Replacing Audi S4 B8 Headlight

Craig Norquay

Reaction score
So, some of you may or not may not know, but I recently bought Razza1 's B8 S4.

Doesn't need anything really in the means of mechanical stuff, all the small niggly things I want to sort and change to put a personal twist on it, before going on with bigger plans.

First thing is the passenger headlight, which has a crack (Was pointed out and told about it before hand so doesn't bother me) i'm just looking to replace it, now, being new to audi's can I just buy another S4 Xenon headlight and fit it ?

Wont cause any issues? OR is it coded somehow?

Not coded, not sure if you would have to do an alignment for the beam height, possibly not. You can manually tweak the headlight if it's not quite right.
Look in the boot there is a tool for removal of the headlights, details how to remove them in the handbook. A 10 minute job to remove and replace a headlight. Unlike some cars where you need to remove the bumper or other bodywork.

Will just be a straight swap, make sure it's a bixenon one you get. They are self levelling.
Just note position of lugs/bolts of old one and put new one on with same positions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really do need to set this up with vcds properly, so goto an mot bay & with vcds set the lights to mot mode, then adjust them to the beam lense machine levels, then disable the mot mode, that is the correct way as manually adjusting can cause issues when auto levelling comes into play.

You really do need to set this up with vcds properly, so goto an mot bay & with vcds set the lights to mot mode, then adjust them to the beam lense machine levels, then disable the mot mode, that is the correct way as manually adjusting can cause issues when auto levelling comes into play.
Thanks for that,

Would that headlight be suitable though?

Can you not check the P/N on the one currently in the car, that would be the safest way to check for compatibility?

Also, beware - some headlights are xenon, others are adaptive xenon - i.e. the headlights move the beam of light as you turn the steering wheel. The PR code for this, I think, is 8Q5, so have a look for that code in your service book 1st page sticker.

Just 8q3 so this is just regular xenons I believe.

So above should be fine then. Gonna double check part number if it matches it's mine!!!!

Yeh, got it sorted mate, replacement arrived today and fitted :D

Reactions: razza1