Replacement Tyre - Questions

PhxViper

Reaction score
Hi All,

Found a nail in rear nearside tyre yesterday while washing the car.
As its a company car, advised the fleet manager and they took it to Audi this morning to get checked.

It's just come back, it went to ATS as they deal with VAG car wheels.

The tyre has been replaced (After only 4000 miles) with a Michelin Sport Pilot 4 instead of the Bridgestone Potenza that came with the car, as apparently that is the now advised tyre for the car?

Anyone has had this experience? Mainly curious, but wondering if they have just ripped the company off as the tyre had to be paid for and not covered until the maintenance contract.

Picture of the Nail (Top Right) - Excuse the "Rust"
1ObJU4t.jpg

WOW! You gotta wonder how that got there...unless you drive sideways of course!

I'm surprised they fitted different makes on the same axle. It would not be legal if you take the car to France.

WOW! You gotta wonder how that got there...unless you drive sideways of course!

Yeah there was a nail spilage on an A road near here a few weeks, ago. Guess they didn't get them all!

I'm surprised they fitted different makes on the same axle. It would not be legal if you take the car to France.

Yeah I was surprised. Luckily I have no plans to take it to France, but it did raise debate in the office about it!

Personally I wouldn't mix tyre brands on one axle as there could be different grip on each side of the rear which might make life interesting in the wet but its up to the owner. Just looks poor to anyone purchasing the car and doesn't appeal to my eye for detail..

I got a puncture after only 600 miles trying to find a tyre place with the same hankook in stock was difficult

My colleague has the same Bridgestone on his s line...mine came with hankook...

I can't imagine it will do any damage but I would want same brand over the same axle

The issue is less about manufacturer and more about tread depth differences and tread pattern. A lot of the high performance tyres are now asymmetric, and I think you want both tyres the same (e.g. Both asymmetric or both directional) and both within a mil or two of each other. The reason being the impact on traction especially in the wet and wanting similar traction on both sides of the car so you don't get slip on one side and not the other and spin it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a nail in my Conti SP6s after 1400 miles! Luckily it was a straight forward repair.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Found a nail in rear nearside tyre yesterday while washing the car.
As its a company car, advised the fleet manager and they took it to Audi this morning to get checked.

It's just come back, it went to ATS as they deal with VAG car wheels.

The tyre has been replaced (After only 4000 miles) with a Michelin Sport Pilot 4 instead of the Bridgestone Potenza that came with the car, as apparently that is the now advised tyre for the car?

Anyone has had this experience? Mainly curious, but wondering if they have just ripped the company off as the tyre had to be paid for and not covered until the maintenance contract.

Picture of the Nail (Top Right) - Excuse the "Rust"
1ObJU4t.jpg

I totally agree with all the comments about NEVER mixing tyre types on the same axle, if you're ever misfortunate enough to hit standing water at high speed on a motorway you don't want mixed tyres across the same axle... it could be the difference between a scary moment or a crash, especially on the rear. There is good reason it's illegal to do this in some countries.

Info below from Continental's website:

We recommend that the same tyres are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle. If however due to availability or economical considerations mixing is necessary, than it is permissible to mix brands and tread patterns as long as the same tread patterns and brands are fitted across the same axle. It may also be possible to mix load index and speed symbol as long as the load index and speed symbols are above the minimum vehicle manufacture's recommendations (extra load vs standard load). In such cases the higher rated tyres should be fitted on the rear axle.

Echo the above comments about mixing your tyres, but on the only positive note I would highly recommend the Michelin PS4 anyday over Bridgestone. I think it is a much better tyre - excellent IMO.

Thanks for the responses all.
I've heard it all before on not mixing tyres. You think as it was done under maintenance contact and taken to ATS they would have advised to either put Michelin on both sides or stick with the bridgestones.

I'll mention it to the fleet manager tomorrow.

Echo the above comments about mixing your tyres, but on the only positive note I would highly recommend the Michelin PS4 anyday over Bridgestone. I think it is a much better tyre - excellent IMO.

I had the PS2 on my B7 and loved them. Fingers crossed this is just as good.

Re tread depth.... The advice I had from Audi is that the tread depth difference should be no more than 2mm across the axle and 3mm front and rear (same side) for Quattro cars.

Reactions: PhxViper