Remove Steering Wheel Centre Bolt

amit87

Reaction score
HI guys.. before forum police say that I should have searched.. I have for 3days, read every post on relevant posts, tried other forums from other websites (but prefer audi-sport ;)) and still I am sooo confused...

So I have a 55 plate a3 sportback with MFSW and want to remove the wheel.. I have all the torx bits but am concerned that I dont have the correct tool to remove the centre nut.

Some say its a M12 spline..... some say M18 spline... I have even heard its a T55 socket....fairy dust....not very good with tools but I know M is for Metric so M12 and M18 are definitely different.

So basically... what tool will I need to remove the centre bolt to get the steering wheel off?

Thanks

PS before you try and link me to a thread... I have probably already read it :)... but as I said... I have read so many different things to do the same job.. hope this clears things up for people in the future too :). Thanks.

Cheers for that... but do you know the specific one at all? I the majority of tools, its just a T55 for example does not come in a normal set of torx heads etc. Also £25 is not cheap for a 5min job, I barely get paid that an hour let alone for 5mins lol.

Cheers for the quick reply.

Oh come on, assuming you're fitting a fbmfsw, £25 is a drop in the ocean for the mods we do & buying seperately isnt cheap either, just buy the set as you will use it again for sure.

Reactions: N8
call me dumb.. but I think you hinted at which one it is being 12mm or 14mm... lol sorry, late ssaturday night with the flu.. brains off... Thanks again NHN.

well I need a new socket set... so I guess this is a good excuse to go and buy a good set lol.

I know but every penny counts mate. Even if I was a billionaire, I would still be tight and give the money I saved being tight to charity :).

There are various ones that can be used, but M12 is the correct spline you need.

Can be bought from a car auto spares shops for about a fiver.

Oh come on, assuming you're fitting a fbmfsw, £25 is a drop in the ocean for the mods we do & buying seperately isnt cheap either, just buy the set as you will use it again for sure.

sulu.gif

lol thanks guys, I think I will buy a M12 and what for a good deal for the full socket set (...sorry im indian, in my blood to be cheap haha).

Will have pictures of my A3 up soon once the weather picks up and I can get it washed.. its pretty standard but I think its good looking for standard.

Again thanks. hopefully this will clear things up for people in the future too.

Bit of tool geekery here:

The correct name for these bits are "Triple Square" or "XZN"

put "XZN" into eBay, or "XZN bits" into google and you will see the correct bits.

"Spline" is a generic term, and can potentially confusingly lead to errors on the number of points, and the angles of the points on the bit.

XZN is used widely by German motor manufacturers for production ease, plus the ability to torque the fasteners to high numbers.

More geekery: Although both have 12 points, XZN, or Triple Square, is not the same as Double-Hex. They may look the same on first glance, but the angles of the "points" are different, and can lead to damage by "camming-out". Draw two hex's, and three square's if you're curious enough lol.

You can use a normal 12 point socket on male double-hex fasteners :)

/geek

(Avoid me at parties)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmybuckrogers
think I might stand with you at parties... interesting, this is where I got confused as its referred to as different tools, well now I know its just "nick names" haha.

Bit of tool geekery here:

The correct name for these bits are "Triple Square" or "XZN"

put "XZN" into eBay, or "XZN bits" into google and you will see the correct bits.

"Spline" is a generic term, and can potentially confusingly lead to errors on the number of points, and the angles of the points on the bit.

XZN is used widely by German motor manufacturers for production ease, plus the ability to torque the fasteners to high numbers.

More geekery: Although both have 12 points, XZN, or Triple Square, is not the same as Double-Hex. They may look the same on first glance, but the angles of the "points" are different, and can lead to damage by "camming-out". Draw two hex's, and three square's if you're curious enough lol.

You can use a normal 12 point socket on male double-hex fasteners :)

/geek

(Avoid me at parties)