Remap and warranty

m99gac

Reaction score
If I were to get my A4 1.8 tfsi 120bhp remapped to 230 does it invalidate my warranty??

Would imagine any of the drive parts. They would see it as you are putting a lot more stress on components only designed for a certain amount

I'm always amazed when people post opinions when the OP is after fact. DieselJake - that's just misleading.:no:

Chipping you car makes no difference to the warranty BUT (and it's a big but) .... if you have an issue and Audi can point the finger at your mod then obviously that issue won't be resolved under warranty. This is covered under EU Law and seems fair to me.

Of course it does get a little grey when it comes to things like the drive train. If you have issues and the cars putting out more power than designed then they could claim (possibly correctly) that the increase in power has caused or accelerated the issue.

almost doubling your HP on a remap? :-/ who's it by?

I'm always amazed when people post opinions when the OP is after fact. DieselJake - that's just misleading.:no:

Chipping you car makes no difference to the warranty BUT (and it's a big but) .... if you have an issue and Audi can point the finger at your mod then obviously that issue won't be resolved under warranty. This is covered under EU Law and seems fair to me.

Of course it does get a little grey when it comes to things like the drive train. If you have issues and the cars putting out more power than designed then they could claim (possibly correctly) that the increase in power has caused or accelerated the issue.
Fact not opinion; remaps invalidate the warranty. Audi will not cover repairs if a car has been remapped.

The remap is by Pendle Performance and brings it to 225 bhp which I think is what the Leon cupra R was with a similar 1.8t engine.

I had asked the salesman for clarification and came back from Audi HQ that if the company does the remap covers the ecu then Audi warranty would cover the rest. Which I now now in writing

The rest being anything unrelated to the remap... which doesn't include much engine-wise, as scoTTy said if you have issues that Audi claim are related they won't cover them.

frankly can't believe a remap would give that much extra performance.

As far as I am made aware the 120bhp is the 170 de tuned therefor your are in fact tuning the 170 to 235

The figures they quote for the remap of the 170 are identical to that of the 120 as I mentioned before this engine has been capable if 225bhp sine about 2002 in the Leon Cupra R.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

that sounds a bit more sensible, though why they'd want to choke off an engine to the tune of 50Hp in the first place, isn't!

Fact not opinion; remaps invalidate the warranty. Audi will not cover repairs if a car has been remapped.

The rest being anything unrelated to the remap... which doesn't include much engine-wise, as scoTTy said if you have issues that Audi claim are related they won't cover them.

You seem to disagree with me and then agree with me? I'm confused.

Modding a car does NOT void your warranty. It may impact parts of it as I explained above but telling someone it invalidates their warranty is simply incorrect. EU Law doesn't allow them to. I it did them someone could have a wiper motor fail and since they remapped then the suggestion is their warranty it null and void. It's not.

I used to talk to Audi many times a week as I did the liason between an owners club and Audi UK.

I covered this many MANY times.

One of the emails I've found from the A3 and TT Product Manager at the time said :

"All power enhancements are excluded from the Audi warranty system. In fact any item not approved by Audi UK has the same warranty disclaimer; the official terminology is 'any non approved item will not be covered by audi warranty or any part affected by its fitment'

Under trading standards and retail legislation any centre supplying a non approved item should inform the customer in writing on the invoice that a) it has been requested by the customer and b) the implications on the factory warranty"

It does not say your warranty is invalid.

frankly can't believe a remap would give that much extra performance.

that sounds a bit more sensible, though why they'd want to choke off an engine to the tune of 50Hp in the first place, isn't!

A remap can make a massive difference. They're not always about peak numbers but can be just about the power delivery. e.g. I had my motorbike done recently. They found 7bhp (which is nice) but the main thing was the much improved power delivery.

I've had multiple maps on Audi's and the difference is incredible. I once had a really peaking MTM map which felt fast due to the big initial boost but then it faded. I preferred the APR which was much smoother. It had a linear acceleration and since humans can only detect changes in acceleration rather than acceleration it didn't feel as fast but it was. It depends what you want out of a map. They're not all the same and the best number doesn't mean it's the best map. e.g. would you prefer a map that offer 250bhp over a 500rpm range or one that made 245bhp over a 5000rpm range? I know what I'd have and what would be faster. It wouldn't have the same pub bragging rights thought ;)

With regards why there's so much more to get out of stock engines : many reasons and some of it is purely for market separation i.e. they try to stop their models treading on the toes of other ones. Other reasons include err on the side of caution because people don't always follow the servicing schedules, people don't have mechanical sympathy, don't use good fuel, don't warm up/cool their cars down etc etc. They don't want their cars seen on the side of the road so they exercise some caution. If you follow the sensible rules they you can unleash the extra power without much risk assumming it's tuned by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm with you on this scoTTy. Here in Aberdeen there was a lad with an RS3 that had it remapped and the S-Tronic box and ECU then failed. Audi refused to pay for a new ECU because it was clear that it had been played with but replaced the transmission as they couldn't prove beyond doubt that the map had caused the damage.

A remap can make a massive difference. They're not always about peak numbers but can be just about the power delivery. e.g. I had my motorbike done recently. They found 7bhp (which is nice) but the main thing was the much improved power delivery.

well, yeah, but we had this debate on the various Revo remap threads. as i said, 120HP would seem ludicrous to me from a map, but hearing the engine's already choked off and they're in effect negating that first makes the figures a lot more believeable to me.

if i've got the dosh next year i'd love to get a map. the Revo sounded canny but i think it would be better to get one for my car rather than an off-the-shelf map.

"All power enhancements are excluded from the Audi warranty system. In fact any item not approved by Audi UK has the same warranty disclaimer; the official terminology is 'any non approved item will not be covered by audi warranty or any part affected by its fitment'

Under trading standards and retail legislation any centre supplying a non approved item should inform the customer in writing on the invoice that a) it has been requested by the customer and b) the implications on the factory warranty"

It does not say your warranty is invalid.
This is where your confused, non approved items and items affected by it's fitment aka remap and all things related. Regardless of what Audi dealers will or won't cover after it's been mapped the fact is they should not cover items invalidating the warranty, Audi USA is hotter on this paying careful attention to the ECU each time the car is taken back to save paying for things they don't have to, it's understandable though as modified car culture is bigger over there.

well, yeah, but we had this debate on the various Revo remap threads. as i said, 120HP would seem ludicrous to me from a map, but hearing the engine's already choked off and they're in effect negating that first makes the figures a lot more believeable to me. if i've got the dosh next year i'd love to get a map. the Revo sounded canny but i think it would be better to get one for my car rather than an off-the-shelf map.
Revo Software has full adjust-ability built in, the dealer will road test and log your vehicle, customising the settings (Timing, Boost, Fueling) to get optimum performance for your needs and to suit your own car. Winter sale is on at the moment too, so why not take advantage.

Attachments

• 1456047_10153536810380118_754606860_n.jpg
    1456047_10153536810380118_754606860_n.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 155
This is where your confused, non approved items and items affected by it's fitment aka remap and all things related. Regardless of what Audi dealers will or won't cover after it's been mapped the fact is they should not cover items invalidating the warranty, Audi USA is hotter on this paying careful attention to the ECU each time the car is taken back to save paying for things they don't have to, it's understandable though as modified car culture is bigger over there.

Sorry, I'm not clear what you're saying?

Revo Software has full adjust-ability built in, the dealer will road test and log your vehicle, customising the settings (Timing, Boost, Fueling) to get optimum performance for your needs and to suit your own car. Winter sale is on at the moment too, so why not take advantage.
Are you really trying to compare the SPS adjust-ability to a custom map done by somebody who know what they are doing ??

As far as I am made aware the 120bhp is the 170 de tuned therefor your are in fact tuning the 170 to 235The figures they quote for the remap of the 170 are identical to that of the 120 as I mentioned before this engine has been capable if 225bhp sine about 2002 in the Leon Cupra R.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
The 1.8 TFSI engine today is a totally different engine with direct injection. Not really to be compared to the old 1.8T