Replacing front / rear BOSE speakers in new A3

cheechy

Reaction score
Any suggestions for possible speaker upgrades to the Bose system in the new A3?

I'm aware the impedance is different so was wondering how limited my choice would be?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm exploring options. I've heard a lot of neg feedback on here about the Bose system and pick the car up next week. I'm fundamentally lazy for 1 and 2 thought that the Bose addon would help residuals when I come to trade-in.

Thanks for the response. I'd not seen a this particular question asked before on this forum and wanted to know if options were available.

If I'm not particularly happy with the sound expect a post in a couple of weeks time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Incidentally - is there an 'AndyMac' Sub available for the A3 8P?

he should make them and sell them he could have a nice little earner going on, i might be interested in paying him to build one for me if he is interested?

If anyone wants to loan me their new A3 (8P) for some experiments then I'd be delighted.

I only asked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unfortunately I live North of the border /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Any volunteers who have a spare 8P A3 in the garage then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Why not just fit 4 ohm speakers in the place of the 2 ohm bose speakers ? the 4 ohm speakers will sound much better and the bose amp will have an easier time driving the 4 ohm speakers also less chance of the bose amp clipping and ruining them and probably more volume to boot. i used to run 4 ohm tweeters and 8 ohm midbass speakers together from the same amp when i was doing point of reference sound challenge competition and it gave a very good result.
The rear speakers on the bose system in my S3 are actually 4 ohms impedence and the fronts are 1.8 ohms impedence and i will be upgrading them soon along with the alpine competition head unit etc laying around the place gathering dust.
Cheers "Bingo"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Never really thought about doing that and I'm surprised you got such good results from it.

I'll definately keep it in mind. Cheers for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I don't see how you can get more volume by using speakers with twice the impedance of the originals, am I missing something?
You'll actually get about half to two thirds of the volume from a system that is underpowered to start with.

Certainly lower impedence speakers are harder to drive drawing more current(ohms law and all that) so generating more heat. Which is why a lot of amps have 2-4 ohm switches.
I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in volume between the two.
A bit of maths/physics
sound is measured in decibels which is a logarithmic scale.
Assuming you have two amplifiers with outputs
p1=50
p2=100

10log(p2/p1)db where log is to base 10
so the difference in db is

10log(100/50)db
=10log2=3db

even if the amp p2 had 10 times the power it would only register a 10db rise

You can easily gain or lose similar quantities by selecting a more or less efficient speaker irrispective of impedance.

i havent seen a single amp with a 2/4 ohm switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i could definitely tell the difference in my old install when i showed my amp a different ohmage!

They tend to just have a low impedance switch. Most Alpines have it, and it does make a huge difference.

Decibel measurement is somewhat misleading as it isn't a uniform scale. +/- 10db is actually quite a lot. As perceived by the human ear it would represent more than 3 times the loudness.

each 3db jump (as a general rule) is equivalent to doubling the output volume

im still having trouble seeing why you believe there is no gain in showing an amp a lower ohmage?

the only amps that will not put out more power at a lower ohmage are those with regulated power supplies, (e.g. the JL 500/1 & 1500/1 etc) these will put out their rated output power irrespective of ohmage shown or input voltage

Look at the input sensitivity of your speakers they could be anywhere from say 86 to 93db for 1 watt input at 1 metre distance, So you could gain upto 7db just by choosing a different speaker irrespective of impedance. Also notice that you only have to input 1 watt to get 93db then all the rest of your power is required to get from just below 100db to just above it.

If you are standing 1m or so from a tube train you would not be able to talk over it