Replacing Gaskets

Ash92

Reaction score
Evening all,

Cars in at the garage at the moment getting the cam chain and tensioners done and they have come across an oil leak coming from the oil cooler and they said the gasket needs replacing.
Now to save a bit of coin I'm looking at replacing this myself. Has anyone done this before is it a hard job? Any tips of advice? Also if I replace the gasket does this mean it will drain the oil therefore having to replace it? I'm hoping it's the seal around the oil filter housing as it looks an easier job.
Thanks in advance
Ash

Easy job, access is a little tight from memory, I think I used a crows foot spanner on a ratchet with extension bar. I'm sure everyone will have there own method though.

The rubber seals on the top and bottom of the cooler are only a few pounds, you shouldn't need to drain the oil but will loose whatever is in the filter housing, maybe half a litre max?

I assume it's an external leak and they don't mean it's leaking internally into the coolant, which is very common.

Ok great definitely try it my self then and it's externally I noticed it first when it was on the drive way. Also can I do the job underneath the bonnet or is it under the car job

You will need be under the car really as you will have to catch the oil that comes out when you remove the large bolt that goes into the oil filter housing.