1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing RainEx

Adam14 Sep 27, 2018

1. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Audi S3 DSG

Hi All,

As per the title I applied RainEx a month or so to my S3, seemed to go on well enough but now we've had some rain I've noticed a few issues which I can only point to the RainEx, these being:

- In the cold weather, my windscreen seems to steam up from the outside, it's not steam it's almost like trapped moisture? But on the outside so have to keep my wipers on until the car heats up
    - When raining the wipers come on, but seem to smear? Which actually hinders, didn't do this pre application.

I can only think RainEx is the cause, so is there a way to remove the application so my glass goes back to being product free? And I'll look at applying something else.

Cheers all.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

You'll always get a slight smearing with these aquaphobic solutions especially when the weather starts getting cooler/colder, rain X doesn't last that long so it should start to wear off the more you use your wipers, the symptoms you describe will happen with all windscreen sealants, it doesn't bother me l just wait till the screen heats up a little before l drive off

q5man and Scotty75 like this.
  4. Adam14

Cheers Jassy for the tips! Was just hoping to remove it ASAP, as has been a month and still present. Will hold off on future sealants for now then. Thanks.

jassyo06 likes this.
  5. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Team Brilliant Black Silver Supporter Sportback Audi A3 S-line owners group Manual

I also get this with Angelwax H2Go but never realised it was a side effect of aquaphobic treatment. Learn something new everyday

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

q5man likes this.
  6. Adam14

Certainly do! Joys of the forum

Scotty75 likes this.
  7. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

If you look at a treated windscreen and a untreated windscreen say on a cold morning, you'll notice the treated screen is pale green in tone with some beading/moisture on top of it where as the untreated screen is clear ish, extact same principle applies to paint coated with a product and paint with nothing on it, aquaphobic glass/paint products all hold on to standing water/moisture far more hence the moisture on the windscreen and beading on paint

q5man likes this.
  8. jassyo06

Also on a frozen treated windscreen it'll defrost quicker than a untreated windscreen as the ice will slip off easier

illingworth22, q5man and Adam14 like this.
  9. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

now that I do like :icon thumright:

Back to OP, I guess to remove RainX, would need something like their Extreme clean, or another strong APC?

10. Adam14

I thought of some alcohol wipes or something, got a degreaser/APC which might do the job? Thanks

11. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

reckon APC will do the job

Adam14 likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. jassyo06

Glass polish will remove it

Adam14 and q5man like this.
  14. Adam14

Just wanted to say, used the glass polish today. Has done the job. Thanks Jassy.

scotty76, q5man and jassyo06 like this.
  15. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

FWIW I don't put glass coatings on the driver's side of the screen for the reasons you bumped into. Happy to do the other windows and passenger's side but never been a fan on the driver's side regardless of the coating. Just my opinion, stand down from the flame canons :)

Pook, jassyo06 and Adam14 like this.
  16. jassyo06

l hate using window wipers....with a passion,just for safety reason alone a hydrophobic treated windscreen is a god send especially with winter looming....i spend about 30 minutes just cleaning the windscreen and wipers before applying a coating probably more, prep is everything,hence l have never needed to buy a new set of wiper blades on all of my cars

scotty76 and q5man like this.
  17. q5man

What do you tend to clean the wipers with? Just wet mf? Any product?

18. A4A4

A4A4 Well-Known Member

White vinegar and on damp cloth, pulled along the blades does a good job.

q5man likes this.
  19. jassyo06

I use glass cleaner mate ie Angelwax Vision strongest glass cleaner out there

q5man likes this.
  20. q5man

lol, fiar enough, thought you may have some special wiper blade concoction :whistle2:

jassyo06 likes this.
  21. jassyo06

Nah mate if your cleaning glass and then applying a hydrophobic solution i just concentrate solely on the glass because to do it properly it takes time, my glass will get seeing to soon, l have a permanent hydrophobic solution in one of my cardboard boxes lol so going apply this to the glass of the pano-roof

q5man likes this.
  22. DotNetDude

DotNetDude Active Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I use RainRacer, and I'm definitely in the camp of loving the product, although when it starts to wear a little it does smear a bit. The Rain Racer came with a cleaning product, referred to as "burnishing gel". The instructions are adamant that this should be used to clean the window before applying the product, and to be fair whilst I don't actually know what it is, it is an excellent glass cleaner.

I've definitely noticed that if I don't clean the screen properly, or apply the product in a rush, then it doesn't bead as well, noticeable more in fine rain or drizzle. Definitely a better result when taking a good 30 minutes to clean the screen properly first, apply the product, and then buff it off well.

q5man likes this.