Remapping Recommendations for 2.0TDi PD 170 BMN Engine

Steve-B

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2007 Audi A3 2.0 tdi pd 170 with engine code BMN and I'd like to get it remapped.
After having a quick read through some info from various places online, it looks like you have to be a bit careful when remapping these particular engines, can anybody with greater knowledge than me confirm this?
From what I can tell, you can't just flash a new map to the ecu and be done with it, there should also be some work done through vcds either whilst driving or on a rolling road.

Are there any experts on these engines on the forum that could give me some advice and does anybody have any recommendations on where I could take the car to get the remap done properly?
I live in south oxfordshire so ideally I don't want to be driving 100's of miles if I can help it.
The car is completely standard if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help

Still not got the remap done but looking into it again now, surprised nobody else had any experience of remapping this engine

Anybody got anything to add?

Still not got the remap done but looking into it again now, surprised nobody else had any experience of remapping this engine

Anybody got anything to add?

What do you want to know?

They run simos PPD ECU and injectors - total pain to tune right, but I've done a few now.
Your car is at the age whereby the DPF may well be end of life.
Injectors on these cars use to go faulty and VAG done a recall on them a few years ago so might be worth checking.

With DPF off, EGR off you can expect around 210hp

Cheers
Bobby

Hi Bobby, thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the information.
I've just called Audi to ask about the recall, the campaign number for it was 23K1 and luckily our car was recalled in 2012 before we owned it.

Is there any way of checking the current state of the DPF? Is that something that can be done through VCDS? I assume we could get it professionally cleaned out if its getting full.
There's also currently a small issue with the car where it has a lumpy idle and the exhaust gases absolutely stink. From what I found out last night, this could possibly point to oil contamination into the fuel, either through faulty injector seals or the tandem pump, so I need to check that out too. I've not taken the EGR off to check what state that is in but I will do.

With regards to the remap, I was just a bit concerned and you have said yourself that they are a pain to tune. In simple terms, are you able to explain why that is compared to other types of diesel engine? Do you carry out remaps professionally? Am I right in thinking that the remap needs to be done in conjunction with monitoring the vehicle through VCDS whilst it is driving?

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,
DPF check
In vcds look for a label called delta pressure or maybe the label is named differently I don't recall.
Log again RPM in 3rd gear from 1500 to 4k rpm and post the log or email it to me
BobbySinghRacing@outlook.com
If the pressure is high it means the filter is end off life or maybe a regen is required.
The smell might be regen which kind of imply's the CAT is no longer working right as there should be no smell from regen.

Tuning
Yes I can do it, started off a hobby to be honest and just doing my own cars but I've invested a lot of money in tools now. I don't do while you wait, its not a flash and dash type of service (plenty out there for that market).
What is it a pain - well when you do mostly do bosch sw all others are more painful.

Cheers

I used a Superchip Blue Finn handset and flashed the map myself, claims to give around 210bhp and its completely transformed the car to be honest. Been running it for a couple of years with absolutely no issues.

I used a Superchip Blue Finn handset and flashed the map myself, claims to give around 210bhp and its completely transformed the car to be honest. Been running it for a couple of years with absolutely no issues.
Still running this map? does it have disabled dpf and egr? also any chance to receive the file from you? I have a kess v2 to flash it. PS PD170 BMN. Thanks