Remapping?

You have an old car. It will be likely there will be a few things not working ideally on it. Some will likely prevent (good) remappers from working with your car. The bad will remap and you'll hit issues.

So you need to take responsibility for those checks yourself, and go prepared, or visit someone who does some of those checks for you. Rolling road (to me) is less important than the checking.

Some will do the checking and say - sorry go away and fix it. Some may be able to fix it as they are garages also.
I would seek someone local to be able to deal with all of the above without the need for >1 long distance journey.

Not entirely true' we also don't have a rolling road as of yet due to purchase costs, to be honest most people if not nearly all just use them to show the results of the tune, unless you doing some thing big powered etc then they will use an emulator , we are North East based ' Peterlee co' Durham and could offer our services.

"Not entirely true" in regards to what? Didn't say it couldn't be done, I said I wouldn't go near a tuner without a rolling road and that is true.

Of course it can be done but is it ideal? Not in my opinion no.

Maybe tuners you know use rolling roads just to show figures but not the ones I know.

Not entirely true' we also don't have a rolling road as of yet due to purchase costs, to be honest most people if not nearly all just use them to show the results of the tune, unless you doing some thing big powered etc then they will use an emulator , we are North East based ' Peterlee co' Durham and could offer our services.

Thorough pre-checks inc smoke test, fault code checking and assuming it passes those tests ok, an initial before set of dyno runs whilst data logging to see "what the engines" doing, be that good or bad.. and only then, would the custom mapping begin. The dyno, is a tool. Its measuring and data logging also, externally, as well as vcds logging during the runs so the tune can be dialed in to the hardware. Not just doing a before and after one flash map.

Not many are equipped to do Emulated real time mapping. Its choice as to emulate and the additional setup time that takes vs flashing and evolving a code after doing repeat runs, until you are satisfied its as good as it can be and safe for the motor.

Road tests and logging are better than nothing, but you cant beat having a dyno to be able to give the car 150mph full blast runs, whilst strapped down, safely and being logged in a nice controlled environment. Dynos are expensive... I know, but when you get into the bigger power cars, there's no "safe and sensible" way to explore the power on the public road.

Its incredulous how few outfits have smoke leak test machines.. I would be lost without mine. Its not like these engines dont spring leaks is it - lol

Reactions: derek84, Mrharris2 and scotty_24
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/badger-5.220185/

I was known as Artsa back then...

Now Clart... >.<
I forgot to add...
Badger 5 picked up on my recent cam belt change was wrong (Before Bill mapped it), out by a tooth!!!
So I had to get that fixed by the goons that changed my cam belt before Bill and Tufftey Mapped it...
And I had loads of leaks on the smoke test that were corrected on the day of mapping :)
Hence I only take my S3 to Badger 5 now...
You get what you pay for...

Reactions: GeorgieS3
To play the advocate of the devil, purely to offer an alternate view... so if you get what you pay for, why did you take your car to goons who clearly were cheap as chips as they didn't do a good job? Surely you should go with someone who is expensive. Or is it perhaps not quite so clear as that.... There are plenty of over priced mappers out there. And a fair few offering a good service at prices no doubt at prices cheaper than Badger.I hear good things about many offering maps including Badger so that is in no way to offer a view on their work / cost of. More to offer a view on the oft used 'you get what you pay for' ditty. As we know tis a little bit more advanced in the old thinking department than just that.

To play the advocate of the devil, purely to offer an alternate view... so if you get what you pay for, why did you take your car to goons who clearly were cheap as chips as they didn't do a good job? Surely you should go with someone who is expensive. Or is it perhaps not quite so clear as that.... There are plenty of over priced mappers out there. And a fair few offering a good service at prices no doubt at prices cheaper than Badger.I hear good things about many offering maps including Badger so that is in no way to offer a view on their work / cost of. More to offer a view on the oft used 'you get what you pay for' ditty. As we know tis a little bit more advanced in the old thinking department than just that.

Price is no guarantee of quality
Reputation is the better marque

Reactions: derek84 and mister.c.
I'm having to stop myself from commenting here' thought seat Cupar. Net was bad with nikki's fan club, just walked straight into bills, no disrespect' and a serious question for bill without been funny and a ****, how long have you been mapping, and how long have you had your rolling road, just to prove a point to a lot who have commented on this thread about needing a dyno

Just to add cheapest isn't always best' but I'm lucky enough to be in a position to have basically no over heads' not even rent or mortgage on the unit so I can offer a very competitive price,

Reactions: mister.c.
smoke tests, pre map logging and a general health check is a pre-requisite on anything with a 1,8t in it IMO... old car, old engine, many variations of modifications and unknown replacement parts means that you have to be aware of the cars current condition more so than the more modern/newer cars that are less likely to have suffered over the years and have less mods on them...

A 1.8t that doesn't need a little remedial work prior to mapping is an exception rather than a rule... spilt pipes, low reading or pattern part MAF sensors, low octane fuel and worn out engines are the norm...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JonnyDerv
I'm having to stop myself from commenting here' thought seat Cupar. Net was bad with nikki's fan club, just walked straight into bills, no disrespect' and a serious question for bill without been funny and a ****, how long have you been mapping, and how long have you had your rolling road, just to prove a point to a lot who have commented on this thread about needing a dyno

i've been mapping since 1997... own stuff, dta originally.
badger5 i started in 2000, with throttle bodies for 16v vw's developed with jenvey dynamics.
then the 1.8t arrived which i fell in love with in 2001.. bought badgerwagen, was revo's 3rd UK dealer way back when port flashing was "new"...
I got frustrated with being supplied maps by assorted "mappers" without me being able to correct them to the vehicles... so got into the me7.. Not a process I enjoyed. Coming from standalone ecu's me7 was just plain head spin overly complicated.. Several years on, it clicked, and better authoring tools purchased, emulator also and combined with the builds we do in house, it brings everthing under one roof. My control. Not subservient to anyone else maps. Do what I want, how I want.

Dyno wise, late naughties, we were doing a big turbo build on a polo 1.8t, t3/t4 57 trim.. Road logging and exchanging files with a friend who was authoring the maps for me.. Logistically road logging it, and altering map based on those logs was a pia... and being 450bhp in fwd it was'nt safe to road log.. That car made my mind up to find the ££ to buy a dyno so I can do the power runs in a safe and controlled environment. I hired a dyno when i needed to before hand, and thats just adding costs and delays to the whole process.

Much of what we build are in the stroker, gt35 range now with 550+bhp being common.. Road logging has no place imho in cars with that level of performance. road tests are valid but major wot stuff is reserved for the dyno, firmly strapped down and data logged comprehensively.

Dyno gives the full picture which logging on the road simply cant. More power, where, optimise the torque spread seeing the actual measured output..

Reactions: Broken Byzan

Once bitten twice as shy...
I trusted the guys who changed my cam belt as they look after all our work vehicles, good price for a simple job but they fecked it up...
Hence my car only goes to Bills now...