Replacing side light bulb on light switch

Ginger Prince

Reaction score
Hello all,

On the way to work this morning I’ve noticed on the light switch that the side light isn’t illuminated meaning the bulb must have gone behind dash/console.

Has anyone ever replaced one of these, if so, how to you remove the console for the light switch and is it a pig of a job? It will do my head in so I’m going to have a go once I know what I’m doing....

Thanks

On my 2006 MY the switch comes out by just turning the knob anti-clockwise which unlocks it and then it just pulls out.

Not sure you can replace just the bulb (probably LED). A new switch is about £70 from Audi but they often come up on ebay.

I'm pretty sure on my MY2009 you turn the dial to 12 oclock, push in and turn to the right and then pull out.

On my 2006 MY the switch comes out by just turning the knob anti-clockwise which unlocks it and then it just pulls out.

Not sure you can replace just the bulb (probably LED). A new switch is about £70 from Audi but they often come up on ebay.

Thanks pal. I've got a 57 plate (2008) so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a switch on eBay & hope mine "just pulls out...."

Mike

I'm pretty sure on my MY2009 you turn the dial to 12 oclock, push in and turn to the right and then pull out.

Sincere apologies - had a 'senior' moment !

You are absolutely correct - push in and turn clockwise and pull switch out

I've just sent you a PM regarding a replacement Light Switch...

Iv had my light switch in pieces today so I can post up a pic of the light you would need to replace?

It's a doddle to replace the smd if your any good with a soldering iron.

Rob - Ive send you a PM back cheers

Quinni - I don't have a soldering iron but I appreciate your response and someone else may benefit from your pics and advice if you put them up?

Il pop them up tomorrow when i get hold of my camera.

Let me know if you dont get it sorted, i think iv got an old light switch lying about somewhere from a 2007 car

Cheers Quinnii, if you've got one (I've got a 2008 S3) then i may need it please....

Unusual fault as never known that to happen, so when you actually put switch to sidelights it doesnt light up?

Do you have coming home button & auto lights?

Last edited:
I mean when the lights are on and the dash lights up the lights behind the icon for sidelights isn't illuminated, main beam is but sidelights not.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346651634782427

Stupid question, but have you actually checked visually to see if the sidelights are lighting up ok?

Whats an smd & yeah, the exterior lights aren't an issue, its the bulb behind the switch which isn't illuminating as per the pic.

Firstly some info on SMD's:

What is SMD (Surface Mounted Diode) ?,5050, 3528, 0603, 1210

Here's some pics for you:

In this pic you can see the location of the SMD's compared to the light switch housing:

DSC01473 small

In this pic iv highlighted the four solder points for the SMD, there only small but would only take a minute to do. SMD's are penny's compared to a new light switch unit:

DSC01471 small

I can spec an SMD replacement if you want and link it for you.

This might help anybody who's thinking of an SMD upgrade for a different colour.

Hope it helps

He needs ascertain its the light source at fault tbh before changing for new & also are the sidelights actually working which I did ask further up with no reply, as someone could of messed with coding, whose to know on the forum, but of course it could be its not lit for that very reason, 1 to discount anyway.

Whats an smd & yeah, the exterior lights aren't an issue, its the bulb behind the switch which isn't illuminating as per the pic.

He needs ascertain its the light source at fault tbh before changing for new & also are the sidelights actually working which I did ask further up with no reply, as someone could of messed with coding, whose to know on the forum, but of course it could be its not lit for that very reason, 1 to discount anyway.

I agree, just from his post i assumed everything was working as per usual just the bulb wasn't lighting up.

Last edited:
I've managed to get a switch off 1 of the lads on here so hopefully it will be sorted shortly....

Iv just swapped some of the SMD's over from another unit just to make sure it's possible, incase anybody ever needs to do this. Il post some results when I get home and get it plugged in!

Correct, I did reply "exterior lights are working."

Yeah sorry missed that post, then has to be either wiring which doubtful atm or the led/pcb is faulty, I would stick some power across the led even from multimeter to see if it lights up.