Removing doorcard woes

DND

Reaction score
Thought it would be simple, obviously not.

Attempted to replace the doorcard arm rest. as it was looking a little worse for wear.

Opened the car, wound down the window, took key out of ignition, and proceeded to remove doorcard. No issue so far.

Unhooked the cable for central locking from the back of the door card, and also disconnected the plastic module thing for the electric windows. Proceeded to swap door card arm rest, no issue so far.

Put the door card back on the door, but didn't screw it all back up, as wanted to test everything was working to be on the safe side.

Now **** hits the fan.Turn key a couple of clicks, ESP error flashes up, asking me to consult the manual. Try to turn the car over, it makes a clicking noise, like it wants to, but no joy.

I go to the fuse box under the bonnet, and proceed to take a look at the fuses, thinking i blew something. Remove all the fuses to check, give them the once over, everything seems fine, so put them all back. I'm sure i put them all in correctly, but there are 2 i have doubts over as i got distracted whilst putting them back in. Anyone have a clear image of an audi s3 8p's fuse box?

Try to turn the ignition again, and it now reports a problem with the breaks.

Im now also noticing that the central locking is making a weird noise when trying to unlock the car. Almost like a small clunking sound. Only from the door i worked on. Other central locking working as normal.

Faffing around with it a few hours later, and im now stuck with a car which doesn't start, the lights dont even come on the dash, and central locking isn't working. Guessing i shorted out the battery somewhere along the lines?

Would it just be a case of me charging the battery, and trying again once it's got some juice, or have i likely done more damage somehow?

Also, as i was getting out of the car, i hit the hazards light switch to test the battery, and it now continues to click and i can't turn it off. The hazard lights on the dash are a stable colour, and you can hear the relay clicking, though nothing happens if i press the hazard button. Indicators outside of the car don't indicate though, but it's continuing to drain what little battery i had left.

What a day off i've had..........

Disconnect battery for 10-20 mins then reconnect to see if everything resets perhaps.

Reactions: Janice_3S3
If you can't resolve by process of elimination, then I could come out & hopefully resolve it.

Reactions: paddy
Managed to get this resolved in the end, though thanks for the offer :thumbs up:

turned out to be a fuse issue in the engine bay and also a flat battery