Remap & Power gains, A3 8P 2.0TDi

BradHatton

Reaction score
Hi all,

I drive an A3 8P 2.0TDi, i'm happy with the power, but i want more. I want to see good gains, i want at least 200BHP & 300LBS/FT, I have looked at Stage 1 maps from GNJ i think they're called, the Shark software, but i'm looking at around 180BHP which is still a nice gain, but i think i may want more.

Can anyone suggest or recommend me a good map, or other ways in which i can get similar gains?
IE, Intercoolers, downpipes etc.

What do you propose to do with all this extra power?

At last Brad you've thought of an upgrade that is easily done.:thumbsup:
180 is easily achievable with stage 1. More than that, other parts will wear out quicker than usual. If you can get a custom remap with your existing standard set up that would be even better, clutch power handling and turbo temperature is then taken in to consideration. Jabbasport is near Peterborough and are the masters at this sort of tuning, I've had a few maps from them in the past and can highly recommend them. Of course costs a bit more than the standard flashed maps but you get what you pay for, as always.

I've recently ordered a Shark STS for my remap. Initially I was toying with using a Bluefin but the feedback has been pretty hit & miss on the TDI's, & so far I've not heard a bad word said about Shark. Add in the fact that there was a promotion on & I managed to get the STS unit for free, it was a no-brainer it worked out about £150 less than the Bluefin.

I've only gone for a stage 1 as my DPF issues have been resolved & frankly for the extra money it costs to remove it, I'd rather lose a few horses & keep a smoke-free rear end! I'm expecting close to 200bhp from the map & apparently they're limited to that amount so as not to screw the DPF. If you're only getting 180bhp from a map there's something wrong, a lot of standard cars aren't far off that from the factory (the PD170 engine was underrated power-wise).

RS Tuning mapped my old 8P1 DSG A3, popped the turbo 5K later running a indicated (by rolling road) 190.1BHP.

There is no way in this earth you can get a standard 2.0L TDI PD 140 (assuming you have the 140 and not the 170) to run 200 BHP off a remap alone. You'd need to go hybrid turbo, the turbo won't last 500 mile never mind 5000 lad.

Reactions: Ash187
RS Tuning mapped my old 8P1 DSG A3, popped the turbo 5K later running a indicated (by rolling road) 190.1BHP.

There is no way in this earth you can get a standard 2.0L TDI PD 140 (assuming you have the 140 and not the 170) to run 200 BHP off a remap alone. You'd need to go hybrid turbo, the turbo won't last 500 mile never mind 5000 lad.

Good point, I though he was talking about a 170 from the figures quoted.

200HP is potentially possible without a hybrid turbo. However, you need to spend money on hardware and try it on various rolling roads, one will eventually claim it's 200.

When I had the custom map done, they said it could give just over 200 if I wanted bragging rights. I settled for lower power but a more linear response. The original turbo has done 115k, the last 45k has been with the current map. Before then it had standard Revo map. They claim over 180, but it was very peaky.

A better measure is the relative output on the same rolling road, with the hardware changes on a standard Audi map it was 157Hp and 283FtLbs @ 2238, now 197Hp and 323FtLbs @ 2156.

You need a hybrid to take you over the 200bhp Mark, you are welcome to come out in my Hybrid with Shark software as I'm a dealer also. Cheers.

Agreed with some comments in this thread. Having a high BHP for bragging rights is one thing, but if it all comes in one lump then its useless. A lower power, linear map will be so much more enjoyable to drive.

We're singing from the same hymn sheet bluefox. Over 85% of the torque is available from 1900 to just over 3000rpm. There's no need to thrash the car, just keep it in that range for effortless acceleration and the turbo will last.