Remap advice 2.0 bkd please

Niteflite

Reaction score
remap booked with reputable company on Thursday. These are the figures he is quoting, said stage 2 best but if i want more will put it stage 3 for free. Only mod is egr delete. With solid gasket.

Ok so a stage 2 remap:
140-180bhp
320-400nm torque
And 3-4mpg increase

Stage 3:
140-195bhp
320-435nm torque

Do the figures seem right
Thanks

Stage 3 will destroy your stock turbo in a few weeks if that and probably cause some clutch slip over 400nm

Stick with somthing around 180bhp

With tdi's its all about how smooth the map is and how much space is under the line, not spikey peaks.

If you want more than 180, look into hybrids and uprated clutches as the sheer torque kills stock set ups. Everything else on the car should be good for 220bhp ish.

Someone told me this stage 2 is actually stage 1 ,is that right and do you reckon the first is a safe bet, thanks

Well with the your engine (and mine) we dont tend to get stages. Typically you get threr types of maps.

The super conservative fuel economy map which tends to be very smooth and around 170bhp

The safe power increase which will have a bit more punch than the econemy map but will still be generally safe for the turbo etc.

And finally the all out power map which will be very punchy, and hit about 190 at the top end.

I personally would avoid the all out power (190) as the economy(170) and safe power(180) will just increase fueling while the all out power will also up boost. Upping boost on our turbo is a silly idea unless its been uprated or hybridised.

My suggestion is to go for somthing around 180 as its within the safe margins while still being punchy. Relistically the car will be getting used and isnt a dyno queen so a spikey 190 will destroy it in a few weeks to months.

When I get my map done, I will be going for just increased fueling. Ideally as high as I can get with a bit of smoke so 185 fingers crossed :)

Any other questions feel free to fire away

Thank you for that, came from a 130pd golf that was very torque minded low in the revs to this, not a speed demon at all but would like that low acceleration again if you see what i mean

Reactions: SnazzyWafles
Is the pd130 alot torquer than the pd140 low down? Might just be the golf being lighter? But yeah, maps tend to make the pd140 alot more drivable as on their stock map its a bit all then nothing i.e. breathless after 3000 rpm.

My golf possibly mapped, was a mark 4 so lighter. Pulled in 6th really well, Audi standard seems a bit sluggish for a pd engine with 140 bhp unless your over 2500 and below 3000

Stage 3 will destroy your stock turbo in a few weeks if that and probably cause some clutch slip over 400nm

Stick with somthing around 180bhp

With tdi's its all about how smooth the map is and how much space is under the line, not spikey peaks.

If you want more than 180, look into hybrids and uprated clutches as the sheer torque kills stock set ups. Everything else on the car should be good for 220bhp ish.

Is everything else good on the car for 250bhp? I've got an uprated clutch thinking of getting big turbo next

Naaaa stock injectors can run out of puff as low as 215bhp, typically people see around 220.

Also with 250bhp you would probably want to decat. A big turbo would also probably benifit from a upgraded intercooler aswell. Im not sure what else as relistically the furthest I'm going is a hybrid if my turbo fails (this on is only on 15000 miles so probably got a while to wait.

Oh and with everything, if your upping your cars power stick some meater brakes on it and a quality set of rubbers :)

Take SnazzyWaffles advice, all makes sense. The BKD will respond well to about 170-180bhp remap. Above that and you are heading for trouble given the age of the engine, oil pump problems and a possible porous cylinder head.
I also had a Mk4 Golf PD130 with a remap. the engine was one of the best for tuning and reliability.

Already got bigger brakes/better suspension and wheels/tyres etc. Now just want more power :)
Looking at taking it to dervtech, they've got a 220bhp and 250bhp turbo. Fancy the 250bhp one as wanna challenge some S3's but don't fancy having to fork out hundreds on injectors, fmic, exhaust etc. on top of the turbo

Well to hit 250 you would probably only need the injectors, I wouldnt advise it though. I can see restrictions in the exhaust and in the intercool holding you back. As well as the fact the increased egt would probably completely destroy the stock downpipe/cat. (It might not but I dont know anyone running a stock exhuast with a big turbo kit.

I would also start to worry about traction on a 250bhp capable tdi as it will have silly torque figures. If your fwd, look forward to being introduced to all your local hedges.

Got told stock injectors would be good to 240bhp? Hmmm. Been tempted to get a new exhaust for a while for aesthetic/sound reasons as much as anything so might be worth it so it can handle more power too.

What is the deal with air filters on a diesel too? Heard that the stock paper filter and box is better than anything else? Love the look of the APR carbon fibre intake but be assed spending £200/300 if there's no performance gains.

Yeah really wish I'd got a quattro now, it handles like a dream on the new coilovers (as long as it's dry), but am replacing front tyres almost twice a year :( Second gear is a nightmare for wheelspin

If you intend to go to 240/250bhp, with a stock diff the inside wheel will be spinning away as you exit corners, been there and done that wit a tuned Fabia. An LSD should be on your list.

No improved I/cooler and you'll be overheating the turbo and the rest of the engine, they won't last long.

Well with injectors different people have found different things, brand new might be 240, most people I've seen get around 230.

Yeah the stock intake is pretty good on the tdi's. Sound wise its a bit naff but performance wise as long as the filter is clean, it will happily feed your car nice cold air. You could maybe squeeze another 1bhp from a performace insert.

As @Soot1 has said, if you don't get the supporting mods, yes you might make 250bhp but you will be unable to use it and will drastically shorten the life of your engine.

Too get back on subject with this thread.

PD140 mapping

140 to 170 = good fuel economy and very low risk

170 to 185 = good power increase, less so economy increase, still low risk but increase wear on clutch etc

185 to 195 = do this if you have a passion for replacing turbos and pulling turbo shards out of your inter cooler

And as with everything go with a well known generic Revo, Shark, Bluefin or a well known custom which members on the form will point you too

Reactions: Niteflite
Bit of marketing going on there with "Stage 3" as 2 seem like Stage 1 figures .

As with any single plate clutch watch the torque and how smooth and progressive it comes in , high bhp is fine , it's more about the torque .

Anyone wanting above 220 bhp and more importantly it's respective torque in a fwd should really of bought a quattro .

My TDI quattro went from 170bhp to 202bhp & 460nm torque. Done 123k miles, CR 09 plate & touch wood the clutch hasn't slipped once!

I have fitted a gtb2056vk turbo on a a3 pd 170tdi Quattro. It had very, very good response with a 3" downpipe and a custom remap. However the drivetrain started to suffer: transfer box broke after a few thousand miles due to agressive driving and had to disconnect the rear haldex plug in order to drive it in Fwd mode. This made the car very twitchy and plain dangerous !

Well with injectors different people have found different things, brand new might be 240, most people I've seen get around 230.

Yeah the stock intake is pretty good on the tdi's. Sound wise its a bit naff but performance wise as long as the filter is clean, it will happily feed your car nice cold air. You could maybe squeeze another 1bhp from a performace insert.

As @Soot1 has said, if you don't get the supporting mods, yes you might make 250bhp but you will be unable to use it and will drastically shorten the life of your engine.

Too get back on subject with this thread.

PD140 mapping

140 to 170 = good fuel economy and very low risk

170 to 185 = good power increase, less so economy increase, still low risk but increase wear on clutch etc

185 to 195 = do this if you have a passion for replacing turbos and pulling turbo shards out of your inter cooler

And as with everything go with a well known generic Revo, Shark, Bluefin or a well known custom which members on the form will point you too

Excellent thanks for the help on this, he is saying his stage 2 which he calls it is a safe bet for increase in power but not going mad

Yeah with the stage 2 depending on millage you might need a new clutch after a bit, im on 92k so I'll probably get a new oem clutch before my map or just after.

Everything else should be absolutly fine though and more importaintly safe. Just make sure your regularly maintenance is done as old oil will kill these cars

did the oil and all filter changes yesterday so nice and fresh already, good to go