. I've found there's no way to skip to the next track on Bluetooth media streaming without touching the phone and similarly in Spotify on Android Auto, you need to go back into the app and use the big dial. This is really inconvenient if you're using Wave or Google Maps to navigate.

Please let us know how it goes.

Pete

Im very sure the car needs to be coded so that the extra buttons/functions are fully recognised by the MMI system.. im not 100% sure so dont count my word on it..

I'm really interested to see how you get on with this.

The wife wanted the flat bottom wheel on her S-line, I baulked at the £300 cost for what I thought was the same wheel with a flat bottom so I didn't spec it. I now know that the S-line standard wheel has only a basic set of buttons, whereas the flat-bottom one has extra controls.

The biggest issue is the missing next/previous buttons. I've found there's no way to skip to the next track on Bluetooth media streaming without touching the phone and similarly in Spotify on Android Auto, you need to go back into the app and use the big dial. This is really inconvenient if you're using Wave or Google Maps to navigate.

Please let us know how it goes.

Pete

You can click the volume control knob on the centre console left and right to skip tracks.. hold to seek forwards and back

Reactions: tickedon
For info Continental Klasse Pte Ltd got back to me.

According to them the buttons are easy to fit and no coding required!

I could not obtain information from them on what needs to be removed to replace the buttons.

Can anyone assist with a workshop manual to remove the airbag and buttons on the A4 B9?

Thanks

Thanks Berrrtie for the tip on the skipping with the volume control button, I hadn't realised it was a joystick.

davidblr, that's great news that the buttons are a direct swap with no coding. I think I'll pick up a set just in case. The workshop manual is unlikely to do down to that level of repair detail, if they're faulty the dealers would replace the whole wheel transferring the old airbag.

Are the S-line buttons the same part number??

Pete

I've been interested in a very similar upgrade for my 2015 SQ5. I've been using the volume knob in the center console to skip fwd/bkwd but I would love to have the ability to do so from the steering wheel.

Davidblr, any update on your plans to make this happen for your A4? I once saw a youtube video of a removal of the controls and it appeared to be fairly easy. Once you have the airbag out, each of the individual button clusters should slide out. The cluster on the left should slide out to the right and vice-versa for the right side. They are connected to each other and then connected in the center to a connector in the middle

how did u get the airbag out?

i tried and tried but once i think i managed to unlock both the springs, the airbags top part or bottom part seems stuck to the steering wheel...

-.-

managed to remove the airbag.... but unfortunately i brought the wrong parts... LOL
reordering the correct parts...

but the button works...

managed to remove the airbag.... but unfortunately i brought the wrong parts... LOL
reordering the correct parts...

but the button works...

did the buttons need any coding?

which buttons did you buy?

did the buttons need any coding?

which buttons did you buy?

I brought this button (image attached).
No need coding for my steering wheel and the button works. Only the circled button dont work as i do not have navigation.

But unfortunately the buttons wont fit my steering due to the wrong part number.

So I re-ordered the correct parts and will update in 2-3 weeks time once I received it.

Attachments

• buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,435
Strange they look the right size.

Please do update as I’ve been looking for a flat bottom wheel to change buttons as well.

It looks the right size but actually they are not.

Here is the comparison for a better understanding.

Left is my original, the right side is what i purchased.

As you can see, the shape and size is totally out of whack. Not to mentioned the rear "legs" is of a different direction too.
I have high-lighted the difference in the "legs" of the button-kit.
Red is original (same as what thread-starter has brought) and Yellow is the one that I've wrongly ordered.

On a hindsight, I should have look closer at the thread-started picture before ordering. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can change the buttons on my steering wheel as removing the airbag is a bi-tc-h.

:frown new:

Attachments

• front-buttons.jpg
    front-buttons.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,196
  • rear-buttons.jpg
    rear-buttons.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,129
It looks the right size but actually they are not.

Here is the comparison for a better understanding.

Left is my original, the right side is what i purchased.

As you can see, the shape and size is totally out of whack. Not to mentioned the rear "legs" is of a different direction too.
I have high-lighted the difference in the "legs" of the button-kit.
Red is original (same as what thread-starter has brought) and Yellow is the one that I've wrongly ordered.

On a hindsight, I should have look closer at the thread-started picture before ordering. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks before I can change the buttons on my steering wheel as removing the airbag is a bi-tc-h.

:frown new:

ah I’m guessing you have the squarer airbag like pictured earlier? I have the round airbag so I think they’d fit mine.

yes... my airbag is the squarish-rectangular type.. so in my haste to purchase, i did not take a closer look at the size..

anyway the button that i purchased, should fit on the round airbag type...

yes... my airbag is the squarish-rectangular type.. so in my haste to purchase, i did not take a closer look at the size..

anyway the button that i purchased, should fit on the round airbag type...
Did you disconnect the battery when you removed the airbag? If so did you have any warning lights come on after re connecting?

Did you disconnect the battery when you removed the airbag? If so did you have any warning lights come on after re connecting?

yes... i disconnected the battery in my rear trunk floor first...
and no warning light after i reconnect.

there will not be any warning lights if u reconnect everything before u start your car.
as long as you followed this procedure, u will be fine.
- disconnect the (- ve/black) connector from the battery
- remove airbag
- replace airbag and check all connectors
- connect the (- ve/black) connector back to the battery
- start your car

yes... i disconnected the battery in my rear trunk floor first...
and no warning light after i reconnect.

there will not be any warning lights if u reconnect everything before u start your car.
as long as you followed this procedure, u will be fine.
- disconnect the (- ve/black) connector from the battery
- remove airbag
- replace airbag and check all connectors
- connect the (- ve/black) connector back to the battery
- start your car
Does the electronic steering lock come off after you disconnect the battery?

y

yes it does.
i am able to turn the steering left and right....
1 last question then I will attempt to fit my RS paddles, In the instructions it says disconnect the battery with the ignition on and reconnect with the ignition on. I can understand the disconnect but how Turn the ignition on before you reconnect ?

u can actually ignore that part... most likely its a typo or error in the instructions...

I should have a used set for the round steering wheel soon, replacing mines with a set out of a Bentley, if anyone wants a set let me know

I brought this button (image attached).
No need coding for my steering wheel and the button works. Only the circled button dont work as i do not have navigation.

But unfortunately the buttons wont fit my steering due to the wrong part number.

So I re-ordered the correct parts and will update in 2-3 weeks time once I received it.

Hey....buttons work without coding? I hate that my 2014 RS4 steering wheel does not have the "next & before" buttons for music to shift between songs. Please see pics, first is my steering wheel, second pic is the buttons im looking to have.

Attachments

• 20200602_002638.jpg
    20200602_002638.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 965
  • 20200602_002923.jpg
    20200602_002923.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 893
Hey....buttons work without coding? I hate that my 2014 RS4 steering wheel does not have the "next & before" buttons for music to shift between songs. Please see pics, first is my steering wheel, second pic is the buttons im looking to have.

i am not sure about the 2014 RS4... so i cant comment much on that...

but for the a4 8w, yes those button works fine without coding as i have personally tested it out myself...

I see....will search more or hopefully get feedback here, then might take a chance and try new buttons :)

Thanks

Ok so I am back...
Finally got my new and correct set of steering wheel button kit...

So here is how it look like...

Before:
IMG 20200617 201430

After:
IMG 20200617 222023

All button works except for the NAV (because I do not have navigation) & the (*) button (I have yet to code it via VCDS).
I did not do any coding for the buttons to work.

Finally a better looking steering wheel.

Reactions: tickedon and gtunney
Hi! I’m looking to do the same upgrade to my car. Can you share the part number for the correct buttons? We have the same steering wheel.

Did they unlock any new functionality in the center display?

this is the part number...
4M0 951 523

yes, you have more sub-menu to browse on the center display...

Thanks a bunch, I placed the order for new buttons!

Would it be a bother to see what new sub-menus are available?

Sw
Hi.
I did this replace of steering wheel buttons in my A4 B9 yesterday and it all works well. I was a little dissapointed that the submenu for the media did not give any possibility to sort by folder/artist/... as the MMI display submenu can.

My question is if some of you managed to code the * button functionality (and possibly the Nav button)?
I have VCDS (Vag-Com) and have been into all modules but canot find where to change what steering wheel is in the car. In previous Audis it was module 16 and just choose what combination is mounted in the car. But I cannot find it as easy in the B9.
Anyone figured this out?

I can take some pictures of the submenus that were available later today.

no u will not be able to sort by artist/folder via the steering buttion...

and yes i managed to code the (*) button functionality...
the NAV button cannot be coded as far as i know.....

Can you guide me to how to code the * button?
I dont have Navi in my car (for the moment) so that can be left as it is.

Thanks a bunch, I placed the order for new buttons!

Would it be a bother to see what new sub-menus are available?

Here are som pictures of the submenus. They are of course in swedish in my car since I live in Sweden...

For the driving computer there are a reset option for the mileage, short and long term showings.
For the media there are options th choose what to listen on with the left submenu button, and extended title info with the right button.
And for the phone you can choose different listings.

Upload 2020 7 31 8 0 48 Upload 2020 7 31 8 3 56 Upload 2020 7 31 8 4 46 Upload 2020 7 31 8 6 15

Can you guide me to how to code the * button?
I dont have Navi in my car (for the moment) so that can be left as it is.

Instruments (17) - Byte 10 bit 7 (original setting is untick, u need to TICK)

save and done....

I tried that without result. You didnt do anything else?
Did you get the menu to choose funtion on the * button after setting bit 7?
Upload 2020 7 31 12 6 21