Replacement tyres due!!

dragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered what kind of mileage you are getting out of your s3's tyres. Mine seem to have worn pretty evenly across all four at 24k miles. I'm guessing most of you are <20k miles at the moment.

That sounds good to me and seem to have lasted well. Sorry can't help with the question but had them Contis on the Focus RS and they lasted around 14k miles.

What u replacing them with? I've had good experiences with Michelin Pilot Supersports and they look nice too.

Which tyre are you going for? Michelins seem to be a winner at the moment.

I always had Michelin on my past cars. Great tire.:thumbs up:

Thats good mileage, i did all 4 in on my 170 TDI Quattro in less than 12k.

Im imagining the S3 ones wonk last as long !

Went for Goodyear Eagles for a change. Usually buy Michelins. I need to check the pressures though as it's been a bit skittish since changing, given they haven't bedded in yet. They look to give a bit more protection to the alloys which is good. And only 100 bucks a corner!

Thats good mileage, i did all 4 in on my 170 TDI Quattro in less than 12k.

Im imagining the S3 ones wonk last as long !

I've got the factory fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres on my 184TDI quattro and I still have 4mm left on them all after nearly 13k miles.

Yeah that's pretty good, you'll see 15k from them

The Conti are down to the wear bars on the front of my S3 after 8500 miles !!!!

Anyone tried the Hankook S1 Evo 2's? Ratings are very good, I was always a fan of Conti's but didn't like the tram lining when part worn. Giving these a go now on my A4 TFSI....

Changed mine a month or so back. Got about 15K with even wear across all four out of the set that came with the car, Conti Sport Contact 5's. Replaced with the same. Found the tyres reacted pretty well in most circumstances and I do like to hoon it on occasion which was never a problem for the tyres!

Struggle to beat blackcircles.com for price and tyre info IMO. Goodyear F1 asymmetric seem to rate very highly.

2.0Tdi after 19,000 miles still had 4mm on fronts and 5mm on rears, was very surprised particularly as the other halff continually shouts at me for braking late. My 8p 1.4TFSi needed fronts replacing after 12,000 and rears after 16,000

P.s 2.0TDi has conti sport contact 5's, 1.4tfsi also had continentals

Last edited:
Anyone tried the Hankook S1 Evo 2's? Ratings are very good, I was always a fan of Conti's but didn't like the tram lining when part worn. Giving these a go now on my A4 TFSI....

I had Hankook S1 Evo's on my last 2.0TDI-170 A3 and I thought they were very good. When my current 2.0TDI-184 quattro was delivered it came on Dunlop SportMaxx RT tyres and I have found them good as well. Both of them have given good performance and are quiet. I have just changed all four Dunlop's at 18,115 miles. I bought them through a local tyre deport at £87.00 each fitted.

Had my current car been delivered on either anything other than the Hankook's or the Dunlop RTs I would have changed the tyres straight away.

Dunlop sport maxx are my choice, best wet rated, sound rated and last better than a conti as well.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but who can be trusted mist when fitting tyres.......paranoid about wheels etc?

Struggle to beat blackcircles.com for price and tyre info IMO. Goodyear F1 asymmetric seem to rate very highly.
Can't rate black circles and eagle F1's highly enough. They corner on rails and stop so well.

I ordered an S3 last week, I'm currently driving an A4 Black Edition (2.0TDI 150PS), it eats front tyres... Continental ContiSport Contact 2 which last around 10,000 miles on the front wheels :( And since they're 19inch, they're a fortune to replace.

Glad to see the S3 seems to do better with tyres.

Autoexpress rated continental sport contact 5 best summer tyre last week was so far ahead of other tyres .So Should be good tyre

It's like how a new girlfriend performs and then compared to after several years of marriage :chuncky:

Reactions: DommyR and Don76
My A3 TDI quattro wore it's 4 wheels quite evenly, whereas my xdrive BMW is munching the fronts more quickly. Wondering if the S3 will be similar to my last A3. How evenly are others finding wear?

The original Dunlop SportMaxx RT tyres on my 2.0TDI-184 quattro wore at approximately the same rate all round, I replaced one rear tyre following a puncture when I was in Germany a few weeks ago and I have just replaced the other three at 18,115 miles. I've replaced them with the same Dunlop tyres.

In the Auto Express testing referred to in an earlier post they used 225/45x17 tyres and the Dunlop's came second to the Continental's but better in the Cabin Noise test which is important to me.

Is there not a concensus on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport for the s3 ??

Is there not a concensus on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport for the s3 ??

The PSS for outright dry grip
But Assy2's seem to be slightly better in the wet, also in terms of how the steering feels approaching the limit. And the Assy2's have better rim protectors than the PSS :)

The Conti are down to the wear bars on the front of my S3 after 8500 miles !!!!
Blimey, been rally driving?

My are on approx 4mm after 7K miles. In my experience continentals are ok in the dry but good in the wet, Michelin are far better though

I had Hankook S1 Evo's on my last 2.0TDI-170 A3 and I thought they were very good. When my current 2.0TDI-184 quattro was delivered it came on Dunlop SportMaxx RT tyres and I have found them good as well. Both of them have given good performance and are quiet. I have just changed all four Dunlop's at 18,115 miles. I bought them through a local tyre deport at £87.00 each fitted.

Had my current car been delivered on either anything other than the Hankook's or the Dunlop RTs I would have changed the tyres straight away.

Hankook make the best cheap tyres but they aren't a patch on better tyres from decent makes.

In general:
Michelin, Bridgestone,Goodyear are good
Continentals are ok but don't last long.
Dunlop and Pirelli tyres are terrible in my experience.
Hankook are ok.
Avoid Avon, Firestone.
As for part warn tyres, I would avoid at all costs

In the Auto Express test the Overall rating for each of the 225/45x17 tyres was:
1 - Continental, 2 - Dunlop, 3 - Michelin, 4 - Hankook, 5, - Pirelli, 6 - Goodyear, 7 - Yokohama, 8 - Falken, 9 - Bridgestone, 10 - GT Radial
No single type did well in ALL categories so it a matter choosing the one that has the good areas that you want.

An interesting comparison today. I have an A3 2.0TDI-150 S-Line Saloon as a loan car today and it has the same Dunlop SportMaxx RT tyres that I have on my A3 2.0TDI-184 quattro Sport (with SE suspension) Sportback. The size is the difference. The Saloon has 224/40 R 18 tyres on 18" alloys where as my Sportback has 225/45 R17 tyres on 17" alloys. Having been out in the Saloon this morning the tyre noise is much more noticeable on the same road that I often use that it is in my Sportback. So obviously tyre/wheel size and the type of suspension can make a big difference to the tyre noise in the cabin.

Hankook make the best cheap tyres but they aren't a patch on better tyres from decent makes.

In general:
Michelin, Bridgestone,Goodyear are good
Continentals are ok but don't last long.
Dunlop and Pirelli tyres are terrible in my experience.
Hankook are ok.
Avoid Avon, Firestone.
As for part warn tyres, I would avoid at all costs

Had a re-read and had to edit the post. The cost isn't an option in my tyre choice and why would it when you spend a fortune on a new Audi car. I had continentals previously on 2 Audi A3's from new and they were ok, good grip and handling. I had Pirellis on my previous BMW 3 series and they wore faster, however having tried the Hankooks this week on my A4 I definitely would recommend them. It's early days with them but there we go... £30 cheaper a corner as well for money's sake. That's 2 slabs of uri gellar that could have been wasted...
Tyre size 255/35/19 and I paid £128 each fitted...?
Make your own mind up and read the reviews. I'd rather a good review than a 'good' looking tyre...

Last edited:
When mine are due I'm probably going to plump for the Goodyear Eagle F1's. They seem to get a decent writeup, plus fair few forum members have them.

Looks like the Continental Conti Sport 5 won yet another tyre test. ... ( I think I can hear the moans already .. )

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/16545/best-tyres-evo-tyre-test-2015/page/0/4

This one was from EVO in Sep 2015. The interesting thing here is that it was actually on the same tyre size as the S3 / Golf R rather than the 17inch versions in previous tests.

Hands up....I have to admit I have actually been pretty impressed with the Conti Sport 5 tyre. The roads around where I live are shocking, pot hole heaven and with terrible road surfaces, and they have performed great, no punctures ( I had some issues with previous cars / tyre brands ) and no issues with grip levels. I have found them consistent in just about all weather conditions, both wet and dry, handling as expected..if not better than expected ( although Quattro 4WD ( yes I know its only Haldex.. but it probably all helps to keep u planted around the bendy bits ! :) ) . I have also found them to still be pretty good even though I am close to the wear indicators (3.5 - 4mm on the front and 5mm on the back @ 15k miles). Mileage probably not the best out of a set of tyres, but certainly not the worst with some changing after 6-8k. In fact some changing from new as they don't like the tyres at all !!!

I have also not really noticed them drop off in performance..( famous last words with the weather turning ) , i.e. no flashing traction control lights or spongy feel from them etc, even when pushing on. ( although to be fair I probably don't push them that hard.. no rally driving around here ! ). I have also not really noticed any excess noise, although I don't tend to drive around specifically listening to tyres or have the windows down. ( its either the exhaust or the stereo ! ). I do look after the pressures and keep a close eye on them but that's it. I don't like tyres to go below 3mm depth ( even though 1.6mm is the UK limit ) so thats where I always change and hence why I have started to look around as its getting closish.

I noticed there was also thread on Pistonheads about tyres and thats what started the ball rolling.....

However finding this thread here and reading through most of it.. has got me thinking yet again.... What tyres next .. Should I stick with another set of the Contis or bust for a different brand... and then if so what..???

Currently ( as of Jan 2016 ) all of the so called " premium " tyres are pretty much in the same ball park price wise. There are also quite a few deals out there especially if you buy a pair or 4 tyres. .. Halfords for example with £15 off every pair ... ( once again I can hear the groans )... ( I will probably buy 4 tyres and save the best 2 original tyres from the rear for punctures) .. I'm historically good at picking up nails / screws and even an old door handle ( yes I did say a door handle) great for getting punctures ! .

Tyre Options:

** Michelin PS3 ( PS4 latest version )- Price £99 upwards for PS3 / £110 for PS4 fitted ( Have always been a fan of Michelin tyres, found them very good on previous cars ( hot hatches etc ) , although wear rates worst than others )

** Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 ( AS3 newer tyre ? ) Price £96 upwards fitted ( had these on previous rear wheel drive cars and loved them, both look and feel.. great tyre )

** Conti Sport 5 - Price £90 upwards fitted - Only had Contis once before and not anything like the Sport 5's. The things just would not wear out... These Sport 5's though are the complete opposite.. Although I am not moaning at 15k. Shame they don't do the newer Sport 6 in the 18 inch size yet.

** I notice that the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are not load rating 92Y but only 88Y. Not sure what difference that makes, but as mine is a Sportback and at times I have the boot loaded up and the rear seats full ( kids ) I will probably stick with 92Y load rating which I presume are safer with errrm... loads ( hence the rating? ) . So I will probably not look at the PSS.

** I also notice that the Conti Sport 5, seem to come in various OEM types which strangely are more expensive and have worst ratings for noise / fuel economy etc i.e. Merc / Audi variants etc than just the standard tyre... Not sure what that is all about ?

Anyway .... I digress.... Am I the only one out there though, who doesn't think the worst of the Conti Sport 5's ? .. And can someone please help me make a decision re tyre choice...

I'm going round and round and round... literally. !

Thanks
Jungle

Last edited:
All out of date except for the Super Sports.

MPS4 , Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 3 and Conti 6's .

Good replies, I have to say I've been pretty pleased with the Conti Sport 5s on my S3, they seem to grip and grip but at this stage I don't know what sort of mileage I'll get as I'm only about 4000 miles in so far.

I've heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 for price/performance/longevity though from other people.

Also something to bear in mind is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric apparently have good rim protection if that's important to you

All out of date except for the Super Sports.

MPS4 , Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 3 and Conti 6's .

Conti 6 - Only seem to be available for 19inch wheels and above at present.. I have the 18s. ASY3 and MPS4 noted.. thx.

@NATOuk Rim protection isn't such an issue as I have Alloygators saving the rims anyway.

The problem with these group tests is that they don't test the Conti5 AO version, which is fitted to our cars (different compound) and they also don't test them when they have had some wear on them.

They are noisy too!