Removing front number plate

So your telling me you’ve never ONCE used a handheld device while driving. Or stoped on double yellow lines.
I probably used a mobile years ago before it became apparent how distracting they are and were made illegal, but WRT stopping on yellow lines, of course not, why would I?

I probably used a mobile years ago before it became apparent how distracting they are and were made illegal, but WRT stopping on yellow lines, of course not, why would I?

Next you’ll be telling me you bought a RS3 to stick to the speed limits. Member and stick to 18 mph in the 20s just to be on the safe side

Reactions: D0C and Omy193
Next you’ll be telling me you bought a RS3 to stick to the speed limits. Member and stick to 18 mph in the 20s just to be on the safe side

Next you’ll be saying you modded a already quick enough car just so you can sit at 70mph .

20mph areas usually exist for a reason. And you’d be an idiot to to go over that limit.

Next you’ll be telling me you bought a RS3 to stick to the speed limits.
Generally speaking I do. Acceleration is much more fun than outright speed, especially on public roads.

Reactions: T-800, AudiNutta, andyt99 and 1 other person
As much as these cars look great without them it just isn’t worth the £100 fine not to mention that your car will more than likely be on there radar.

Next you’ll be saying you modded a already quick enough car just so you can sit at 70mph .

20mph areas usually exist for a reason. And you’d be an idiot to to go over that limit.
So you telling me you never have been over the speed limit ?

Reactions: billymc92
So you telling me you never have been over the speed limit ?

*you’re

I’ll do 20 or under in a 20mph zone,

I don’t ever speed on a public road, I prefer getting up to speed quickly rather than exceeding it.

*you’re

I don’t ever speed on a public road, I prefer getting up to speed quickly rather than exceeding it.

Lol, when out of options, correct their spelling.....

Reactions: kanecullen89, zaka7, AB RS3 and 4 others
*you’re

I hope I don’t get stuck behind you ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beebee-one, billymc92 and Rayner_1704
I hope I don’t get stuck behind you ..

I hope you try overtake me only to end up next to me on the next set of traffic light/junction for me to look over to you with a smug face.

I guess the national speed limits don’t exist for you.

I hope you try overtake me only to end up next to me on the next set of traffic light/junction for me to look over to you with a smug face.

Are you on the right forum?

Reactions: AB RS3, Rayner_1704, oli356 and 3 others
Seen a few turnips around with that tint film on their number plates...........:busted cop:

Why.......? To look like a 'Bad Boy' jeeeez.:sadlike:

There are some mods that just end up drawing your attention rather than hiding it... it’s the same with rediculous fonts some people use... they stick out like a sore thumb

I will keep an eye out and give you a wave if I see you .

Reactions: Shawn8V
Hows anout doing this , had mine like this since sept last year and not a stop or a peoblem with police .

20180326 142358 1440x1920

Hows anout doing this , had mine like this since sept last year and not a stop or a peoblem with police .

View attachment 151853

It's technically illegal, see the example of Police prosecutions on page 1 of this thread (the blue Seat) which is similar to the position of your plate. It's to do with the visibility of the entire plate lettering from a specified distance and diagonal angle as prescribed in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001. The Police use these regs as reference in the TOR or FPN they issue.

The Alfa's and Evo's that have number plates located to the side can still be read fully from the front and are therefore compliant, whereas the shape of the front bumper on the A3/S3/RS3 curves round and a stick on number plate cant be fully read from the diagonal angle as stated in the regs.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/part/II/made

I guess up to now you have been lucky for not being stopped.

Reactions: drgav2005 and T-800
Speed limits are the only ‘soft’ law on the roads I’d say the vast majority of people flaunt regularly with no negative consequence... everything else, just do it. Or at least don’t then complain when you get in trouble for it or try to feign ignorance. The big exception is insurance though - if you can’t afford to insure your car then you can’t afford your car and shouldn’t be driving it. If I end up out of pocket because you just don’t fancy playing the game then you deserve jail, or a least a kick in the teeth.

And side plates do look sh**.

Reactions: drgav2005, Beebee-one, T-800 and 1 other person
It's technically illegal, see the example of Police prosecutions on page 1 of this thread (the blue Seat) which is similar to the position of your plate. It's to do with the visibility of the entire plate lettering from a specified distance and diagonal angle as prescribed in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001. The Police use these regs as reference in the TOR or FPN they issue.

The Alfa's and Evo's that have number plates located to the side can still be read fully from the front and are therefore compliant, whereas the shape of the front bumper on the A3/S3/RS3 curves round and a stick on number plate cant be fully read from the diagonal angle as stated in the regs.

There is a big difference too between the A3 and the Evo number plate visibility

The one above cannot be seen fully

Yet on this Evo below even though the angle the car is at on the picture is greater you can still read the plate, because the holder of the plate is designed to make the plate visible.

Dsc 1344

There is a big difference too between the A3 and the Evo number plate visibility

The one above cannot be seen fully

Yet on this Evo below even though the angle the car is at on the picture is greater you can still read the plate, because the holder of the plate is designed to make the plate visible.

View attachment 151874

It still looks shxt !

Reactions: AudiNutta

You could be right but when i looked into it ( spoke to Traffic police ) as long as my number plate was in full view and the background was the same colour and made off reflective material then they have no issue with it but again thats only the the guys i spoke to and i am not saying others might stop me and ask me to remove .
It's like the front side windows tint if you have to much you can be stopped fined £100 and your insurance is void . But if your sensible you only tint enough not to get stopped .

Whenever I see a car with no number plates, I always think that the driver will be sporting a "meet me at McDonald's haircut", and invariably they do. ;)

I guess i better rush and get it back on the front grille no wanting to look like one of those .:blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

I put the Audi Sport holder on the front and got some pressed plates.

I screwed them on but the dealer didn’t put the original plate on in the middle so I’ve warped the sides of the holder. I will probably end up sticking it on with sticky pads but I haven’t decided it it looks better with the holder or without.

What do you guys think?

abc186103635c0402a4e6d9b8e65be27.jpg

b23981756b262643a7ee15e5ecb4e8f3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: oli356
I put the Audi Sport holder on the front and got some pressed plates.

I screwed them on but the dealer didn’t put the original plate on in the middle so I’ve warped the sides of the holder. I will probably end up sticking it on with sticky pads but I haven’t decided it it looks better with the holder or without.

What do you guys think?

abc186103635c0402a4e6d9b8e65be27.jpg

b23981756b262643a7ee15e5ecb4e8f3.jpg

I think without on the front end, I haven’t got mine on. It looks cleaner without, less on the front the better.

Also get rid of the GB badge haha. Plain plates FTW!!

Yea I agree with AN... the front looks better with less there! I’m debating removing the holder and using a small old cut down plate as a “holder” so it’s totally hidden

Reactions: AudiNutta
Yea I agree with AN... the front looks better with less there! I’m debating removing the holder and using a small old cut down plate as a “holder” so it’s totally hidden

I did the same . Plate holders initially front and rear . Looked to clunky . Gone back to plates only on rear my opinion looks cleaner . And I got rid of my GB plates just another reminder of how we had to bend over to European legislators. Going to experiment like Phil says with the front when it gets a bit warmer ...

Reactions: Phil3
I did the same . Plate holders initially front and rear . Looked to clunky . Gone back to plates only on rear my opinion looks cleaner . And I got rid of my GB plates just another reminder of how we had to bend over to European legislators. Going to experiment like Phil says with the front when it gets a bit warmer ...

I’ve always been a fan of a subtle surround, but on the rear I think it would look better plain. But my Mrs’ bought the holders and she isn’t happy one is sat in the garage let alone 2 ;)

I like the holders for ease of transferring at shows.

Reactions: Jonny B

I’ve already got a short plate but it had a couple of inches either side of the end lettering. Yesterday I cut down a spare plate and will use it as the photos showed earlier in the thread, great idea. I’ve got a new shorter plate sat in the house with only 10mm or so either side of the end letters. BUT, I’ve ensured the letter spacing is 100% correct.