1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing paint from paint

Jonnie Nov 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM

1. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

So despite being assured by the neighbour's decorator my car was far enough away it now resembles a Jackson Pollock. How they managed to get paint a good 4m away from the wall they were working on is completely beyond me but they did.

Thankfully I managed to get most of it off with a jet wash but there are still some spots remaining.

Is it safe to use white spirit? Would a clay bar get it up? Is the same method for getting it off paint going to work on the glass, plastic and rubber? I'm hesitant to go in too aggressive incase it causes more damage. Some tiny spots come up after being scratched with a finger nail.

Before and after washing pictures below

IMG_7949.jpg

b6c1b498-d931-4363-bbe0-2fb18d82c961.JPG

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 2:01 PM
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Active Member

Are you getting paid from the painters for the time you have taken to get the paint off .?Or is it a case of less hassle doing it by your self.

Jonnie likes this.
  4. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

Try a 50/50 ipa water mix....does'nt budge just use ipa undiluted but hopefully its a water based paint that's splattered over your car, but again most are water based these days

Jonnie likes this.
  5. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

It was an honest, while stupid, mistake on their part so I don't want to go in all guns blazing just yet. Their gardener caused £350 worth of damage to my rear bumper back in July and I didn't get a penny for that so I don't hold much hope for this if I do try.

Cheers I'll give that a go, hopefully it works

jassyo06 likes this.
  6. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

@jassyo06 Thanks for the advice, it worked on the glass but not on the trim or the paint unfortunately

jassyo06 likes this.
  7. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

You'll need to compound it off mate with a dual action polisher then....like i had to do.....as l parked my car in the summer in a mates driveway....all day and his Mrs decided to paint their wooden fence which was'nt far away and the wind carried all that orange rustic paint on to my car....

8. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

.....bet you weren't best pleased, @jassyo06!!?? :blownose:

jassyo06 likes this.
  9. jassyo06

I felt sick to the stomach mate the car was covered in tiny tiny little orange dots of paint actually l think there's still some on the high gloss black trim around the doors pin head sized only noticeable in direct sunlight

10. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

I feel your pain @ jassyo06, as way back in the early 90's when I was in the Merchant Navy, my ship was drydocked at South Shields, so I took my brand new black Mk2 Golf GTI to the shipyard so I had transport whilst in dock, and one windy day whilst the yard were spraying the hull with grey primer paint, my car, which was parked outside the yard, was literally covered in minute dots of paint....I was absolutely gutted when I saw it!! :wtf:

Obviously, the shipyard denied all responsibility, and the only way I could get rid of the paint was to use paint thinners, which took me about two weeks, and even then I didn't get rid of all of them!!

jassyo06 likes this.
  11. jassyo06

lol l could have strangled her that day........but he did say the night before shes was going to paint the garden fence..........lol should have parked out on the pavement............live n learn mate