Removal of wing mirror glass

karl7900

Reaction score
Bar using a hammer, is this easy enough. I'm assuming they unclip with a bit of a tug but want to check before I try. The heating elements in mine have packed up.

Cheers, Karl.

Yeah i dismanted mine a while ago but can't remember how? but it's quite straight forward.

Really easy to do mate.

TILT YOUR MIRROR UPWARDS AS FAR AS IT GOES.

put your fingers in the gap between the mirror and the mirror casing and pull it off.

try spreading the pressure by using 4 fingers from each hand as you'll snap the glass if you pull too sharply or put too much pressure on one point.

I done mine a couple of weeks ago when I changed my mirror cases, I found once I got the bottom of the mirror off the rest just pulled staright off without any drama.

Good luck, just bear in mind to spread the weight as they are fragile.

Cheers lads. I will give this a bash ( though hopefully not literally lol) during the week. Will see if I can make up a "how too" while I,m at it.

Thanks again, Karl.

Do any of you guys know where to purchase "mat silver" colored side mirror caps for the '04 A6 mirrors?

Just thought I'd let you all know I was able to remove my side mirror glass however, the plastic covers themselves were held in place by a rivet into the plastic! I was not able to remove them without breaking the covers...:puke2:

So...I painted them "aluminum look" while they were still on the car.:redface: I was not able to locate any "aluminum" mirror covers for my '04 A6 that did not cost $600 USD!:wtf:

They turned out quite well actually....I matched the paint color up to a S6 in the Audi dealership parking lot...and its very close. So...for $5 worth of "aluminum silver" spray paint...and a few hours of taping off practically my entire car....the task has been completed.:blow:

well done buddy, good to see someone keeping their hard earned cash rather than lining the pockets of the stealers.