Replacing Shocks DIY....Help!

bouncer--daz

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!
Reaction score
Im currently looking at upgrading my standard shocks on my A3. Ive previously lowered the car by just replacing the springs but as stated in numerous threads its leaves you with better handling but a more bouncy ride.
Anyways my question is how hard a job is it too replace them myself? What tools would I need, how long a job is it? etc etc. Basically looking to cut costs of paying a mechanic for doing something that I believe I could do myself.
Heres the shocks im thinking of using. http://www.performancecentre.co.uk/p/sv_pl.asp?VC=AD_A301&PTC=SUS05 Can anyone see any possible issues? On a budget I must add.
Ive done a search of previous threads but none seem to go into detail on DIY. Photos would be appreciated:icon_thumright:

its quite easy, i did mine my self, takes approx 2-4hours id say to do 4 corners. you'll need along with socket set, jack etc... spring compressors and a tool to separate the front hubs from the shocks (you can make this yourself)
You can pick up elsawin from ebay for about £10 this gives step by step instructions with pics from most of the audi vw range, its very helpfull and if your ok with tools it could save you some £

Thanks for that guide... thats the mutts nutts! Should save me alot of fitting costs and theres always a good amount of self satisfaction from doing work yourself :icon_thumright: anyone got some spring compressors they wana lend me? lol

The one HTC linked to is THE guide.

The only problem I had was removing stuck on top mounts,

I ended up using a compressor...

i had a similare problem getting the top mount undone. i used a thin socket that i put over the bolt and held this with a pair of grips and then put the allen key into the the hole. seemed to work well but it had to as my car was in pieces and i didnt have any other way of sorting it out.

Did my S3 a few weeks ago. Made the mistake of getting the shocker off with out undoing the top mount. Nightmare!! Its alot easier to crack it while its still on the car and the weight is on it. Then when you compress the spring it should pretty much just come off with your hand.

i used and windy gun for the top mounts this should turn faster than the shock

well when I get round to doing it in the next few weeks i will post the pics... thinking about just slapping the cost of the shocks on the credit card then worrying bout it later lol

Checked the bank balance... unexpected holiday pay... shocks and spring compressors are ordered.. picked up sum axle stand yesturday... will post the pics of the job near the end of the week

yep changing the shocks yourself can save alot of money. i did this only my nova years ago and had to get the wheels aligned and camber adjusted as i lowered it 60mm

Did you manage to get the shocks done?.. Run into any problems and what tools did you use for the "special bits"?
Thinking of having a go myself. :)

Cheers,
Anand

it's very easy to get done...no special tools needed except for the spring compressor.

For the strut top mount there's another easy and cheap solution, get a socket for removing spark plugs of the right size and then get a long allen key to hold the damper still. you can turn the socket using a spanner that's the right size - job done.

Think for both the plug socket and long allen key it was less than £10 from the local motor factors place!