Replaced Ignition Lock and engine will not start

Flexday

Reaction score
First post here not counting the introduction:
I have a 2001 A4 B5 that I have been wrenching on for the past three years. The ignition lock broke ( the thin blade that turns the ignition switch) so I pulled the airbag, steering wheel, steering column covers, lower kick cover, wiper /light control arms and lock mechanism. Swapped out the key and induction ring using the paper clip technique to the new lock assembly and put it back together. EXCEPT: I cannot find the wires and connector that go to the lock induction coil. I think i remember pulling it out of the old one but now it is just not there. Thinking that I might have never been there I put it all back together without the induction ring hooked up and the can started ran for about 3 seconds and then died. It will crank now but not start,
The wires I think I am missing are the 2 that would plug into the induction ring like 1 in the borrowed image below. .
Upload 2016 7 3 19 41 11

I have spent hours searching the web for similar threads, have been to my local audi dealership looking for the location of the wire . It seems to be in the harness going to the wiper controls. When I stripped the outer covering from the wiring harness I cannot find any broken off or pulled back wires.

So I am in need of some help.
1) Can anyone confirm that the immobilizer /induction ring ( the black plastic end on the ignition lock) is connected to the car's wiring harness and if so where does the wire come form in the harness. Pictures would be great.
2) Do I need to have the car reprogrammed at the dealership (The battery was disconnected during this repair and it took about 2 weeks for all the parts to show up.)

Thanks This one is driving me crazy
Flexday

The wires I think I am missing are the 2 that would plug into the induction ring like 1 in the borrowed image below. .

Audi  ignition lock

Does your immobiliser light flash when you try to start the car? What you describe sounds sort of like immo, except it'll usually start every time then cut out after a second or two. If theres no light, its probably not the IMMO but something else.

Here in europe, all B5's had the immobiliser (it became a legal requirement in the mid 90s), but in the USA i know a lot of them didnt have it. Your location says Canada, so i'm not sure what they did over there.

If your car has the immobiliser, then yes, its plugged into the cars loom. I'll take a pic in a minute of the wiring on my track car as its visible, hopefully you can see where it goes.

And no, your battery being off makes no odds to the immobiliser. The pickup ring not being plugged in however does :p

Get yourself VCDS and scan the Engine and Instruments controllers and see if there are any fault codes.

Aragorn Thanks for the response and yes the photo would be helpfull
I do not think I have an immobilizer. There is no warning light on the instrument cluster like a key with a line through it. I do think I have a chipped key and there is the induction ring on the lock mechanism. I scanned for codes and did not get any stored or pending codes from the engine. I do not have the VCDS tool.
So this leaves me back to finding out if the induction ring at the ignition lock is always wired into the car's ecu to tell it the key is recognised and the can is allowed to start.

if you dont have the immobiliser the chip key and induction ring etc doesnt do anything...

The symbol is a car with a key underneath. It comes on with the ignition and then goes out. If you dont have it you have no immo, and if theres no immo the induction ring etc serves no purpose, which is presumably why your car has no wiring for it.

Problem Solved!!!
Back to the basics Put it all back together , no wire to the induction coil , Still no start.
Check fuel pressure ..ok,
check injectors with noids... lights up like a christmas tree,
Pull coil pack and check spark ... lots of spark. ..
Crankshaft position sensor.. Scanner shows 150 rpm at crank ... ???
So it should run if it has spark fuel and timing..try again and it starts.
I think it took some time for the throttle to relearn it's happy place..
There never was a wire to the induction coil.
Thanks aragorn et al for the help on this board
If anyone has this problem ,,, Crank engine over for about 2 minutes, 30 seconds at a time to prevent overheating the starter. It might work..
Flexday

Did you, before the issue happened, start it then shut it off after a very short time?

I've had similar thing happen when i started the car, then realised i'd left something in the house and shut it off almost immediately. When i came back out it wouldnt start. I guess it fouled the plugs or flooded the cylinders with fuel etc. Lots of cranking and full throttle application eventually got it started.

Did you, before the issue happened, start it then shut it off after a very short time?

I've had similar thing happen when i started the car, then realised i'd left something in the house and shut it off almost immediately. When i came back out it wouldnt start. I guess it fouled the plugs or flooded the cylinders with fuel etc. Lots of cranking and full throttle application eventually got it started.

I changed my Oil yesterday and Filter when I had filled it I wanted to crank the Engine a couple of times to fill the Filter up..

I cranked it a about 3 times without letting it actually start and when I did start it I noticed I had lost the Instrument Panel the Ok was there but nothing else I thought I had blown a fuse and check the usual suspects but found nothing blown..

After about 10-15mind doing this I started it up and the Instrument panel was working again...had to reset itself I think unless someone can tell me different..

fill the filter before you fit it ;)

Sounds like you'd just turned the DIS off. Pressing the reset button underneath turns the screen off and on.

Could have been a clumsy shutdown. The original problem was a broken ignition switch. The switch went to run position but would not crank the starter and then when turned back would not go to the off position. I disconnected the battery to turn it off and pushed it into the shop. After replacing everything and getting it back together it started immediately and then after about 3 seconds died. after that it would crank but no start..
I wish now that I had just kept cranking it over to adapt the throttle.

I did push the throttle while using the scanner before it started to confirm that I was seeing the range from closed to full throttle position.
I also with the key on but not running yet pushed on the brake and put the automatic transmission from park to drive and back to park.
somewhere in all this something changed and the car started.
I want to believe that I did it otherwise I have to believe the car is possessed and that is an entirely different thread....
Flexday

fill the filter before you fit it ;)

Sounds like you'd just turned the DIS off. Pressing the reset button underneath turns the screen off and on.

No I never turned anything off for sure I would have known that if I did...

Yeah thanks Kev fill the Filter before fitting.....

the buttons on the underside of the stalk, maybe you bumped it? Or maybe it just had a minor fit :p

I always pre-fill the filters if possible. My BMW annoys me as its a paper cartridge and you cant really do it.