Replacing CR engine with a PD engine (ideas)

Mark Hoyle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an 11 plate Audi A3 (2.0 CR engine).

Engine has pretty much had it - piles out grey/blue smoke and is ropey. Was thinking about doing an engine swap but the donor CR engines are still really high value, just wondered if anyone has retrofitted an older PD engine to one of these 2011 facelift cars? How much of a pain was this?

What the mileage ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nah turbo is fine, no lift on it etc.

Could be injectors, but I'm thinking it's the piston rings as diesel is getting into the oil too :(

I'd be inclined to try and find the extra for the CR engine as its a more reliable and efficient unit.

Not sure if it was on the A3 PD 2.0 tdi engines, but in the B7 A4 they had those damn oil balance shafts which would wear and stave your turbo of oil. I replaced them pre-emptively which cost around £700 but was cheaper than a 2k repair bill. The balance shafts that were removed were showing signs of wear so I'm glad I did

PD engines are very strong reliable engines, but they are at the age where they aren't getting serviced by main dealers and that usually means they don't get proper PD oil, they usually get whatever the garage uses on other vehicles.
This then induces wear and they become troublesome. I can testify to this as my GF's son recently bought a Passat PD115 from a neighbour. He confessed to putting in any oil he could find at service intervals and when diagnosing a head gasket issue the camshaft was found to be badly scored and in need of replacement.
It's a gamble getting a PD replacement, but potentially it could save you money if you find a looked after one.

Reactions: Mark Hoyle
Thanks, yes it's a total gamble.

My big worry is would the PD engine work in the CR engines place (i.e. would it wire up ok to the ignition barel / ECU etc.)

No idea, I'd be surprised if it was as simple as that an the exhaust lined up properly etc.