Replacing an 8 speaker system with a 10 speaker Bose...

DrEvil

Reaction score
I'm wondering exactly how much of a pain this is to do in an Avant. I know many people say you could spend your money on better stuff, but if i could get hold of a Bose system for around a hundred quid I thought it still might be worth it to jeep the OEM styling??

As far as i can see getting the door speakers, microphone, sub and amp are easy to slot in directly where the old parts sat, the dash tweeter should have a position for it to sit in (haven't checked) so getting all the main parts in the right places seems the easy bit but then comes the actually connecting it up...

(a) So am I right in thinking that you need a different type of plug to go in the back of the radio (currently only have standard symphony but looking at a new Pioneer unit)?

(b) As far as I understand you need to run new wires from the back of the radio to amp, then back to the front speakers (as on the 8 speaker system the front speakers aren't connected to the amp). Is the best way to run this under the central part of the car? How much of the trim do you need to strip back to feed everything through - is this the bit that is the real pain?

(c) Do the rear speakers need any adjustment, and is the existing wiring running from the radio to the current amp ok?

(d) How does the tweeter connect - does this connect to the amp directly or the back of the head unit or need to be wired to the amp?

(e) Is the microphone a direct swap with the previous one or does this need rewiring?

(And then understand that you need to recode in VCDS as well.)

Thanks for the help!