Remap - custom or generic?

ImS3ola

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting my car remapped and wondered what the pros and cons of these two types of remap are.

Taking the AMD custom remap and generic AMD One Click as examples, does the custom remap give:

1) more bhp and torque

2) a smoother power delivery

3) greater efficiency in terms of mpg

the OneClick has the big advantage for me that it can be removed easily when the car goes to the dealer/has a warranty claim, and come resale time.

When AMD say they tailor the custom remap to your car, what exactly does this mean and what do they exactly do. Surely most 225 1.8T engines are the same and the custom remap is nearly identical the the OneClick in most respects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Is one-click even available? If it is, I'll be going for it.

I have the revo 5 hr trial at the moment, but it's giving boost/lag problems, so I'll be looking elsewhere for the full code.

Hi i dont have a S3 ut i have a A4 TQS and it deffinatly made a difference. It may sound stupid but my car is totally different to drive. It is now so much fun!! I took it for a blast before i paid Jim at Star Performance and it was brilliant!! Sorry i am a bit drunk just now but hey my car is now 223BHP and feels sooooo much smoother and pulls a lot better the fuel consumtion seems unaffected but i expect it to use a little bit more optimax.
I would certainly recommend a remap makes the world of difference, reminds me a bit of when i borrow my mates Subaru Turbo.

Anway this is my view so go for, it but its your cash.

ImS3omla- The power difference is VERY noticable. It feels loads more powerful and just seems much more eager, BUT if I can't resolve the MASSIVE lag/ power pull back issure I have with the trial now, I'll deffo not be getting full revo.

I had revo on my Ibiza cupra and it was superb, but on the S3 it feels totally different and nowhere near as good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather go for revo over one-click if it's obd port remap your after.If your not bothered MTM,Jabba,AMD.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would disagree after having tested revo's 5 hr trial.
Revo comes in very strong at low revs, whereas I'm told amd is a lot more progressive, and shouldn't give the same lag problems I'm experiencing now.

Although the revo I had on my Ibiza, I was very happy with, I think I'll be going with amd one-click on my S3

Garth - could be a possibility that the Revo trial has highlighted a problem with the car, rather than the software causing the lag.
Just a thought.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that the wrong code was uploaded to the ECU? i.e for a different variant S3?

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
No, not possible with the revo software. They read the ecu number and load the corresponding code. The wrong code cannot be loaded.

Imola,

In my opinion the custom map is only worth while if you have a number of mods to take into account, otherwise a generic map is more than adeqaute. The difference between engines and the power increase from a custom over a generic is minimal and nothing you'll be able to notice when driving.

I'm more than happy with my generic and can safely say that if you were to drive in my car you would think that it was a custom map...it just matches the car so well.

Personally don't think much of AMD but there's a few on here that rate them.

Hi all
I would not touch AMD but i can say that when i had the REVO trial my car was much better to drive in traffic, it was so much better and was a better more smoother drive after the trial too,it had been to the dealers to sort problems and issues which had not been resolved by the dealer but before the trial software was loaded my ECU locked up, and was fixed by the Revo guys the same day and better service than i previously recieved from Amd,the problem you have may have allways been there but the trial software has highlighted it.
Cheers "Bingo"

Generic maps will rarely yield the same power as a custom set-up. I don't think there will be a huge difference but there will be a difference. Also id rather have a pre-map RR session to make sure the car is ok. The idea of uploading a code in a pub car park scares me a little.

Im going to Jabba for my re-map in march when i get some time off. Their claims may be optomistic but i've used them before and they were superb.

QST is too far for me to travel and £1000 for a re-map? forget it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all
I would not touch AMD but i can say that when i had the REVO trial my car was much better to drive in traffic, it was so much better and was a better more smoother drive after the trial too,it had been to the dealers to sort problems and issues which had not been resolved by the dealer but before the trial software was loaded my ECU locked up, and was fixed by the Revo guys the same day and better service than i previously recieved from Amd,the problem you have may have allways been there but the trial software has highlighted it.
Cheers "Bingo"

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true. My car has now returned to standard and the problem has gone, but to be sure I did some logging on my S3 and my brother's brand new TT 225 and the graphs were almost identical, so it looks like a 'feature' of the engine.
Here is the graph of air flow at the MAF:
www.cern.ch/gfred/Audi/AirFlow.gif
This shows a drop off in air flow at just below 3000rpm (S3 and TT are the same).
It looks as though the extra boost on the revo code just accentuates the drop in air-flow and hence power.

Graph of requested v actual boost pressure is here:
www.cern.ch/gfred/Audi/Boost.gif

The reason for a drop in both before 6000 rpm is that I ran out of road! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola,

In my opinion the custom map is only worth while if you have a number of mods to take into account, otherwise a generic map is more than adeqaute. The difference between engines and the power increase from a custom over a generic is minimal and nothing you'll be able to notice when driving.

I'm more than happy with my generic and can safely say that if you were to drive in my car you would think that it was a custom map...it just matches the car so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words...

I've had off the shelf maps from AmD and APR on 2 former Audis (1.8T and 2.7T) and for an otherwise standard car the generic maps work really well.

What is interesting though is what you can do if you customise a map for driveability. Most tuners will try to extract maximum power / torque figures within a safe limit, but on the 1.8T engine this can make for an engine that is flat at the top end.

Jim at Star Performance is doing some proper custom maps which focus on real driveability. By limiting boost at low rpm you sacrafice a little torque, but on a standard car the pickup and feel of the car as boost builds across the rev range is excellent, and IMO much better than the generic APR, AmD, REVO maps that are currently available. By keeping the turbo cooler at low rpm, you can still run decent top end power figures too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's worth thinking about.

Re AmD "Custom" and AmD One Click - the custom map is less custom that you would think in my experience - pretty much off the shelf (and to be honest there is no reason why it shouldn't be on an otherwise standard car). The one click adds features and convenience - so would get my vote...

Hi Garth,

If it helps here is a log from my S3 running REVO
REVO settings are High Boost 6 Timing 4 on Optimax and Millers logged with VAGCOM in March of last year, 4th gear pull from idle to redline

This shows requested boost and actual boost

On AMDs RR in Feb 04 my car gave 260 bhp and 300 lb/ft on the same settings

cant seem to add a link..oh well!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Garth,

If it helps here is a log from my S3 running REVO
REVO settings are High Boost 6 Timing 4 on Optimax and Millers logged with VAGCOM in March of last year, 4th gear pull from idle to redline

This shows requested boost and actual boost

On AMDs RR in Feb 04 my car gave 260 bhp and 300 lb/ft on the same settings

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be useful yes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you can't link, can you email it?
garth.fred@btopenworld.com
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Dave,

I used to be able to do it but am a bit stuck on the new BBS. I can only see an image link which allows a URL but the pic is on my PC.

When you edit your post, it says you can add a file but I cant see how to so this? "You may attach a file to this post while editing"

anyway, the link is here on RS246:

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=44741

Dunc

Barry ,i know your not keen on qst,but a standard generic mtm chip where qst has nothing to do with tuning is surely ok.in RR shoot-outs over the years the mtm chipped s3's/tt's have always performed well.

Whats up with QST, are they bad?

I spoke to one guy on the phone and he was a little snooty/snotty!

Okay, he was an arrogant **** but he must get sick of people enquiring about re-map characteristics etc.

Im still in a state of shock following prices £1000 for 25hp? (225 -250) i think not!

[ QUOTE ]
But the MTM chip is 55% more expensive than AMD, is this justified?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply... No