Replacement Windscreen

helicopter_red

Reaction score
Hi I have had a stone chip my windscreen, it is now repaired, but catches my eye constantly as its inside the steering wheel line. The fitter did mention that it may be a problem.
I'm considering getting a new windscreen fitted but wondered if anybody has been satisfied with the replacement or wish they didn't bother??
Company i would have to go through is autoglass.
Cheers

I had my previous car (Volvo V40)'s windscreen replaced. It was cracked after one of those heavy wind days. I suspect a tree branch fell on it. My insurers go to was autoglass. The Volvo branded windscreen was replaced with some (I never heard off) Chinese brand. Funilly enough the replacement glass was quieter and the annoying whistling wind noise (@70-75mph only) on the original windscreen was gone. Back then I think the excess was £100, and chip repair was £10. These days I think it's £125 or £150. Not sure which. They will have to drive your car a little bit (and at different speeds) after they fit the new one, this is normal.

Reactions: helicopter_red
This must be the thinnest windscreen I've had on any car. So easy to crack!

One thing to watch out for, I had the screen replaced on my 8P some years ago (by autoglass). All went well (I thought). About a year later my rain / light sensor packed up. This is in the rear mirror housing that fixes to the glass and needs a good optical seal to the glass in order to detect rain properly (forward scatter technology) . The proper way to do it is to use light optically clear adhesive (LOCA) that sets under UV light, but the fitter in my case used a clear gasket plastered with silicone grease to make the optical seal.

No problem you'd think, until the grease melts in the baking heat of a summer's day and contaminates the sensors and electronics! An expensive replacement results. Even more so with the camera that is in the same area in modern cars!

So, when Autoglass are contacted, get assurance that LOCA will be used to refit sensors and not the silicone shortcut to failure!

We had a replacement windscreen on our old Qashqai. Honestly a horrible experience.

They messed the first one up, scratched the car removing the old screen. Black glue residue everywhere. Then it wasn’t sealed correctly, leaving the car constantly smelling damp.

I get that it could’ve been an isolated bad experience but even when it was done “properly”. It was never as good as new.

If you can live with the chip, I would .
Some pics of the poor job…

Attachments

• 29402C13-AF41-4465-B3A4-4ABA013843D6.jpeg
    29402C13-AF41-4465-B3A4-4ABA013843D6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
  • 8EE46289-2597-4ACA-B695-87A1F6535AFA.jpeg
    8EE46289-2597-4ACA-B695-87A1F6535AFA.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 78
  • EFFB13C3-E2FE-4BF2-A7DE-48C1AD4B3D9E.jpeg
    EFFB13C3-E2FE-4BF2-A7DE-48C1AD4B3D9E.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 104
  • AAE39E19-6E15-4423-8065-97A07CC2AACE.jpeg
    AAE39E19-6E15-4423-8065-97A07CC2AACE.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2D238E85-9271-45C9-A831-2D597E09DBAA.jpeg
    2D238E85-9271-45C9-A831-2D597E09DBAA.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 926552B4-C524-4C95-BB3C-E1A83F04530B.jpeg
    926552B4-C524-4C95-BB3C-E1A83F04530B.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 8F114B21-045E-44DB-A3D8-001432677168.jpeg
    8F114B21-045E-44DB-A3D8-001432677168.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 76
I had a similar situation on my 3 month old TFSIe a couple of months ago. My insurer insisted I use Auto Windscreens and I was not happy thinking I may get a non-OEM windscreen fitted on a nearly new car!
I spoke to the guy at my nearest Auto Windscreens and said I wanted genuine Audi glass. He said most insurers would authorise OEM glass on relatively new cars, but they would have to pre-authorise it.
Anyhow, OEM glass was authorised with no questions asked and I cannot fault Auto Windscreens - although I was sceptical, on picking up the car you couldn't tell anything had been touched - apart from the smell of the adhesive! They did the ADAS recalibration and emailed me the certificate.
No problems since and very pleased with the service.

We had a replacement windscreen on our old Qashqai. Honestly a horrible experience.

They messed the first one up, scratched the car removing the old screen. Black glue residue everywhere. Then it wasn’t sealed correctly, leaving the car constantly smelling damp.

I get that it could’ve been an isolated bad experience but even when it was done “properly”. It was never as good as new.

If you can live with the chip, I would .
Some pics of the poor job…
Wow thats a terrible job! was this done by Autoglass?

I had a similar situation on my 3 month old TFSIe a couple of months ago. My insurer insisted I use Auto Windscreens and I was not happy thinking I may get a non-OEM windscreen fitted on a nearly new car!
I spoke to the guy at my nearest Auto Windscreens and said I wanted genuine Audi glass. He said most insurers would authorise OEM glass on relatively new cars, but they would have to pre-authorise it.
Anyhow, OEM glass was authorised with no questions asked and I cannot fault Auto Windscreens - although I was sceptical, on picking up the car you couldn't tell anything had been touched - apart from the smell of the adhesive! They did the ADAS recalibration and emailed me the certificate.
No problems since and very pleased with the service.
That sounds promising

The other side of the coin now.
AG tech turns up to repair a chip, it goes global across the top of the windscreen. My insurer authorised an Audi oem, that was on 3 Feb, still waiting as Audi have none in stock in UK or D and there is no delivery date. Car is a F3 RSQ3.

Mike

The other side of the coin now.
AG tech turns up to repair a chip, it goes global across the top of the windscreen. My insurer authorised an Audi oem, that was on 3 Feb, still waiting as Audi have none in stock in UK or D and there is no delivery date. Car is a F3 RSQ3.

Mike
Oh that's incredibly annoying. Hopefully you get it sorted soon