Replacing an aerial grommet?

northern monkey

Reaction score
Can anyone help me by letting me know if they've changed the grommet to the roof aerial? Also how easy it is and whether I should even bother with such a small detail?

I had my aerial seal changed (I think that's what you mean by 'grommet'?) although I didn't do it myself (I had the 'bubbling' repaired on the roof by an Audi approived paintshop and had it changed at the same time as they would have had to disconnect it anyway).

I'm led to believe that it's a straight forward job, unclip rear lights in headlining to access the nut that secures the aerial to the roof. I managed to get hold of a 'repair kit' at £12 from Audi (contained the seal, a nut and a serrated washer) but have heard that Ebay can get you similar (not genuine) for a third of the cost for the seal only.

Replaced the whole arial a few weeks ago.

Simple job, pull off the trim at back of the roof, undo the nut and the arial is free (to change the seal if thats all your doing.)

Refit trim and jobs a good'un

Thanks guys! I had visions of having to take the whole headliner down. I through the rear interior light hole it is then.

I can't find the seal anywhere on the web. looks like a trip down to the stealers as mine is really perished. got to go get a Rocker cover gasket and TB Gasket might as well do it at the same time.

Its funny but i was going to make a post asking on how to change the rubber around the rear aerial, and now i know lol

don`t think the stealers do the seal on its own but there is a seller on fleabay that does and it does the job spot on. Thats where I got mine from. I also used a little bit of sealent when I fitted it just to make sure it sealed.

You don't have to take the aerial fully off, just loosen it as to allow the new grommit to sit correctly underneath the mast.

I bought a new mast and grommit from car-masts-uk from ebay, for less than half the stealers price, was a Fuba part. Very good fit, looks very OEM, and no loss of signal.

car masts uk on ebay too for mine. sealed perfectly. you have to cut the visible bit if the seal from the bit underneath.

if the underneath bit of rubber on the roof has perished, replace it with a bit of bicycle innertube if you have an old one, or a bit of repair patch if not.

i just bought a whole new areial assembley, the base which origianlly contained the ampliefier is now inside the car a triangular rubber cap now sits over base that pokes through the roof. Sorted look nice & glossy to.

how did you all get around the fact that audi put a stupid connection on the areial inside the headlineing? not the same as in those ebay pics.
i really dont want to pay 63 quid that audi aberdeen want for a whole assembly!!
anyone know where to get converters?

Got a genuine Audi aerial (complete) for just over £40 from Stoke Audi one of the sponsors of ASN... there is a thread about it on their forum....

<tuffty/>

Yer i just contacted audi in amersham and watford and they both say its 48 quid for the whole assembley, dont realllllly want to pay that just for a bit of rubber nonsence

Has anybody tried fitting one of those 'shark fin' type ariels that they have on the BMW's.

Just a thought, not sure if it would look good or not!?

Gaz.

how did you all get around the fact that audi put a stupid connection on the areial inside the headlineing? not the same as in those ebay pics.
i really dont want to pay 63 quid that audi aberdeen want for a whole assembly!!
anyone know where to get converters?

You just remove the rear vanity light unit, simple !

Can anyone help me by letting me know if they've changed the grommet to the roof aerial? Also how easy it is and whether I should even bother with such a small detail?

It's very easy, as people above have explained. Should you bother with small details? Hell yeah, it's all about the details!

thought this would be a nightmare of a job to do.. looks as though it's fairly straightforward though!! (one of the little jobs I spotted when buying the car!).. should keep me out of trouble for a bit..

what are the common options for changing the bee sting aerial to something a little more sportier?.. (without sacrificing radio reception?)..

I have a civic type r aerial on mine, short & stubby with no loss of signal, looks pretty OEM.