Remap and insurance

vanko

Reaction score
Hi folks,
After reading different opinions I want to ask a the question directly and possibly to summarise the subject.How important it is to report the remap to your insurer? Is it possible for them to find out if the car needs a repair or it is written off?
I see many people having recaps but no mention of reports to insurance so I'm a bit hesitant with the issue.

If you want to risk it go ahead , but if you declare it you know your 100% covered

If you don't declare it,and are involved in an accident and it is discovered,your insurance will be invalidated.

The extra cost of the insurance,relative to what would happen otherwise is usually very small indeed.

Finding it,or evidence of it having been there isn't that difficult,and a good number of insurance companies are wise to it,and as you know,will do anything to avoid a payout.

Reactions: SimonSystems
...with all the kit I've got fitted (see siggy) - and I've even declared what is being fitted this weekend - the insurance went up a mind-boggling £15.00 per annum! You would be best advised to declare - the alternative is frightening...

Simon

Reactions: SnazzyWafles and S3Alex
As above, 100% declare it mate. I used to be of the mindset to not inform insurers of performance mods like remaps etc. but that was when I was in a cheap old Corsa, however the cost of repairing an Audi out of your own pocket is something not worth even thinking about. Go on a comparison website like comparethemarket and do a quote with your vehicle plus mods to see how much it goes up by, I bet you'll be surprised (depending on age and claim history of course). Even if it's worst case a couple hundred pounds extra for the year, I'd much rather the security of knowing I'm covered, then the possibility of having to fork out thousands myself.

If you have a serious accident and injury , or god forbid , kill someone then you would be in some serious **** if your insurance company pull cover ! Declare everything, not worth the risk. insurance companies actively check for remaps now .

Hi,
We would strongly recommend notifying your insurer of any modifications. If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Adrian flux sorted me out a decent deal!

both admiral and elephant give the option to declare loads of different mods on their website without having to speak to someone on the phone. Simple way to work out roughly how much different mods can add to your premium.

i never declared mods on my done up corsa, however once i got a renaultsport clio that i cared about that all changed, declare it to cover yourself as there are plenty of dodgy drivers out there