Removing The Airbox Housing

ameliasx12

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an Audi A4 B8 Diesel S Line TDI
We are trying to remove the air box housing, there is a cable running through the bottom of it which we can't work out what it is, it does look as though it controls a valve of some sort. Does anyone know, if we were to upgrade the box would we need to cut this cable or how we'd remove it?
Thanks,

Unsure if the 2.0 has the same airbox as the 3.0 but you might find it goes to a flapper mechanism located in the bottom of the airbox. I believe removing it may trigger a code but what I did was remove the flap and leave the rest connected so the actuator is still part of the circuit and functioning which keeps it from throwing the fault.

In relation to the actuator and the small'ish throttle body, what is the actual job of this throttle body and actuator?

On a 3.0TDI it serves the purpose of opening at 3,000RPM to allow in more air into the engine, as well as meet noise regulations at lower passer-by speeds. It is a common mod to perform on those and does help lower down with a bit of extra air without any ramifications. The plug at the bottom is a long flat nose job to apply enough force to unclip the tab on the connector, and then with another hand slid down the side of the air box towards the connector, pull it off. When the circular piece at the bottom of the air box is taken out, you simply reconnect the plug and reinstall the airbox. No fault code will be thrown if it is still plugged in to the actuator within the airbox itself, as the ECU knows no different.

I got a bit more air intake noise and rumble on my 3.0 TDI. Can't imagine it hurting on the 2.0TDI.

Awesome, thanks for that responce. I had a few ideas what it might be for. My issue is that ive snapped the wires going into that plug that goes into the actuator. My fuel economy has dropped a bit in the last month and was wondering if the two where link as they coinside within the same time frame.