Remote start

ian.f

Reaction score
Hi Forum,
Winter’s here! Just wondering if there’s a remote start option for my B9?
I’ve checked menus and I can’t see anything.
Possible retrofit?
Thanks!!

To pre-heat the cabin, there is a system for that, if not fitted, I'm sure I could.

You can't legally yet remote start a fossil fuelled engine in the uk unless it is parked off road and not on the highway. There are, however, kits you can purchase..
"Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’. It states that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while the vehicle is stationary on a public road."

However I believe the government is looking at the issue of vehicles left idling and it may become illegal to have the engine running when stationary even when a driver is sat in it for any length of time..

Current remote start systems for the MLBevoII platform require one of your keys to be hidden within the vehicle in order to allow the hardware to work with the vehicles immobiliser. If you are happy with sacrificing a key then a remote start system can be installed from around £500.00. If you want to keep both keys then you would need to purchase a 3rd key to “hide” in the vehicle, adding approx £300 to that price.

I have coded my vehicle to allow central locking with the engine running. Need to go to the car, start it, lock it and then walk away but much cheaper and indeed safer security wise than installing third party kit.

Reactions: Bells
There’s this one which you can have fitted or plug and play depending how confident you are installing

https://remotestarts.co.uk

As DJAlix says does need a key to be hidden in the car. Watch the videos as there is an engine cut out to prevent someone smashing window and trying to drive off etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't legally yet remote start a fossil fuelled engine in the uk unless it is parked off road and not on the highway. There are, however, kits you can purchase..
"Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’. It states that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while the vehicle is stationary on a public road."

However I believe the government is looking at the issue of vehicles left idling and it may become illegal to have the engine running when stationary even when a driver is sat in it for any length of time..
Don’t know how the Government would manage to bring a new law like that in and in any case it’d be unenforceable, police ticketing people for having their car running whilst waiting at a train line etc. People take long enough to set off at a green light with their engine on nevermind a car that doesn’t have stop start and having to manually turn the engine on :tearsofjoy:

Hi Forum,
Winter’s here! Just wondering if there’s a remote start option for my B9?
I’ve checked menus and I can’t see anything.
Possible retrofit?
Thanks!!
There’s aftermarket kits now available, I’ve seen a few videos online of Mat Watson (from Carwow) advertising for some company. I’ve never looked into it that much though, luckily I’ve got a gated drive so if it’s iced up I usually just put my engine on and go back inside for 5/10 mins while it does it’s thing :sweatsmile:

I think some volvo's have the ability to be remotely started 'from the factory' - I did wonder how that complied with the highway code. Guess its just for use on private property...

Reactions: cuke2u
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I just saw this thread and thought I’d add my twopenneth. I actually have the Remotestart system installed on my car, (its my second one, first one i had on my 2012 B8 A4, now i have 2018 B9 A4, the B8 and B9 have different wiring looms), and I have the long range remote/phone app with it. Personally, it’s easily one of the best mods I’ve ever done to my vehicles, no more getting into a cold frosty car with this installed, and tbh, its not hard to install yourself. Remotestart.co.uk you should check them out.