Removing Dealer Surround on Number Plate

Urinbits

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a number plate on my 8V without having the dealer surround thing installed? Just started looking online and can't find anything useful but it looks impossible as the plate that pops out of the surround doesn't have any screws or similar.

Any pics ?

Either the plate has the dealer details on a lower tab which is all part of the plate or there's a dealer plate holder that the plate is clipped into. The former requires a new number plate from Halfords or Audi parts dept using a generic rectangular blank. If the latter the pull down the lower edge to unclip and remove the plate, unscrew the plate holder then either drill holes in the plate and secure into the holes that secured the holder or use double sided foam tape.

Reactions: azibux1
It's the latter. Can I buy the plates online with the correct holes in them to screw in or does it have to be from an Audi dealer directly?

It's the latter. Can I buy the plates online with the correct holes in them to screw in or does it have to be from an Audi dealer directly?

The plates come without the holes so you'll have to measure the fixings pitch from the car and mark out and drill yourself. Worth asking a dealer though as I'd imagine since they do so many that they've some sort of template or fixture to do this.

I use the old plate as the template for the holes, drilling with the plates on an old bit of wood.

That would work but his plate has no holes it's clipped into a dealer frame.

The plates come without the holes so you'll have to measure the fixings pitch from the car and mark out and drill yourself. Worth asking a dealer though as I'd imagine since they do so many that they've some sort of template or fixture to do this.

Not going by some plates I've seen fitted Rob :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: well_cool and Rob2k68
Stick it on, problem solved.

Reactions: azibux1 and Rob2k68
If you bin off the surround you should be able to re use the plate. Put an inch long strip of masking tape roughly down the middle of the plate vertically, measure and draw a line accurately marking the middle of the plate. Do the same with a horizontal line drawn in the middle of the plate on a horizontal strip of masking tape. Measure the fixing holes on the boot/tailgate probably plastic inserts then half it and measure from the centre out on the horizontal line. As above place on a block of wood and drill a 2mm diameter hole to start with. Gradually open up the holes a bit at a time until it's 1mm larger diameter than the fixings. That should do it.

Reactions: Badger-a-s and azibux1
Personally I'd stick it on...Looks much nicer in my opinion and won't get spoilt by water ingress like all screwed plates eventually do

I requested my dealer - no surround and no screws.
But you have to have the dealer name on the plate - legal requirement. (Actually I think it's the plate supplier name)

If you bin off the surround you should be able to re use the plate. Put an inch long strip of masking tape roughly down the middle of the plate vertically, measure and draw a line accurately marking the middle of the plate. Do the same with a horizontal line drawn in the middle of the plate on a horizontal strip of masking tape. Measure the fixing holes on the boot/tailgate probably plastic inserts then half it and measure from the centre out on the horizontal line. As above place on a block of wood and drill a 2mm diameter hole to start with. Gradually open up the holes a bit at a time until it's 1mm larger diameter than the fixings. That should do it.
No need to mark up the new plate, just use the old backing as a template as it will have the holes in the correct place & drill through those into the new plate. Personally I'd rather stick the plate directly on but it's more of a faff if you want to remove it again to clean the paintwork behind it.

No need to mark up the new plate, just use the old backing as a template as it will have the holes in the correct place & drill through those into the new plate. Personally I'd rather stick the plate directly on but it's more of a faff if you want to remove it again to clean the paintwork behind it.

That could work but the backing that came off my car is universal and has 2 great slots rather than sized holes - best to measure the body as a double check. Measure twice drill once LoL !

Reactions: richinsoton
Anyone know how much new plates cost from a dealer?

I quite like the dealer tab at the bottom and have a private plate to go on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I buy my plates off ebay - a lot cheaper than dealers and if you look for "road legal" plates they have the supplying dealers name and postcode on the bottom so plod + MOT friendly :)

I always stick them on with double sided pads - look a lot better than screws/ caps

Reactions: azibux1 and Rob2k68
Might replace mine with something like this : amazon.co.uk/Carbon-Effect-Number-Registration-Surround/dp/B00WT4DWHI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
Might replace mine with something like this : amazon.co.uk/Carbon-Effect-Number-Registration-Surround/dp/B00WT4DWHI

Nooooo, think plain black ones would look nicer than those personally.

I have the OEM Audi part 'Audi Sport' one on the rear :-

IMG 2927

Nooooo, think plain black ones would look nicer than those personally.

Yeah I think you are right they would look naff on mine. Will keep an eye out for something plain...