Replacing rear shocks on 07 a3 sportback

Alan8p2.0tdi

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Decided to replace the rear shocks myself. There's a 21mm nut securing the eye of the shock in place but, the spring is so tight to the nut you cannot get a torque wrench into the socket. Has anyone replaced these and any tips? - simple job if i can shift this nut and would rather use labour cost towards new goodyears as the inner portion of rear tyres are worn away. Also I had thought of using spare jack to apply pressure to a ring spanner as a way of applying torque but, the shock and spring will compress.
Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Photo may help bud. Do you mean a socket set rather than a torque wrench? You may need a long extension bar if it's that tight. I had to remove the driveshafts on a other car that were torqued to 450Nm at the factory, so I borrowed a suitable tool (my longest extension bar 400mm is on the right for scale) ...
Tool

Changed them number of times, can't visualise your issue as didn't face any, pic please so can understand why you're facing such a conundrum.

If a spring has been replaced before like on my car, the mechanics not turned the spring into the correct position meaning you cant get a socket inbetween the spring and the bottom shock bolt, youll have to get a spanner bud and some big muscles...i wouldnt recommend it as its nit safe but i put a spanner on it and then used the jack on the spanner to loosen it...did the job

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alan8p2.0tdi
It wont lift the car itll just undo the bolt...depending on how tight it is

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alan8p2.0tdi
Hi guys,
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately rain has stopped play but I'll get a pic up once it dries up and i can get it jacked up. I have a feeling Chris Spijker may be onto something as the spring is too close - you can get the socket on the nut but can't get a drive into the socket as the spring is in the way.

Changed them number of times, can't visualise your issue as didn't face any, pic please so can understand why you're facing such a conundrum.
hi, thanks for replying. That’s the image below, spring too tight to the nut

Attachments

• E307CDDE-14E1-4EEA-A21B-55602EAB0D8D.jpeg
    E307CDDE-14E1-4EEA-A21B-55602EAB0D8D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
if its the correct spring i would be wondering why there wasn't enough space for the wrench to attach to the socket , as i am sure when it left the factory they must have had to tighten it up .

Oh ok yeah had that myself, I unbolted the lower arm other end to release the spring or I used a spanner & a breaker bar, tube, namely the tube from my trolley jack to break the nut undone, then ratchet spanner until finger spins or grips, you also could use spring compressors to remove without lower arm unbolting.

It can be done, just takes little longer.

Thanks for the responses guys. Managed to get a ring spanner and use the jack on it - had to stand on the hub mind you to stop the shock compressing so the neighbours must have had a laugh. She’s off though.....victory

Attachments

• DC14F28D-49F4-41AF-9800-FD3DF1CEC63F.jpeg
    DC14F28D-49F4-41AF-9800-FD3DF1CEC63F.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: aqibi2000