Removing Avant Roof Rails/Bars

nearly as much as the avant tailgate trim:mad:

Reactions: damfly27
Prob best to enlist the help of a nice warm day too...... just allows the plastic clips / attachments to be a little more flexible and reduces the risk of snapping / breaking anything :confused:

Prob best to enlist the help of a nice warm day too...... just allows the plastic clips / attachments to be a little more flexible and reduces the risk of snapping / breaking anything :confused:

Good idea, although I hope its warm soon then as I cant wait to get rid of the current milky chrome bars :)

That is the only way!

Some of the pillar trims require an alarming amount of force to remove!
You've done it yourself before? Don't suppose you're local to Rugby are you?;)

I've not replaced the roof bars (but know where the fixings are)

I had all the trims and head liner out when I swapped the grey one for a black S4 ones about a year ago! Never again!

Good time to upgrade to a black interior / headliner....... small subtle change that makes a huge difference.

Not a particularly 'difficult' job - just time consuming and fiddly in places.

Don't think I've ever heard of the roof bars going milky though?? Window trims yeah, but don't think I've ever seen the bars go as its a different kinda finished almost more of a brushed aluminium than chrome.

Plan on fitting these next weekend, does anyone have access to etka to advise me of torque setting for bolts that hold rials on?

May seem a bit anal but was thinking not tight enough and seals will leak and too tight same also.

Thanks
Steve

Reactions: CraigRE
Doubt anyone's interested but I couldn't wait to do this so got going today, put torque wrench on bolts and kept turning it up 1nm at a time until it bit so 11nm seems about right for these

Couldn't wait to fit bars by the way, I'm not excited about torque settings :p

Not on quite yet, I've been pulled away just at the point of unbolting them. Got to go to town with the wife to get pictures of my daughters first shoe fitting :jester:

Bet it'll be raining when we get back:(

I've not replaced the roof bars (but know where the fixings are)

I had all the trims and head liner out when I swapped the grey one for a black S4 ones about a year ago! Never again!

ESD1711 has got me thinking now... If I can locate a real good second hand one I'm seriously considering changing to black headliner seems half of the trim is already out. One bit that concerns me is the A pillar trim. The guide above doesn't show how to remove this, I'm assuming its just remove sun visor brackets and then it just pops off? Not a dashboard out job is it:eek:

just called my local audi dealer to get a quote for new black headliner & pillar trims etc. in black, not even going to bother telling you the price (one of the pillar trims is £177 alone!!, VAG have out done themselves with the pricing on these:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

ebay has had a few recently , a full set went not that long ago for £175.00 the lot in Unmarked cond.

yeah had a good look yesterday with no luck. thing is though I would also have to get lights, grab handles, sun visors & brackets too which seems unlikely for me to find in the time scale needed. Don't want to be driving around in my half built car for months:p

Just use this as your practice run for swopping to the replacement h/liner & trims............... The a pillar trims don't require the dash out, just sun visor, grab handle and a screw behind a little plastic trim plate, the base of the trim tucks down the side of the dash IIRC.

Keep your eye out for the black h/liner and trims, then when you get hold of them you'll be able to do the job in half the time, blessed with the knowledge and experience of how to get it all apart and back together again !

Did family stuff sabotage fitting those tasty refurbed rails then ?

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
Just use this as your practice run for swopping to the replacement h/liner & trims............... The a pillar trims don't require the dash out, just sun visor, grab handle and a screw behind a little plastic trim plate, the base of the trim tucks down the side of the dash IIRC.

Keep your eye out for the black h/liner and trims, then when you get hold of them you'll be able to do the job in half the time, blessed with the knowledge and experience of how to get it all apart and back together again !

Did family stuff sabotage fitting those tasty refurbed rails then ?

Thanks Gary.

Yes indeed it did, will have to wait until the weekend now :(

I know of a full set including the handles, lights etc, but it's up my way so it's if you want to travel for it? Although I travelled up to Scotland for mine, so you have no excuse ha ha.

The a pillars are a bit fiddly and sort of slide down into the dash and clip in. I found the biggest pita was the two little bits above the rear side windows.
You have to undo most of the srews/clips that hold the curtain airbags up so that you can move them out of the way to get to the screws for the small pieces.

I know of a full set including the handles, lights etc, but it's up my way so it's if you want to travel for it? Although I travelled up to Scotland for mine, so you have no excuse ha ha.

The a pillars are a bit fiddly and sort of slide down into the dash and clip in. I found the biggest pita was the two little bits above the rear side windows.
You have to undo most of the srews/clips that hold the curtain airbags up so that you can move them out of the way to get to the screws for the small pieces.

tell me more about this set you know please?

Already got the bits off above the rear windows, didn't have to remove any of the screws from curtain airbag to get them off though?

Edit: mines an Avant btw

Last edited:
Have you got the two tiny pieces that are inside the window off though? I didn't even know they were there until I started looking for a headliner.

This is an Avant mate, it's the one I got my rear bumper off. It's a B6, but it will fit as I have a B7 one in mine.

Do you want me to ask the guy how much he wants for it as I need to speak to him about some other bits I want?

The bits above the rear quarter windows? No don't have them out.

Yes if you wouldn't mind. I am very fussy though so would be looking for un marked headliners.

Defo best to get a complete set if you can - I hunted for ages, bought one with the lights and stuff missing, then a day later spotted a complete set with everything and then some for less than I paid for the first set.

Bought the second set, sold the first set :)

Its more of a fiddly job than a difficult one - take your time and it'll be fine. I spread mine over two days, one for removal and one for rebuild. Still maintain its one of the best mods you can do though - even though the vast majority of folk wont even notice you've done it

It was me that drove up and bought your spare one.

I stripped mine out the day before going up, then we just fitted the headliner up for me to drive home, then I fitted the rest when I got back.

From what I remember it was I really good condition, I'll get in touch with him this evening and let you know.

Finally found a few hours to bolt on black roof bars. Thanks again to orange225 for the top job of powder coating them

I was thinking that but was unsure if it would screw up the reception.

By the way if you don't mind me asking which courier did you use? Looking to sell my old bars but postage is ridiculous

Blimey that's what I was quoted, I thought you got it cheaper