removing over spray

S3 chj

Reaction score
hi, iv got some over spary on my lightits the clear coat, has anyone got any tips to remove this, thanks

Morning Chris.

Theres a meeting planned for 3pm at Cardiff West services today, can you make it?

There are 3 or 4 of us planning to attend maybe more, should be good. Can have a look at those lights for you at the meeting if you like.

If you can't attend, i'd start by washing the lights to start with. Using a clay bar then after they are clean, with plenty of lube which should get the overspray off. If this doesn't work you could wet sand but that is taking it a bit far. I managed to successfully wet sand and bring back perfect a friends lights on his integra type r. They look brand new. I used my rotary polisher after the wet sand with various polishing pads and Menzerna products.

Hope this helps.

G

Morning Chris.

Theres a meeting planned for 3pm at Cardiff West services today, can you make it?

There are 3 or 4 of us planning to attend maybe more, should be good. Can have a look at those lights for you at the meeting if you like.

If you can't attend, i'd start by washing the lights to start with. Using a clay bar then after they are clean, with plenty of lube which should get the overspray off. If this doesn't work you could wet sand but that is taking it a bit far. I managed to successfully wet sand and bring back perfect a friends lights on his integra type r. They look brand new. I used my rotary polisher after the wet sand with various polishing pads and Menzerna products.

Hope this helps.

G

Hi Mr G,

sorry cant make the meet im still waiting for my abs pump to be coded to my car i would of come along otherwise but thanks anyway,
so a caly bar should get it out you say, il have to pop out to buy one have seen them in local motor shops, i dont trust my self to wet sand the lights so il just go for the clay bar option,
thanks for the advice and have fun at the meet!!

Hi.

You could always come up with me if you want. Do you live far from bridgend?

Clay bar should do the trick, there are different types though. Fine, medium etc.

I cant say that i've had to remove overspray before but i'm pretty sure the above will work.

Wet sanding isn't as hard as you might think. As long as you prepare everything properly before hand, like take the lights off the car etc it'll be ok.

I could help you if you like seeing as you live in S.Wales like me.

G

hi mate im in pontypridd just been out to get a meguiars quic clay it says it will remove the paint over spray so im going to give it a go now, but thanks for the offer mate il be up for the next local meet :respekt:

can you clay glass?

can you clay glass?

Yes you can, here's a quote from Polished Bliss from another topic:

"Sounds like bonded surface contamination to me (which could be anything ranging from industrial fallout, to overspray, to tar, etc, etc). The first thing i would do is to clay the glass using an aggressive clay bar and a lubricant, as this should exfoliate the contaminants away, leaving the glass perfectly smooth again - the wipers will then behave perfectly, providing they are not damaged in any way. More details on claying can be found here..."

Remember your lights probably aren't glass though if that's what you were thinking ....

Yes you can, here's a quote from Polished Bliss from another topic:

"Sounds like bonded surface contamination to me (which could be anything ranging from industrial fallout, to overspray, to tar, etc, etc). The first thing i would do is to clay the glass using an aggressive clay bar and a lubricant, as this should exfoliate the contaminants away, leaving the glass perfectly smooth again - the wipers will then behave perfectly, providing they are not damaged in any way. More details on claying can be found here..."

Remember your lights probably aren't glass though if that's what you were thinking ....

thanks james,
i was just wondering if i could clay my windscreen, now i know i can i will give it ago

Claying carefully with an aggressive clay bar should be the first step for sure, but if this fails to work, the next step should be polishing, as this will be less risky than wet sanding. On plastic light clusters Menzerna Final Polish II is a good choice for starters, and should be applied using a semi-firm foam pad. You can go more aggressive in terms of polish choice if needs be, and this is preferable to wet sanding. As a last resort, wet sanding could be done, but the thin film thickness of the surface coating on modern lights means that it is a risky option. We've never yet had to wet sand lights, machine polishing has been enough. :icon_thumright: