Replacement front spotlights for '59 Le Mans

far2tall

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a nice cool white bulb to replace the stock yellow ish ones? (but not verging on blue).

Thanks

The Osram Cool Blue Intense seem to be the whitest halogen bulbs you can get without going into the 'not road legal' department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve
Are they verging on blue? I don't want anything overly intense, just a crisp white without being too blue.

I would say that they are more on the yellow side of white than the blue side, but they are as blue as you can go legally

I run on those Osram's CBI and would still upgrade them to even cooler temperature ones.
Have look around the net and compare with Philips Xtreme vision, if you want

I think the Philips may be too extreme! Ordered the Osrams for £22 for the pair, I'll give them a try first.

You will not regret your choice.
Let us see the result.
Where did you find CBI's for £22?

Might grab a pair myself whilst they are cheap, I have CBIs in my cornering lights and I really like the colour, but I still have a pair of cheaper 5000K bulbs in the front fogs/spots and I don't like them as much.

Riiiight!
Now I got'ya people.

I thought that you're talking about the front dome spot light bulbs originally. But as you went along, it turned out you talking about the front lamps, hence my question was about the price for the bulbs. I was under the wrong impression of low beam bulbs needed as a D3S's, but you are after fog light bulbs H11's.

OMG, I'm dumb. Duh

Spent too much time at home already and got confused there.

D3S Osram CBi are slightly more expensive. Lol
Go for them if you want to match up with your fog's.

I think it was me not being clear in the first place - should have called them fogs not spots. My main headlights are xenon and the fogs are very yellow in comparison hence me looking for an upgrade!

Reactions: KrisKrk
Someone in a bosch garage told me any alteration to these original bulbs would cause problems!?

I doubt Osram would make them if that was as the case? ..I'll let you know when they arrive and I've fitted them. Hopefully it'll be hassle free.

Fogs are 5 minutes to replace.
Just take the grille off, 2 x T15 (I think) off the brackets and the whole lamp is in your hands.
Unplug the bulb, twist off the base and replace in reverse.

Bibbym, I've changed fogs in all my cars and never had a problem with "smurfs" or on the MOT.

That's what I thought Kris, I'll post a pic when they're done.

Have you got the standard xenons for your main headlights or are those upgraded too?

I've recently bought an a6 avant Le mans with bi xenons and the fogs are yellow in comparison to the drl's and main lights, I know some led ones will flash when the car does its check every 30 seconds or so, thinking of ordering some osram cool intense blue h11, is h11 the correct fitment for the fogs?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's exactly what I've just ordered for the same reason. Osram H11 CBI. I'll let you know how it goes / looks.

Reactions: Furryhobnob
That's exactly what I've just ordered for the same reason. Osram H11 CBI. I'll let you know how it goes / looks.
I might order some myself, I have ordered some osram cbi h7 as I'd read that's what the fogs were, I knew it didn't seem right, I'll get some h11 ordered and sell the h7 on I think

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In my headlights I fitted the Osram Nightbreaker D3S bulbs and the CBI (halogen) cornering bulbs (my car has cornering bulbs instead of separate main beam).

The CBI halogens are a pretty good colour match for the Nightbreaker Xenons, for me that was the main objective.

So my Osram CBI H11 bulbs turned up, went to fit them on Sunday and found that the previous set of bulbs had melted the back of the light units!! Had to order a new pair

Wow! They must've used more powerful bulbs there. 100watts?

Very strange! I've got mine too, just not had time to fit them yet, will get a pic up as soon as I do.

Finally got my new Foglight units after a few screw 'UPS' over delivery.

Pics of the old melted ones:-

55307cd037a3cd0fd016feaffd32238c.jpg
484e3fcfeefd576a099a243737fef798.jpg

New with Osram CBIs:-

e94b9d6ec371571210f9c4380459cadd.jpg

And fitted :) :-

4f6a523217d4a8455dae487c066dcfc9.jpg

Still clearly yellower than the Xenon headlights (Osram Nightbreaker) but closer than the standard halogen bulbs.

Finally got my new Foglight units after a few screw 'UPS' over delivery.

Pics of the old melted ones:-

55307cd037a3cd0fd016feaffd32238c.jpg
484e3fcfeefd576a099a243737fef798.jpg

New with Osram CBIs:-

e94b9d6ec371571210f9c4380459cadd.jpg

And fitted :) :-

4f6a523217d4a8455dae487c066dcfc9.jpg

Still clearly yellower than the Xenon headlights (Osram Nightbreaker) but closer than the standard halogen bulbs.

Looking good. I've got the CBI fog lamps too, very pleased with them, just can't get a decent photo to put up from the iPhone.
What is the bulb ref for the main headlights? I've got bi xenons and not sure. I'd like to go for some nightbreakers too. My halogens are weak.

Just as a note, be warned! The only way to change the halogen headlamp cornering bulbs on my car was to remove the bumper and then the headlight units, the bulbs are too deep inside and the access behind is simply not enough to get to them.

Looking good, Steve!

You can see the difference but I'm sure it also down to the camera/phone.
My car bulb pictures were slightly off as to the real life.

As for the cornering bulb you mean the main beam, right?
If so, I've tried to at least touch the connector and couldn't. It is difficult to get to them unless you remove the lamps (with bumper prior to that as you said)or sit in the engine bay (instead of engine) lol.
Not sure if taking the lamps out mess up the auto levelling system?

Thanks for the info guys, good to know what I'm getting myself into!

If changing the bulbs messes up the self levelling system then that would explain why it failed the MOT on this point, the garage adjusted them before the retest

If changing the bulbs messes up the self levelling system then that would explain why it failed the MOT on this point, the garage adjusted them before the retest

I meant lamps, not bulbs.
Read somewhere that self level system motors are somehow easy to mess up if lamp wasn't removed careful. Might be wrong as never attempted to do that.
Had a bumper off, when was changing the grille but didn't want to touch lamps.
Might need to one day as need to make sure my main beam bulb type and replace them to match my CBi xenons.

I'm confused guys. Are you saying the xenons are easy to change and it's just the main beam halogens to leave alone? I have the bi xenon type.

The xenons aren't too difficult to change, just might require some dismantling of air cleaner ducting, depending on which engine you have.
The main beam halogens are used to flash the headlights even with bi-xenons.
I haven't changed those on mine yet, although I have discovered that removing the bumper takes about 10 - 15 minutes, so it isn't too bad if you need to do it. Be careful with the mounts for the headlight housings though. They are adjustable and take a lot of time to get right if you disturb them.

It's all relative I guess, the Xenons are possible to reach without removing the headlamp. The halogen bulbs are further forward into the headlamp and are a pita to change, some people report it is possible without removing the headlamp (and bumper) but I think they must have multi jointed arms or something!

I might just change the xenons and leave the halogens as standard. It's the xenon that's in use most of the time after all.
...now just to decide between nightbreakers or CBIs.

Go for the Philips Xtreme vision.

Slightly whiter than CBI's and brighter than any any bulb on the market (imo)

Let us see the result