Removing badges

dirk technic

Reaction score
I am thinking of removing the A4 and TDI badges, but I am worried that I will:

a) will damage the paintwork (car is 5 years old now :crying:)
b) leave marks

Is there any easy way to avoid the above or should I just leave well alone? :uhm:

heat up the badge with a hairdryer to warm up glue but don't over do it, keep the hairdryer moving and badge should peel off fairly easily and then use something like AutoGlym Tar & Adhesive remover on a microfibre to clean up any residue left, then polish or re-apply wax to that area

don't use any tools like screwdrivers or wall paper scrapers, do it all by hand and you should be left with a mark free area where the badge once was :icon_thumright:

Is it really that easy? :yahoo:
My only other concern is that when I get the badges off that there outline will be faded into the paint work? :uhm:

Thanks for that, I had a nasty feeling you were going to say that :faint: Tried doing that once before and ended up making it look worse :(

If you are working by hand on Audi paint, I would suggest using Menzerna Intensive Polish applied using a Lake Country German CCS Light Pad; this will cut well enough to remove local oxidation differences (causing any fading) without leaving any nasty polishing marks. I've debadged many cars, and if you follow the advice John gave above you'll find it very straightforward. I have only ever had two unfixable problems; first on my own C2 when after taking off the badge I discovered a fixing hole beneath it (doh, had to refit the badge!), and the second on a car where the pigment layer under the clearcoat had faded, meaning the fading could not be corrected (again, the badge had to be refitted to solve the problem). :icon_thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06
Thanks for the help guys, the Audi badges are just stuck on aren't they? :idea: Is this safe for a novice to attempt? :wacko:

Aye, every Audi we have debadged has featured stuck on badges, with no underlying fixing holes, so you should be fine. As long as you proceed with care using the above advice you'll be fine; John's advice was spot on. :icon_thumright:

I am thinking of removing the A4 and TDI badges, but I am worried that I will:

a) will damage the paintwork (car is 5 years old now :crying:)
b) leave marks

Is there any easy way to avoid the above or should I just leave well alone? :uhm:

i used autoglym tar remover and in the end some white spirit to soften the glue, just make sure you wash the area well after

no marks on my paint and i've removed every badge including the wing badges

The way I do it is with a reel of cotton using six inches of cotton under tension between two hands to saw back and forth behind the badge to cut thru the tape holding it to the car. It’ll keep snapping but keep going with fresh lengths and it’ll get there eventually. I’d guess fishing line would also work.
Then fingernail to pick off remaining tape, maybe a bit of electrical contact cleaner to dissolve the glue then t cut and polish.
Only ever had one problem on wing badges and that was because the wings had previously been relaquerred with some of the tape still on the old paint - that meant a respray to both flanks.

I used fishing line. Didn't snap then. Removed glue with a rag soaked in petrol to soften it up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I am also looking at doing this. I watched this video and this is the way I'll be going about it I think.

Either heat up the glue with a hair dryer or boiling water from a kettle and use dental floss to remove it. Works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S.
I suppose you could use a steamer to heat the adhesive too. I'm thinking of taking mine off to have them painted Nardo Grey and reapplied to my black A6 Avant. Any thoughts on this? Or any advice regarding paint or perhaps other methods of colouring the badges? Cheers folks!
Quick afterthought, would I need to buy new badges to have painted or reuse the removed ones? I'm going to get the rings front and back done too. Should look class!

Last edited:
only thing is the original fixing tape/foam is destroyed during removal of the stuck on badges, so unless you have something equally as strong and cut to shape, new badges might be better to have painted

@88rsr good shout Matey. Think I'll just order some new badges up and paint them prior to fitting, or removing the old ones. Cheers for that Pal!