Reliability / remap

Lee_1

Reaction score
hi guys

Wondering any one on here could tell me how reliable Audi s3s are I have the Audi s3 8p dsg gearbox one and wondered what I would have to look out for ??

I do also want to remap to stage 2 soon and also wondered if any one on here has had any problems with theres, also the limits the engine can go to ?? So if any one could give help me before I go to stage 2 and let me no thanks

Where are thinking of going to get it mapped? If you are anywhere near Manchester Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments is very good and has mapped many peoples cars off here.

hi guys

Wondering any one on here could tell me how reliable Audi s3s are I have the Audi s3 8p dsg gearbox one and wondered what I would have to look out for ??

I do also want to remap to stage 2 soon and also wondered if any one on here has had any problems with theres, also the limits the engine can go to ?? So if any one could give help me before I go to stage 2 and let me no thanks

S3 is generally very reliable,providing you look after it and service it regularly,especially if mapped etc.

The Haldex does need servicing at the correct time or it may fail,but otherwise apart from plugs,coilpacks and occasional oil pickup problems its a good car.

STg2 causes no reliability issues,and if you want to look at how far you can go,take a trawl through my thread here....

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/time-for-a-build-thread-big-turbo.106134/

If you can't bear that,the engine on stock internals is good for around 450bhp/450lbs(remembering that it's torque that kills rods),and if you build it well,with good components,over 600bhp is quite doable,but costly.

Also...welcome to ASN

Last edited:
S3 is generally very reliable,providing you look after it and service it regularly,especially if mapped etc.

The Haldex does need servicing at the correct time or it may fail,but otherwise apart from plugs,coilpacks and occasional oil pickup problems its a good car.

STg2 causes no reliability issues,and if you want to look at how far you can go,take a trawl through my thread here....

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/time-for-a-build-thread-big-turbo.106134/

If you can't bear that,the engine on stock internals is good for around 450bhp/450lbs(remembering that it's torque that kills rods),and if you build it well,with good components,over 600bhp is quite doable,but costly.

Also...welcome to ASN

Okay thank you I do look after my cars well I normally service them twice a year even tho sometimes isn't really needed but I like to make sure it's running well

I didn't no the coil packs spark plugs oil pick up go on them I will look out for that if It starts to play up its only done 46k now and I got the car on 42500k and I only had it 6 months but as this is my first s3 appreciate you telling me that

i won't go any further than stage 2 I only want to get it to like 360 to 380 or something like that if I can but that's probly more stage 3 but yeah nah I won't be going no where near 600bhp that's to much money to be spending I now no what the engine is capable of .. but thanks for your help appreciate that

More importantly than plugs (which need replacing regularly on any performance car) is the DV (also known as the bypass valve) situated at the front of the engine and the PCV on the top of the engine. Both are common failure areas, but as Alex stated, generally a very reliable unit. Coil packs on later facelift models are very reliable too in my experience.

Reactions: Lee_1 and S3Alex
Okay thank you I do look after my cars well I normally service them twice a year even tho sometimes isn't really needed but I like to make sure it's running well

I didn't no the coil packs spark plugs oil pick up go on them I will look out for that if It starts to play up its only done 46k now and I got the car on 42500k and I only had it 6 months but as this is my first s3 appreciate you telling me that

i won't go any further than stage 2 I only want to get it to like 360 to 380 or something like that if I can but that's probly more stage 3 but yeah nah I won't be going no where near 600bhp that's to much money to be spending I now no what the engine is capable of .. but thanks for your help appreciate that

I'm sure you'll love it.

There are plenty of options power-wise,and a few good hybrid turbos on the market now,meaning you don't have to go to the lengths I've gone to,and still get a decently quick car,without spending loads on it.

More importantly than plugs (which need replacing regularly on any performance car) is the DV (also known as the bypass valve) situated at the front of the engine and the PCV on the top of the engine. Both are common failure areas, but as Alex stated, generally a very reliable unit. Coil packs on later facelift models are very reliable too in my experience.

To be honest,mine is still on it's original coilpacks,at 85000 miles,and 550+bhp.....

As you say,the DV and PCV are not great either......the GFB DV+ is a very good replacement,and I got rid of the entire breather system...LOL

I won't go any further than stage 2 I only want to get it to like 360 to 380 or something like that

Stage 2 will only get you around 325bhp and 340lbs, stage 2+ will get you 370-380bhp and 380-390lbs, of which all is required is a high pressure fuel pump for you as you've got DSG (so no new clutch needed). The Autotech internals are only £330 or the Loba unit is £530 and that's it go go stage 2+ from stage 2, an RS4 fuel pressure return valve for £48 is recommended as it can remove a flatspot at 5K on aggressive maps.

As it's service regularly that's good, make sure the Cam Follower is inspected every time (or every 5K) for wear and replace if needs be. Make sure to run a 5W40 oil for the remap, preferably Millers Nanodrive or Motul 300V.

Reactions: S3Alex