Replacing battery in key fob?

I'd like to know too.

I think they recommend you take it to the dealers, as there have been cases where people have been unable to use them once they changed the battery themselves.

I have however changed the battery in a Veedub fob once, and had no probs at all (maybe I was lucky), but the bloke in Debenhams (where I bought the battery) did refuse to change it for me because of the above issue.

Volkswagen Key Disassembly

I've changed many and have never had a problem with them not working.

In the event that it does need re synced then unlock the car manually (key in the door) then put it in the ignition. I'm sure there is a section in the manual that tells you how to do this.

Last edited:
I know on some key fobs you only get a few seconds in which to change the battery or it'll need re-syncing. This is the reason some places won't do it for you, in case they take too long and you can't use your car. I worked at a car accessory place when I was younger and we were told we weren't allowed to change them for this reason.
I'm not sure if this is the same with the Audi/VW key fobs. When I changed my VW one, I just made sure the battery was unpackaged and I did it quickly. It worked fine that time.

Follow the guide above to take the battery out then order the same one of ebay, put it in the key when you get it, then:

A. Using the Ignition Place key in ignition Turn key to Accessory Position- Don't start the car Hold the unlock button on the key fob for a few seconds Finish: This will successfully reprogram your key fob
B. Using the Drivers Door Lock Cylinder Insert key in drivers door lock cylinder Turn key to the unlock position Hold unlock button on the key fob for a few seconds Finish: This will successfully reprogram your key fob

No need to rush it will re-sync when you do the above procedure, and make sure you put the battery in the right way round, i didn't first time round.

I had my key apart in pieces when i was replacing the buttons as they were totally worn out. must of had the battery out for at least 15 minutes with no issues. to get the cover off is **** easy... use a flat head screw driver and pry up the back cover in 2 places... one where the keyring is attached and the other is behind the flip up key. you can see a little notch on the side of the rear cover once the key is flipped up.

My above quote is assuming you have the same key as mine:

Audi_remote_flip_key.jpg

It gives you allot longer than seconds, dont worry, just remove the cover as said with a screwdriver to pop of, swap battery over, test remote, job done.

bringing up an old thread here, but ive just changed my batterys in my key fobs today as the signal was really bad on both of them. the battery i took out of each was 1 x CR2032. i put it all back together and it was just as bad.
i was woundering is the fob supposed to have 2 of the flatter batteries that are the same size as the CR 2032 to make it 6v?
my car is a 2004 8p 2.0tdi with as far as i know original key fobs.
any information would be greatly apreciated.
cheers jonny

Has the signal always been bad or just now?

i bought the car 2 months ago and its been just as bad since i bought it. only got round to looking at it this week. it works from around 5 meters intermitently.

So it does work 100% just not past 5 metres.

yes it does work under 5 meters as long as you are in the right position around the car. it is just the bad signal thats stopping it from working properly
much thanks

Reactions: Mospin
They're specifically designed to not work over long distances, but if you're sure they're faulty, you will need either a dealer or someone with vcds to recode some others & test, if others also act the same, then its one of several things, antenna's, rear screen or the convenience module.

I have some of those year keys I dont use anymore, but as advised you'd still need someone to code the remote functions.

I have this said key. Recently went to the dealers and they replaced batteries on both my key for around a fiver

yes i had a vw before and the key fob is the same isnt it? but that key fob worked 100% times better. plus its both key fobs that are faulty so thats what makes me belive theirs something not right.
does the key fob definatley only take one CR 2032 at 3v ?
ill see if my local audi vw garage has a vcds and where i can go from their.
if not where are you based?
thanks alot for the help