Remapping 2008 BLS 1.9TDI DPF- bad idea?

turtlebreath

Reaction score
After all the conrod horror stories I've read about the BXE/BLS tdi's, I am wary of remapping.
It's an 2008 with DPF that has done 105000km (6k during my ownership) and followed every service.
It has barely used any oil and I haven't had to top up all year, which seems strange.
I regularly do Italian tuneups to clear the DPF.
I am changing the oil and filter over Christmas.
However, it seems like most of the failures happen below 80k km. The remap is from a reputable tuning shop and will add 24 horsepower. Is this a bad idea? I probably should save my £400 towards a sportier car, but it is tempting as I love the car and have put much work into it (non-performance related).
I don't drive it hard, but would like more pop when overtaking.
Any input is appreciated.

You could be just one of the lucky ones, pushing your luck too far?

Reactions: turtlebreath and Nessy
My bxe died at 180k km, dont push ur luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: turtlebreath
Thanks for your input! I'm swapping my tail lights for leds and selling it off this spring for a sportier quattro. With some good detailing, I'll hopefully get closer to what I paid for it.

After all the conrod horror stories I've read about the BXE/BLS tdi's, I am wary of remapping.
It's an 2008 with DPF that has done 105000km (6k during my ownership) and followed every service.
It has barely used any oil and I haven't had to top up all year, which seems strange.
I regularly do Italian tuneups to clear the DPF.
I am changing the oil and filter over Christmas.
However, it seems like most of the failures happen below 80k km. The remap is from a reputable tuning shop and will add 24 horsepower. Is this a bad idea? I probably should save my £400 towards a sportier car, but it is tempting as I love the car and have put much work into it (non-performance related).
I don't drive it hard, but would like more pop when overtaking.
Any input is appreciated.

Hi there I know the BXE and BLS ENGINE CODES HAVE HAD PROBLEMS but from what I have read it’s more the BXE engine code but I also had this engine code in my Passat b6 this had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and 100,000 miles when I bought it very reliable I serviced it myself every 6k miles never missed a beat. Was completely stock though. Very good on fuel I would just leave it stock.

Hi there I know the BXE and BLS ENGINE CODES HAVE HAD PROBLEMS but from what I have read it’s more the BXE engine code but I also had this engine code in my Passat b6 this had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and 100,000 miles when I bought it very reliable I serviced it myself every 6k miles never missed a beat. Was completely stock though. Very good on fuel I would just leave it stock.
Regular oil changes would have helped its longevity, buts it’s still a ticking time bomb.
I also don’t see the worth in changing the rear lights if selling the car
A. You won’t sell it for more than it’s worth now.
B. 99.9 % of buyers won’t notice or care that they are leds.

Regular oil changes would have helped its longevity, buts it’s still a ticking time bomb.
I also don’t see the worth in changing the rear lights if selling the car
A. You won’t sell it for more than it’s worth now.
B. 99.9 % of buyers won’t notice or care that they are leds.
A. Yes, I will. I bought the lights on black friday for next to nothing. It takes 10 years off the car's appearance and it's dark 70% of the year here. People here are always asking about light packages when they are browsing cars.
A black audi with bi-xenon and led rear lights is like a DB-9 in my neck of the woods.
New cars are insanely expensive here.

A. Yes, I will. I bought the lights on black friday for next to nothing. It takes 10 years off the car's appearance and it's dark 70% of the year here. People here are always asking about light packages when they are browsing cars.
A black audi with bi-xenon and led rear lights is like a DB-9 in my neck of the woods.
New cars are insanely expensive here.
Everything is expensive in your country :)

30hp gain would not affect the engine even with active DPF. No worries for 0,1Bar of boost requied for this result.
Also, check the stock power on dyno, i had 3 cars which measured 112-115 and 117Hp with active DPF. One of them was VW Caddy MK3 BLS my2007.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilSmurph and turtlebreath