Replacement LED Headlight advice

oedipus

Reaction score
Hi,
got a cracked headlight lens on my A3 (LED) and just got a quote from my Audi dealer for replacement:
Headlight - £1241.57
Labour(2hrs) - £285.60
Total - £1527.17

which is a lot. Has anyone had a similar experience and can recommend a breakers where I can get the part and then have a garage fit it (or would advise against this) or recommend getting it done and claiming on insurance.
Thoughts/advice welcome

With it costing that much I'd consider going through insurance.

I'm inclining that way. Does anyone know if the other headlight options would have been significantly cheaper to replace? I would have thought twice about speccing them had I been aware of this.

Xenons are a £ grand each so does not surprise me that the fancier LED ones are £1250 - surprised they are not more tbh.

Could you claim a cracked lens on insurance ?

If you can, it may be the way to go though agreed.

Wow ! that's pretty steep sorry to hear this.

Good point though to worn others should the price gap have been larger it may be an option when speccing as you suggest. I take it that the lens itself is not serviceable being clipped on rather than glued ? Would go check on mine but lunch is about to finish.

Wow that's a lot of money. Do you know how it cracked?
The lens on mine feels like plastic, so I wouldn't think it would crack very easily, well at least I hope it won't crack easily at that price!!

Ouch!!

If you dont want to have to claim on insurance, Ebay or any breakers is maybe worth a go?

I saw an 8V offside LED light sell on ebay last week for under £100 !!!

I have fitted ventureshield 3M film on mine to try and prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Insurance should cover that but if a stone cracked it I would say there is the potential to kick off at Audi and ask for the bill to be subsidised as unit should withstand a stone chip IMO. Worth a try...

Xenons are a £ grand each so does not surprise me that the fancier LED ones are £1250 - surprised they are not more tbh.

Could you claim a cracked lens on insurance ?

If you can, it may be the way to go though agreed.

The difference between the actual headlight units is much greater for the LED units. I am assuming the £1000 you are talking about was for the complete headlight including the control gear.
I have just looked up the prices on ETKA for just the lens units and they are:
LED headlight - £1100 + vat = £1320
Xenon cornering - £460 + vat = £552
Xenon - £380 + vat = £456
Halogen - £195 + vat = £234.

Ouch - I'm driving everywhere backwards :D

Reactions: jetron, Rob2k68, Pulp84 and 1 other person